01-31-2017 02:23 PM
145 12345 ...
tools
    I'm pretty sure it's on most if not all at&t phones. Definitely on the note 3 (but I was able to root and disable it), so I'm sure it's on the note 4 (no root method, so we are stuck with it). You can use one of the carrier iq detectors in the app store to check.
    Yes I have when I had AT&T phones as as before the s2 skyrocket had it but the. Got taken off , s3 and s4 didn't have it . Either way I'm not paranoid enough to care and t-mobile has it on their phones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-26-2014 09:53 PM
    I returned my Note 4 today. I'm waiting until the Nexus 6 comes out and I can read reviews to make a decision. I may very well go back to the Note 4, but I at least want the chance to choose and I want that decision based on real reviews of the Nexus 6. If I had kept the Note 4 and decided I liked the Nexus 6 more it would have been past my return period. Going this route allows me the chance to decide and not wonder which was better for me.

Aside from that, would you people talking about Nexus not having pure Android just stop it already. It is pure Android and a few proprietary Google apps doesn't change that. It can't even remotely be compared to the changes made by Samsung with Touchwiz and I wish you stop implying that it can.

AOSP is Android minus the Play Store and a handful of preinstalled apps. That's it. Google makes the release and merges the code into the AOSP repositories and others take it and do what they will with it. Google is Android's daddy whether you like it or not, and forcing a handful of preinstalled apps does not suddenly change the open nature of the underlying system. Samsung, for the sake of example, starts with the same AOSP base that Google starts with on the Nexus, the difference is Google installs a few apps you can wholly choose to ignore while Samsung preinstalls the same apps so they can keep the Play Store access and then further bloats the crap out of it and changes the entire UI from the ground up.

Hate it all you want, deny it all you want, but Nexus phones are the closest to AOSP you're going to get and for the majority of the normal Android using world, they are stock.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-26-2014 09:54 PM
    Yes I have when I had AT&T phones as as before the s2 skyrocket had it but the. Got taken off , s3 and s4 didn't have it . Either way I'm not paranoid enough to care and t-mobile has it on their phones

Yeah, but T-Mobile allows you to opt out. I'm not sure I care enough anyway to worry about it. If I do, I'm going to sell my at&t note 4 and use the money to buy a T-Mobile note 4 (unlock it) and use it on my at&t plan. Some guys at xda said they have no problem with their T-Mobile note 4s on at&t.
    10-26-2014 10:12 PM
    I use the scanner and like it a lot. It's just like swiping to unlock the screen before, but with security. You can still use a password, if you so choose.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-26-2014 10:34 PM
    Wanted to see people's thoughts.

Had my Note 4. For 9 days now. Love it but it's not wowing me like I thought. I did come from a Note 3 however.

Touchwiz is much better than note 3. But I'm with AT&T, and their bloatware, with Touchwiz is ridiculous

I'm reading alot of good things with the Nexus 6, including huge QHD screen, pure Android experience and Lollipop

Downsides to Nexus 6 is no SD slot and cannot exchange the battery.

I'm torn. Not sure if I should try the nexus 6 or not. I hate losing the SD card because I have a ton of music and pics on my 128 gb microSD card

What are your thoughts. Anyone else curious about the nexus 6 or even considering pre-ordering it?

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk
    I was in a similar situation, but I was coming from Nexus 5. I had mine since launch day and returned it today. I realize nothing beats Nexus, at least for me. You arent crazy for considering the switch lol
    Old Guy 59 likes this.
    10-26-2014 10:39 PM
    I was in a similar situation, but I was coming from Nexus 5. I had mine since launch day and returned it today. I realize nothing beats Nexus, at least for me. You arent crazy for considering the switch lol
    Just curious. What things made you return the note and go back to the Nexus?

I've never owned a nexus, and the note 4 is only my second Android ever, the note 3 was my first.

10-26-2014 10:53 PM
    well if i own a note 3, i wont buy a note 4 because i dont any different from my end. if i own a note 4, i wont buy a nexus 6 because of missing micro sd card slot
    10-26-2014 11:12 PM
    Wanted to see people's thoughts.

Had my Note 4. For 9 days now. Love it but it's not wowing me like I thought. I did come from a Note 3 however.

Touchwiz is much better than note 3. But I'm with AT&T, and their bloatware, with Touchwiz is ridiculous

I'm reading alot of good things with the Nexus 6, including huge QHD screen, pure Android experience and Lollipop

Downsides to Nexus 6 is no SD slot and cannot exchange the battery.

I'm torn. Not sure if I should try the nexus 6 or not. I hate losing the SD card because I have a ton of music and pics on my 128 gb microSD card

What are your thoughts. Anyone else curious about the nexus 6 or even considering pre-ordering it?

Wow, its ironic as I was in the same situation and to a certain degree, I still am. Here Is my story and parts will sound rather odd.....

I was initially very irritated that Kit Kat took so long to get to the Note 3. When it did arrive, it was disappointing since most features were not seen because of Touch Wiz. I still loved the Note 3 so, I was willing to forgive and forget.

Move ahead to September when Apple announced the IPhone 6 and Apple Pay. That started my decision to try and look at Google Wallet once again. After delaying checkout lines, I called Verizon and then they put me through to Samsung and Google only to find that Google Wallet and the Note 3 were not going to work and there was no software patch release in site.

I decided to go on a quest to look at the Galaxy Gear S because I heard that they were going to have a preview of the device there. I vowed that if I like what I saw, I would stay in the Samsung echo system otherwise I would move on. At one point in time, I tried out the Moto 360 and it was okay but not great so, I returned it. Recently, I wound up purchasing the Moto 360 once again and decided I would not return that device.

After my preview of the Galaxy Gear S, I decided that I was going to try a more "Pure Android" device. I decided to try out the Moto X after deciding between the Nexus 6, HTC M8, LG G3 and Note 4. I ordered the Moto X last week and they shipped it to me very fast. Right after I ordered the device, I decided I was going to get some accessories like a case and screen protector. That was VERY hard to find. The selection is horrible.

Thursday of last week, I got the Moto X and took off from work early to set it up and play with it. I played with it all day Thursday and all day Friday. I found that the device had no battery saver mode, the keyboard did not have text prediction and was very basic. As I started to play with it more, I noticed that I was downloading a lot of apps similar to what the Note 4 had. Now the phone started to bog down and the battery life that was not all that bad was starting to get worse. I found myself needing to add a battery saver, turning off sync and doing other stuff as getting annoying. I really was reliving my experience with the Galaxy S3. I went to bed on Friday, with mixed feelings. I then woke up on Saturday morning and decided to call Motorola to return the Moto X and get my Note 3 reactivated.

The grass was not all that green on the other side. In summary, I felt like I was adding things to the Moto X to the point where I was creating a mini Note 3/4. I also thought that not having a removable SD card was not going to be a big deal. After all, most of the music and pictures can be stored in the cloud. That thinking did not work out like I thought it would either. I really wanted to like the Moto X and keep it. I really wanted to try something new away from Samsung. Now, once the dust settles in my account, I will probably get the Note 4.

Interesting part of Google Wallet and Verizon won't admit to this, I am sure. Their SoftCard thingy works on the Note 3. Its odd how Google Wallet is not working on the Note 3 but, Softcard does. Just heard that some merchants are stopping the NFC in their stores like CVS and RiteAid because they want to come up with their own processing so, I guess the Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Softcard and others will have to battle it out. I do know for sure, I am not going to have multiple apps for each store. I will go back to the card swipe if that happens.
    Crispy and mchi5 like this.
    10-26-2014 11:45 PM
    Wow, its ironic as I was in the same situation and to a certain degree, I still am. Here Is my story and parts will sound rather odd.....

I was initially very irritated that Kit Kat took so long to get to the Note 3. When it did arrive, it was disappointing since most features were not seen because of Touch Wiz. I still loved the Note 3 so, I was willing to forgive and forget.

Move ahead to September when Apple announced the IPhone 6 and Apple Pay. That started my decision to try and look at Google Wallet once again. After delaying checkout lines, I called Verizon and then they put me through to Samsung and Google only to find that Google Wallet and the Note 3 were not going to work and there was no software patch release in site.

I decided to go on a quest to look at the Galaxy Gear S because I heard that they were going to have a preview of the device there. I vowed that if I like what I saw, I would stay in the Samsung echo system otherwise I would move on. At one point in time, I tried out the Moto 360 and it was okay but not great so, I returned it. Recently, I wound up purchasing the Moto 360 once again and decided I would not return that device.

After my preview of the Galaxy Gear S, I decided that I was going to try a more "Pure Android" device. I decided to try out the Moto X after deciding between the Nexus 6, HTC M8, LG G3 and Note 4. I ordered the Moto X last week and they shipped it to me very fast. Right after I ordered the device, I decided I was going to get some accessories like a case and screen protector. That was VERY hard to find. The selection is horrible.

Thursday of last week, I got the Moto X and took off from work early to set it up and play with it. I played with it all day Thursday and all day Friday. I found that the device had no battery saver mode, the keyboard did not have text prediction and was very basic. As I started to play with it more, I noticed that I was downloading a lot of apps similar to what the Note 4 had. Now the phone started to bog down and the battery life that was not all that bad was starting to get worse. I found myself needing to add a battery saver, turning off sync and doing other stuff as getting annoying. I really was reliving my experience with the Galaxy S3. I went to bed on Friday, with mixed feelings. I then woke up on Saturday morning and decided to call Motorola to return the Moto X and get my Note 3 reactivated.

The grass was not all that green on the other side. In summary, I felt like I was adding things to the Moto X to the point where I was creating a mini Note 3/4. I also thought that not having a removable SD card was not going to be a big deal. After all, most of the music and pictures can be stored in the cloud. That thinking did not work out like I thought it would either. I really wanted to like the Moto X and keep it. I really wanted to try something new away from Samsung. Now, once the dust settles in my account, I will probably get the Note 4.

Interesting part of Google Wallet and Verizon won't admit to this, I am sure. Their SoftCard thingy works on the Note 3. Its odd how Google Wallet is not working on the Note 3 but, Softcard does. Just heard that some merchants are stopping the NFC in their stores like CVS and RiteAid because they want to come up with their own processing so, I guess the Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Softcard and others will have to battle it out. I do know for sure, I am not going to have multiple apps for each store. I will go back to the card swipe if that happens.
    Thanks for sharing the story. It does put it in perspective and that maybe the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

10-27-2014 12:07 AM
    That's a LOT of phone.....
    10-27-2014 12:08 AM
    I thought about the Nexus as well since it was finally coming back to Verizon. I could deal with 64gb storage once I found out that would be an option. The cons for me are the camera and the form factor. The curved back with thicker in the middle and thinner on the edges design is something that doesn't interest me. Sure, it's 6 inches. But, adding in the on screen keys, you lose the extra real estate for most functions. Add to that the increased size, I just think it's too big. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Even though having on screen buttons takes up space, you can enable full screen mode in almost all apps if you know how to. On screen buttons are a lot better than capacitive, because they can't be used as screen space at all.
    10-27-2014 12:16 AM
    It's a matter of choice personally I would never touch a phone without micrso sd and a removable battery.

As much as I can't stand knox, tw I love the physical home button, over the top customization and Amoled plus the S Pen.

Also the N 6 is way too big for me plus all the afore mentioned disadvantages I would have prefered the Note 4 to be around 5.5. But thanks to the one handed mode I should be fine.

I think I'm a Samsung guy

Sent from my BlackBerry
    10-27-2014 12:53 AM
    I'd go note personally and I did. Touch wiz is smooth on the note 4 and not as clunky as it was on the s5
    10-27-2014 01:35 AM
    I'll be sticking with the Note 4.
    10-27-2014 01:52 AM
    I suspect the Note 4 will see Lollipop fairly quickly.
    Why do you suspect this? Care to make a prediction of when?
    10-27-2014 02:41 AM
    Thanks for sharing the story. It does put it in perspective and that maybe the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Another thing that I forgot to add, I recently installed Nova Launcher on my Note 3 and had that set up. Then when I went to the Moto X, the interface was cool but it needed some form of organization. I then wound up installing the Nova Launcher onto my Moto X on Friday and started to configure that. I liked the Nova Launcher way better than the stock launcher which also got me thinking....If I have the Nova Launcher installed on the Moto X, does that defeat the main purpose of getting closer to Stock Android?

Also, if you like Android L, there are some apps that you can download, including Nova, to get a similar look and feel to Android L. It was on some podcast on Friday.
    10-27-2014 09:02 AM
    Another thing that I forgot to add, I recently installed Nova Launcher on my Note 3 and had that set up. Then when I went to the Moto X, the interface was cool but it needed some form of organization. I then wound up installing the Nova Launcher onto my Moto X on Friday and started to configure that. I liked the Nova Launcher way better than the stock launcher which also got me thinking....If I have the Nova Launcher installed on the Moto X, does that defeat the main purpose of getting closer to Stock Android?

Also, if you like Android L, there are some apps that you can download, including Nova, to get a similar look and feel to Android L. It was on some podcast on Friday.
    Yeah I have to agree. I had Nova Launcher on the note 3 and now just installed it on the note 4. Love it. Makes everything faster and smoother

10-27-2014 10:27 AM
    You're not crazy. I had my Nexus 5 for almost a year and I absolutely loved it. It was such a good phone and it converted me completely to pure Android. I think the Nexus 6 is everything I wanted to believe the 5 was. My decision to drop the 5 and move to the Note 4 was the camera and trying to get good shots of my girls. The Nexus 5 has a good camera, but the video that it records is absolutely horrendous.

My only issue with the Nexus 6, is that I would only go over a 5.5" screen if there was a reason for it. Otherwise i'd want to stay around the 5.3" or smaller range. The Note 4 can justify the size because of the S pen. If it doesn't offer anything like that and is just big for the sake of being big then I would keep the Note 4 and get the Nexus 7 or 9. That's my plan.
    10-27-2014 10:55 AM
    You're not crazy. I had my Nexus 5 for almost a year and I absolutely loved it. It was such a good phone and it converted me completely to pure Android. I think the Nexus 6 is everything I wanted to believe the 5 was. My decision to drop the 5 and move to the Note 4 was the camera and trying to get good shots of my girls. The Nexus 5 has a good camera, but the video that it records is absolutely horrendous.

My only issue with the Nexus 6, is that I would only go over a 5.5" screen if there was a reason for it. Otherwise i'd want to stay around the 5.3" or smaller range. The Note 4 can justify the size because of the S pen. If it doesn't offer anything like that and is just big for the sake of being big then I would keep the Note 4 and get the Nexus 7 or 9. That's my plan.
    That is one of the reasons why I wanted to go with the Moto X as opposed to the Nexus 6. With my hands that are starting to develop arthritis, reaching for some of the keys on the Note is a problem. The Nexus is wider than the Note 3.

There are some early camera shots with the Nexus somewhere on the Internet. Overall, the camera was not that impressive from what I could see and this was based on a report about 2 weeks ago????Not sure of the date but it was shortly after the Nexus 6 announcement
    10-27-2014 11:10 AM
    For those recommending launchers please remember that the launcher only affects the home screen. For those that hate skins (in my case I mostly am just not a fan of Touchwiz) a launcher is not a full solution since every other screen/menu is Touchwiz.
    Snake Griffin and IrishFXDB like this.
    10-27-2014 12:29 PM
    For those recommending launchers please remember that the launcher only affects the home screen. For those that hate skins (in my case I mostly am just not a fan of Touchwiz) a launcher is not a full solution since every other screen/menu is Touchwiz.
    This all day. It helps when you're on the home screen, but Touchwiz is still there in pretty much everything else because it is an entire UI, not just a launcher.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-27-2014 12:41 PM
    and no stylus no matter how little I use it

Really?
    Snake Griffin likes this.
    10-27-2014 02:53 PM

I use Nova Launcher on all my devices, I like the control and features that the launcher provides. As others said, don't confuse Touchwiz with launcher. TW is much more than that, it's a system-wide implementation that includes the way various system apps look and behave. I didn't like TW on my GS3 and have been really turned off from Samsung devices because of it. Despite the fact that TW has changed since then I've tried it and it still just doesn't appeal to me. The only feature of TW that I liked was smart stay and I don't really miss it. My Moto X has been just a much better fit for me and for how I use a smart phone. I'm still interested in the Note 4 or the Nexus 6 though and will wait to try out both myself when I can do a hands-on; if I don't feel like either is a worthwhile upgrade then I'll stick with the Moto.
    10-27-2014 03:04 PM
    If I where you I will stick with Note 4, cant beat the stylus and the great resolution
    10-27-2014 08:23 PM
    Yes you are crazy. I ditched the Nexus five for my note 4 and I will never look back to a Nexus device again. The frequent updates from Google and stock android are extremely overrated in my opinion . Stock android is extremely boring and lacking in functionality . I had a dozen or so apps downloaded from the play store just to get the functionality that I wanted from my Nexus five , where as the note 4 does all of that stuff right out-of-the-box because of touch Wiz . I no longer need those dozen or so third-party apps to get the functionality that I want. Almost all of the apps i run on my note 4 are the stock apps that came with it and I'm perfectly happy with that for the first time ever. This is actually the first phone that I don't even run nova launcher on as I get almost the same level of functionality from touch Wiz that I do from nova launcher . Add to that the awesomeness of the spen which I use almost all the time , the bigger battery, the way better camera , and I will never look back.

Posted via Android Central App
    although you used these apps, that doesnt mean everyone else will. its nice to have the option to download them or REMOVE them if you want, out of the box.
    10-27-2014 08:26 PM
145 12345 ...