Note 4 to Nexus 6, am I crazy?

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Wanted to see people's thoughts.

Had my Note 4. For 9 days now. Love it but it's not wowing me like I thought. I did come from a Note 3 however.

Touchwiz is much better than note 3. But I'm with AT&T, and their bloatware, with Touchwiz is ridiculous

I'm reading alot of good things with the Nexus 6, including huge QHD screen, pure Android experience and Lollipop

Downsides to Nexus 6 is no SD slot and cannot exchange the battery.

I'm torn. Not sure if I should try the nexus 6 or not. I hate losing the SD card because I have a ton of music and pics on my 128 gb microSD card

What are your thoughts. Anyone else curious about the nexus 6 or even considering pre-ordering it?

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
MultiWindow is the reason why I went with the Note 4, frankly it should be standard on any 5"+ flagships.

It doesn't help that Google is only releasing it in the US on the 29th.

The Note 4 was an upgrade, up here it's hard to buy it out right. At least the nexus 6 gives me that option.

Having said that I do like it, tough call though.

tapatalk LG pro D852

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
You're not crazy. If I didn't use the s pen as much as I do, I'd be three too. I'd like to wait and see what the camera is like though.

Having said all of that, I may at some point consider selling the note 4 for a nexus 6 and used note 8 (so I can use the note taking feature at work the way I use my Note 3).

Ive loved my Nexus 4, 5, and 7. Especially since I could root and customize (not into custom roms anymore, but can still tweak it pretty good for my needs). And no carrier iq and carrier bloat to deal with.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Good news is my employer is fully reimbursing me for the Note 4 purchase which I made outright.

So if I decide to get the nexus 6 I basically lose nothing and if I decide to stay with the nexus, I can always sell the note 4 on eBay or something.

I do love the multi window function on the note 4. . However I rarely use the stylus, so that's not a plus for me

And the fingerprint scanner on the note 4. Unfortunately is a joke. I don't even use it.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Good news is my employer is fully reimbursing me for the Note 4 purchase which I made outright.

So if I decide to get the nexus 6 I basically lose nothing and if I decide to stay with the nexus, I can always sell the note 4 on eBay or something.

I do love the multi window function on the note 4. . However I rarely use the stylus, so that's not a plus for me

And the fingerprint scanner on the note 4. Unfortunately is a joke. I don't even use it.

Maybe for unlocking these device.

But the scanner is great for PayPal, and for other apps (such as last pass) that integrate it.

Posted via the Android Central App

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
You'll regret dropping the 4. It has the better screen, expandable storage, battery and better camera. Plus its slightly bigger bulkier thicker than the 4. Try google launcher on you're 4 as it will be as close to what you'll get on the Nexus and with lolipop coming for the 4 soon anyway. I thought about the Nexus 6 as well but it seems to be a slightly crippled but thicker bigger Note 4 to me. When you see one in person I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I thought about the Nexus as well since it was finally coming back to Verizon. I could deal with 64gb storage once I found out that would be an option. The cons for me are the camera and the form factor. The curved back with thicker in the middle and thinner on the edges design is something that doesn't interest me. Sure, it's 6 inches. But, adding in the on screen keys, you lose the extra real estate for most functions. Add to that the increased size, I just think it's too big. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm just gonna keep repeating this statement until enlightenment.

Pure android is not the same as pure Google, all nexus products are filled with proprietary closed sourced Google apps, and are therfore not pure android.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I know one of the reasons you are in thoughts if switched are due to touch whiz and the AT&T bloatware, but you can:

Use an alternative launcher to get the Google launcher effect, personally I like customizing my devices (the beauty of android) so I use nova launcher and it makes it so much easier and sets it the way you want.

The bloatware on the other hand, you can easily disable/turn off, and this allows these devices not to run.

The loss of the additional storage space and removable battery IMO are not work that extra large screen.

Again your wants and needs are different from mine, but these are the reasons, among others as to why I'd keep the note 4 (I've been a note use 1-4 and Samsung did something right with these devices, subtle but needed updates each year)

Live life, love life, excel life...

N1 . N2 .. N3 ... N4 #ILE
#ILoveEvolution

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm just gonna keep repeating this statement until enlightenment.

Pure android is not the same as pure Google, all nexus products are filled with proprietary closed sourced Google apps, and are therfore not pure android.
This is true. It's Google's version. I like it a lot and if I wasn't in the market for a note, I'd lean towards it. But TW is much improved since my sg3, and the extra functionality are what make it a note, and what make it an amazing smartphone and productivity tool.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I used to be one of those who believed no SD card was a deal breaker. I have about 80GB or so of music. You'd think I'd have a 128GB card on my Note 4, but you'd be wrong. I have a 64GB card. While I have music on there, I almost always use Play Music to listen to my tunes instead. It actually uses surprisingly little data (and of course none on WiFi). So if you are one of those who are hesitant to go with a Nexus device because you feel you need an SD card for all of your music, you should really reconsider your stance.

That said, I was torn between the Nexus 6 and the Note 4, and I'm glad I opted for the Note 4. The benefits of "pure Android" and the fear of TouchWiz and bloat are horribly overblown, to the point that I immediately tag any such arguments based on these as fundamentally flawed and intellectually dishonest. This is almost 2015, not 2012.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I used to be one of those who believed no SD card was a deal breaker. I have about 80GB or so of music. You'd think I'd have a 128GB card on my Note 4, but you'd be wrong. I have a 64GB card. While I have music on there, I almost always use Play Music to listen to my tunes instead. It actually uses surprisingly little data (and of course none on WiFi). So if you are one of those who are hesitant to go with a Nexus device because you feel you need an SD card for all of your music, you should really reconsider your stance.

That said, I was torn between the Nexus 6 and the Note 4, and I'm glad I opted for the Note 4. The benefits of "pure Android" and the fear of TouchWiz and bloat are horribly overblown, to the point that I immediately tag any such arguments based on these as fundamentally flawed and intellectually dishonest. This is almost 2015, not 2012.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I just find it terrible that Google is able to convince so many people somehow their skin is the best, all without showing any proof. Whatever Google does, all the tech sites just go retard and uniform their voice in praising.

The Google's RDF is catching up with apple real fast.

Plus, a year or two down the road, when you upgrade again, you can pop in a new battery in note 4 to sell on ebay, buyers will know they can have the phone with long lasting battery. That gotta improve the resale values.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You'll regret dropping the 4. It has the better screen, expandable storage, battery and better camera. Plus its slightly bigger bulkier thicker than the 4. Try google launcher on you're 4 as it will be as close to what you'll get on the Nexus and with lolipop coming for the 4 soon anyway. I thought about the Nexus 6 as well but it seems to be a slightly crippled but thicker bigger Note 4 to me. When you see one in person I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/Nexus-6-vs-Galaxy-Note-4-video-Carphone-Warehouse-1_zpsd33a5f95.png[/URL]

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/Nexus-6-vs-Galaxy-Note-4-video-Carphone-Warehouse-2_zpsaeca7177.png[/URL]
Yeah I would prefer to see it in person but don't know if any local carriers will have it on display

But thanks for the pics. Definitely a bit bigger than note 4, but it does have a bigger screen too, 5.9" to the notes 5.7"

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Don't tell people they'll regret it because the Note 4 has a better screen and camera. You don't know that and you're guessing. Linking a 1.5 minute "hands on" is not proof, either. Until proper testing and reviewing is done nobody knows if this is true.

Return the Note 4, wait for hands on time with the Nexus 6, or reviews, and make a decision. If you like the Nexus 6 more you can get it without being annoyed that you're already stuck with the Note 4. If you like the Note 4 more you can just buy it again.

I'm actually going to the store today to do this same thing. I bought my Note 4 outright and if I like the Nexus 6 more I will be pissed that I'm out $750+tax. If the Nexus 6 doesn't do it for me I'll just repurchase the Note 4.

I'm personally doing this because I don't use the S Pen, I turn off all of Samsung's motion features, smart view, health crap, and s voice. I replace the launcher with Google Now Launcher, I replace the keyboard with Google Keyboard, I don't have and won't create a Samsung account, removable battery means nothing to me and I haven't used an SD card in like 5 years. I bought the Note 2, 3, and 4 for the screen size and battery life and I can likely get the same from the Nexus 6 without the need to disable 20 different things. The one thing I will miss is the multi window functions, but I can live without them because most phones I've had don't offer anything like that and it isn't commonplace yet.

Oh, the camera is important to me as well because I have 2 kids. I know the sensor in the Nexus 6 isn't the same as the Moto X 2014 and that's good, but it could still suck. If the camera ends up sucking I will likely stick with the Note 4. Early reports are in fact indicating that the camera is very capable and the raw image processing only makes it better.

Finally, I will say that I would be more tempted to ignore the Nexus 6 if I knew for sure that the Note 4 was getting lollipop in December like rumors are saying. Well, that, and I knew that Samsung was going to actually adhere to Material Design concepts because the launcher is only part of Touchwiz. Even with all the changes I've done on my Note 4 I still have to see the horribleness of Touchwiz in the dialer, notifications shade, menus, etc.

Posted via the Android Central App

honey_bee_33

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The finger print scanner on the note 4 have been awesome for me. once I mastered the swip with my finger it works 99.9% of the time.

girls love tech too

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes you are crazy. I ditched the Nexus five for my note 4 and I will never look back to a Nexus device again. The frequent updates from Google and stock android are extremely overrated in my opinion . Stock android is extremely boring and lacking in functionality . I had a dozen or so apps downloaded from the play store just to get the functionality that I wanted from my Nexus five , where as the note 4 does all of that stuff right out-of-the-box because of touch Wiz . I no longer need those dozen or so third-party apps to get the functionality that I want. Almost all of the apps i run on my note 4 are the stock apps that came with it and I'm perfectly happy with that for the first time ever. This is actually the first phone that I don't even run nova launcher on as I get almost the same level of functionality from touch Wiz that I do from nova launcher . Add to that the awesomeness of the spen which I use almost all the time , the bigger battery, the way better camera , and I will never look back.

Posted via Android Central App