Note 4 to Nexus 6, am I crazy?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Please excuse this noob question, but when you say the Google Apps that come on the nexus are closed system, I'm confused. Do you mean you're locked into those programs?

I didn't think so but from your explanation it sounds like that's what you're saying.

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

I said "closed sourced", as the source code of most, if not all google apps are closed.

Pure android, as in AOSP, everything is open sourced.

In the beginning, when Open Handset Alliance was started, it was supposed to be open source response to iOS, and now google has been throwing in more and more closed sourced apps, and demand vendors have them pre-installed to be allowed to use play store.

The difference are important and should be clearly understood. Google is directing pure open android to a direction where other vendors will be 100% rely on google, they have been very successful in mixing the Nexus device with "pure android", even though they are different things.

Want a real "pure android"? try oneplus one.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling the Note's camera will stay superior to Nexus, but otherwise the Nexus is a greater than or equal device in every category and for less money. The button on the front (and possibly the micro-SD card) is enough for me to say no to the Note (the rumors that it'd finally be gone were fantastic while they lasted), but even if they both used standard buttons, TouchWiz is a major problem. Using another launcher doesn't help that at all, as it still rules the framework, as well as remaining stuck within menus, notifications, etc. Samsung seriously put out a great cameraphone this time, but otherwise it's just high specs with no class. It and the turbo both have a serious issue - permanent ICS (in the Note's case Froyo) buttons stuck on the front - forever.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you're crazy. The nexus 6 looks like a beast of a phone which matches the notes specs and is pure stock android. Feel in hand will determine if I buy. Liking it so far from what I've seen/hearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I thought about the nexus 6 and realized it's just a big nexus. The Note 4 adds some useful tricks like multiwindow and the s-pen (which I shocked myself with how much I use it on the 4 because I never used it on my 3). When I moved from my note 3 to my nexus 5 I knew I had made a mistake. I missed the sd card slot, the removable battery and multiwindow. Faster android updates isn't a big deal to me because most of the time the updates are minor anyway, the exception being android lollipop.

I love my Note 4 and I'm glad I chose it over the 6.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I think what's happening here is "grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome! If you'd bought the Nexus 6 first you'd be lamenting not getting the Note 4. When you have a device for a few days, it will lose it's shine. Unfortunately it's just human nature to want something shiny and new, especially when it can mean being stuck with the device for a long contract, although I know this doesn't necessarily apply to the op.

Posted via Android Central App

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think what's happening here is "grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome! If you'd bought the Nexus 6 first you'd be lamenting not getting the Note 4. When you have a device for a few days, it will lose it's shine. Unfortunately it's just human nature to want something shiny and new, especially when it can mean being stuck with the device for a long contract, although I know this doesn't necessarily apply to the op.

Posted via Android Central App
You may be right there. I personally hyped up the pre-order for the Note 4 So much, probably what happened. The actual experience and the anticipation didn't match.

Don't get me wrong I still think the note 4 is the best phone I've ever used and a million times better than any iPhone, but just curious about the nexus 6

Maybe if zerolemon will hurry and release their extended battery and someone finds a root solution for the Note 4 AT&T, I'd be very content

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Does AT&T add it to the note 4 ? I know e s2 skyrocket s3 and and s4 didn't have it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure it's on most if not all at&t phones. Definitely on the note 3 (but I was able to root and disable it), so I'm sure it's on the note 4 (no root method, so we are stuck with it). You can use one of the carrier iq detectors in the app store to check.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's on most if not all at&t phones. Definitely on the note 3 (but I was able to root and disable it), so I'm sure it's on the note 4 (no root method, so we are stuck with it). You can use one of the carrier iq detectors in the app store to check.

Yes I have when I had AT&T phones as as before the s2 skyrocket had it but the. Got taken off , s3 and s4 didn't have it . Either way I'm not paranoid enough to care and t-mobile has it on their phones

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I returned my Note 4 today. I'm waiting until the Nexus 6 comes out and I can read reviews to make a decision. I may very well go back to the Note 4, but I at least want the chance to choose and I want that decision based on real reviews of the Nexus 6. If I had kept the Note 4 and decided I liked the Nexus 6 more it would have been past my return period. Going this route allows me the chance to decide and not wonder which was better for me.

Aside from that, would you people talking about Nexus not having pure Android just stop it already. It is pure Android and a few proprietary Google apps doesn't change that. It can't even remotely be compared to the changes made by Samsung with Touchwiz and I wish you stop implying that it can.

AOSP is Android minus the Play Store and a handful of preinstalled apps. That's it. Google makes the release and merges the code into the AOSP repositories and others take it and do what they will with it. Google is Android's daddy whether you like it or not, and forcing a handful of preinstalled apps does not suddenly change the open nature of the underlying system. Samsung, for the sake of example, starts with the same AOSP base that Google starts with on the Nexus, the difference is Google installs a few apps you can wholly choose to ignore while Samsung preinstalls the same apps so they can keep the Play Store access and then further bloats the crap out of it and changes the entire UI from the ground up.

Hate it all you want, deny it all you want, but Nexus phones are the closest to AOSP you're going to get and for the majority of the normal Android using world, they are stock.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have when I had AT&T phones as as before the s2 skyrocket had it but the. Got taken off , s3 and s4 didn't have it . Either way I'm not paranoid enough to care and t-mobile has it on their phones

Yeah, but T-Mobile allows you to opt out. I'm not sure I care enough anyway to worry about it. If I do, I'm going to sell my at&t note 4 and use the money to buy a T-Mobile note 4 (unlock it) and use it on my at&t plan. Some guys at xda said they have no problem with their T-Mobile note 4s on at&t.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I use the scanner and like it a lot. It's just like swiping to unlock the screen before, but with security. You can still use a password, if you so choose.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to see people's thoughts.

Had my Note 4. For 9 days now. Love it but it's not wowing me like I thought. I did come from a Note 3 however.

Touchwiz is much better than note 3. But I'm with AT&T, and their bloatware, with Touchwiz is ridiculous

I'm reading alot of good things with the Nexus 6, including huge QHD screen, pure Android experience and Lollipop

Downsides to Nexus 6 is no SD slot and cannot exchange the battery.

I'm torn. Not sure if I should try the nexus 6 or not. I hate losing the SD card because I have a ton of music and pics on my 128 gb microSD card

What are your thoughts. Anyone else curious about the nexus 6 or even considering pre-ordering it?

I was in a similar situation, but I was coming from Nexus 5. I had mine since launch day and returned it today. I realize nothing beats Nexus, at least for me. You arent crazy for considering the switch lol

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I was in a similar situation, but I was coming from Nexus 5. I had mine since launch day and returned it today. I realize nothing beats Nexus, at least for me. You arent crazy for considering the switch lol
Just curious. What things made you return the note and go back to the Nexus?

I've never owned a nexus, and the note 4 is only my second Android ever, the note 3 was my first.

OTTO002

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
well if i own a note 3, i wont buy a note 4 because i dont any different from my end. if i own a note 4, i wont buy a nexus 6 because of missing micro sd card slot

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Wanted to see people's thoughts.

Had my Note 4. For 9 days now. Love it but it's not wowing me like I thought. I did come from a Note 3 however.

Touchwiz is much better than note 3. But I'm with AT&T, and their bloatware, with Touchwiz is ridiculous

I'm reading alot of good things with the Nexus 6, including huge QHD screen, pure Android experience and Lollipop

Downsides to Nexus 6 is no SD slot and cannot exchange the battery.

I'm torn. Not sure if I should try the nexus 6 or not. I hate losing the SD card because I have a ton of music and pics on my 128 gb microSD card

What are your thoughts. Anyone else curious about the nexus 6 or even considering pre-ordering it?

Wow, its ironic as I was in the same situation and to a certain degree, I still am. Here Is my story and parts will sound rather odd.....

I was initially very irritated that Kit Kat took so long to get to the Note 3. When it did arrive, it was disappointing since most features were not seen because of Touch Wiz. I still loved the Note 3 so, I was willing to forgive and forget.

Move ahead to September when Apple announced the IPhone 6 and Apple Pay. That started my decision to try and look at Google Wallet once again. After delaying checkout lines, I called Verizon and then they put me through to Samsung and Google only to find that Google Wallet and the Note 3 were not going to work and there was no software patch release in site.

I decided to go on a quest to look at the Galaxy Gear S because I heard that they were going to have a preview of the device there. I vowed that if I like what I saw, I would stay in the Samsung echo system otherwise I would move on. At one point in time, I tried out the Moto 360 and it was okay but not great so, I returned it. Recently, I wound up purchasing the Moto 360 once again and decided I would not return that device.

After my preview of the Galaxy Gear S, I decided that I was going to try a more "Pure Android" device. I decided to try out the Moto X after deciding between the Nexus 6, HTC M8, LG G3 and Note 4. I ordered the Moto X last week and they shipped it to me very fast. Right after I ordered the device, I decided I was going to get some accessories like a case and screen protector. That was VERY hard to find. The selection is horrible.

Thursday of last week, I got the Moto X and took off from work early to set it up and play with it. I played with it all day Thursday and all day Friday. I found that the device had no battery saver mode, the keyboard did not have text prediction and was very basic. As I started to play with it more, I noticed that I was downloading a lot of apps similar to what the Note 4 had. Now the phone started to bog down and the battery life that was not all that bad was starting to get worse. I found myself needing to add a battery saver, turning off sync and doing other stuff as getting annoying. I really was reliving my experience with the Galaxy S3. I went to bed on Friday, with mixed feelings. I then woke up on Saturday morning and decided to call Motorola to return the Moto X and get my Note 3 reactivated.

The grass was not all that green on the other side. In summary, I felt like I was adding things to the Moto X to the point where I was creating a mini Note 3/4. I also thought that not having a removable SD card was not going to be a big deal. After all, most of the music and pictures can be stored in the cloud. That thinking did not work out like I thought it would either. I really wanted to like the Moto X and keep it. I really wanted to try something new away from Samsung. Now, once the dust settles in my account, I will probably get the Note 4.

Interesting part of Google Wallet and Verizon won't admit to this, I am sure. Their SoftCard thingy works on the Note 3. Its odd how Google Wallet is not working on the Note 3 but, Softcard does. Just heard that some merchants are stopping the NFC in their stores like CVS and RiteAid because they want to come up with their own processing so, I guess the Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Softcard and others will have to battle it out. I do know for sure, I am not going to have multiple apps for each store. I will go back to the card swipe if that happens.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Wow, its ironic as I was in the same situation and to a certain degree, I still am. Here Is my story and parts will sound rather odd.....

I was initially very irritated that Kit Kat took so long to get to the Note 3. When it did arrive, it was disappointing since most features were not seen because of Touch Wiz. I still loved the Note 3 so, I was willing to forgive and forget.

Move ahead to September when Apple announced the IPhone 6 and Apple Pay. That started my decision to try and look at Google Wallet once again. After delaying checkout lines, I called Verizon and then they put me through to Samsung and Google only to find that Google Wallet and the Note 3 were not going to work and there was no software patch release in site.

I decided to go on a quest to look at the Galaxy Gear S because I heard that they were going to have a preview of the device there. I vowed that if I like what I saw, I would stay in the Samsung echo system otherwise I would move on. At one point in time, I tried out the Moto 360 and it was okay but not great so, I returned it. Recently, I wound up purchasing the Moto 360 once again and decided I would not return that device.

After my preview of the Galaxy Gear S, I decided that I was going to try a more "Pure Android" device. I decided to try out the Moto X after deciding between the Nexus 6, HTC M8, LG G3 and Note 4. I ordered the Moto X last week and they shipped it to me very fast. Right after I ordered the device, I decided I was going to get some accessories like a case and screen protector. That was VERY hard to find. The selection is horrible.

Thursday of last week, I got the Moto X and took off from work early to set it up and play with it. I played with it all day Thursday and all day Friday. I found that the device had no battery saver mode, the keyboard did not have text prediction and was very basic. As I started to play with it more, I noticed that I was downloading a lot of apps similar to what the Note 4 had. Now the phone started to bog down and the battery life that was not all that bad was starting to get worse. I found myself needing to add a battery saver, turning off sync and doing other stuff as getting annoying. I really was reliving my experience with the Galaxy S3. I went to bed on Friday, with mixed feelings. I then woke up on Saturday morning and decided to call Motorola to return the Moto X and get my Note 3 reactivated.

The grass was not all that green on the other side. In summary, I felt like I was adding things to the Moto X to the point where I was creating a mini Note 3/4. I also thought that not having a removable SD card was not going to be a big deal. After all, most of the music and pictures can be stored in the cloud. That thinking did not work out like I thought it would either. I really wanted to like the Moto X and keep it. I really wanted to try something new away from Samsung. Now, once the dust settles in my account, I will probably get the Note 4.

Interesting part of Google Wallet and Verizon won't admit to this, I am sure. Their SoftCard thingy works on the Note 3. Its odd how Google Wallet is not working on the Note 3 but, Softcard does. Just heard that some merchants are stopping the NFC in their stores like CVS and RiteAid because they want to come up with their own processing so, I guess the Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Softcard and others will have to battle it out. I do know for sure, I am not going to have multiple apps for each store. I will go back to the card swipe if that happens.
Thanks for sharing the story. It does put it in perspective and that maybe the grass isn't always greener on the other side.