11-04-2016 01:47 AM
272 1234 ...
tools
    I just had a thought. I don't know why I haven't considered this before. I use power saving mode exclusively. Would *that* possibly be disabling something that would affect gps performance?? I'm going to try turning power saving mode off on my commute home tonight and see what happens.
    11-07-2014 01:19 PM
    I used to have same problem with note 3. I'm on att n it seems as though it was only people on att at that having those gps problems. So far the gps on note has been perfect. Hope it gets resolved for everyone having issues
    11-07-2014 01:39 PM
    I just had a thought. I don't know why I haven't considered this before. I use power saving mode exclusively. Would *that* possibly be disabling something that would affect gps performance?? I'm going to try turning power saving mode off on my commute home tonight and see what happens.
    That didn't help .
    11-08-2014 10:51 AM
    So if you use GPS status, it does show a lock when you are in the car and not moving, right.
    Then it shows that it loses the lock when you are moving.
    How many satellite fixes do you have before and after losing the lock?
    My VZW note 4 keeps a great lock, working well.
    11-08-2014 11:28 AM
    So my just started a new billing cycle and my data connection is back to normal. I used google maps this morning and it tracked me but the dot was not moving smoothly. The dot will just hop around. Anyone figure out a fix? It also happens with the waze app.
    11-08-2014 11:55 AM
    So if you use GPS status, it does show a lock when you are in the car and not moving, right.
    Then it shows that it loses the lock when you are moving.
    How many satellite fixes do you have before and after losing the lock?
    My VZW note 4 keeps a great lock, working well.
    I don't check how many I'm connected to while in motion since I don't want to take my eyes off the road for that long. When I'm stationary it only connects to about half the available satellites even when the GPS icon shows a lock.
    11-09-2014 12:29 PM
    I was rooting for you.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-10-2014 05:32 PM
    The GPS in my N4 sucks big time
    11-10-2014 11:27 PM
    Yes, GPS issue here too. Blue dot doesn't follow me and at times, jumps around. Was useless this morning for me, good thing I looked at map online last night.
    11-13-2014 10:34 AM
    I had the S1 (Vibrant) and can attest to that. It was completely unusable.
    The S1 was a hot mess in so many ways, wasn't it? Still amazed I became a Galaxy fan after my experience with that flaming pile of poo.
    pantlesspenguin and 21stNow like this.
    11-13-2014 11:53 AM
    My first-time using gps this morning since getting the note 4 in October and it doesn't work. It blinks all the time...trying to find a signal. So im joining the thread...im sure there are more of us.
    11-14-2014 12:54 AM
    I think everyone who is having issues should report this to Samsung support. If enough people report it, they'll work on a fix. Basically my only other option is to send it to Samsung for repair, but I've had FOUR devices all with the same issues now. I have a nagging feeling if I sent it away I'd just be 3 weeks without my Note and get it back with no real fix. It looks like as of now I just have to make due with using my old BlackBerry Z10 for GPS when it's absolutely necessary (as in going someplace new where I have no idea where it is).

Here is a link to Note 4 support. Click on the link to your carrier's device and click on product support on the right. SEARCH SAMSUNG

ETA: Funny story, a few nights ago I was on the line with Samsung Support regarding this issue. The rep said he was going to search for any other reports. He then said "I see here that there are others reporting the exact same issue you are. I'm on a site called Android Central..." I broke in and said "I'm pantlesspenguin." His mind was blown lol. Hi James, if you ever see this!
    11-14-2014 10:51 AM
    Today i removed and reinstalled the sim and battery. I also downloaded and ran the gps fix app. Gps seems to be operating correctly now.
    11-14-2014 04:03 PM
    Just wondering if it could be your vehicle? In my sadan (big long sloped windshield) it works great all the time, in my truck (short flat windshield) it works great on the dock (mounted on the windshield) but drops lock frequently if down on my lap. Wondering if it's the ability to "see" the satellites?
    11-14-2014 06:13 PM
    I've been experiencing many problems since I switched from blackberry to a note4. Two major problems is the Samsung email app and the GPS. The GPS shows me driving on the sidewalk backwards when using Google maps. At its worst it shows me a few blocks from where I actually am on the road... driving me nuts

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-14-2014 10:42 PM
    Just wondering if it could be your vehicle? In my sadan (big long sloped windshield) it works great all the time, in my truck (short flat windshield) it works great on the dock (mounted on the windshield) but drops lock frequently if down on my lap. Wondering if it's the ability to "see" the satellites?
    I don't think it's that. I've had my car for 6 years and all other phones I've used (except the Vibrant and SGS3...hmm I'm sensing a theme...) have worked great.
    11-17-2014 10:13 AM
    i have same problem too. gps notification always blinking all the time. that suck.
    11-19-2014 05:46 AM
    Some combination of GPSFix, GPS Test, and two apps named GPS Status fixed this on my Galaxy Note 4 (Android 4.4.4, hardware version N910P.05, model SM-N910P).

I'm going to uninstall all, to see if the problem returns, then will install one by one to isolate the winner.
    11-19-2014 09:12 PM
    My Note 4's navigation function in the Maps app started acting up a few days ago. Sometimes it gave a message that it couldn't get a gps lock, the blue dot jumped around some and didn't track me, and it was basically useless. It had worked when I first got the phone. I got to thinking about it and remembered that, in an attempt to reduce bloatware, I had uninstalled or disabled some apps recently, all of which appeared to me to be worthless to me, but a couple of which did warn "may affect other apps." I did a factory reset of my phone, and now the GPS navigation is working perfectly again. I have no idea whether this could apply to any others who are having problems, but consider it if you too have deleted/disabled a bunch of stock apps. Trying a factory reset is easier than replacing the phone.
    11-21-2014 09:42 AM
    I also have been having intermittent issues. Sometimes the navigation is fine. Others it can't seem to get a lock, even though it...does have one. Let me explain. I was going to someone's house and it was about 30 minutes away. The graphics on the screen were jumping back and forth across a few blocks in my neighborhood as a drove, but at the bottom, the time left was following what it should be. When I was about halfway there it said there were fifteen minutes til I got there, but the screen was still making it look like I was teleporting around my neighborhood streets. So, it's like the phone did know where I was, but couldn't manage to show me.
    11-24-2014 10:29 AM
    I also have been having intermittent issues. Sometimes the navigation is fine. Others it can't seem to get a lock, even though it...does have one. Let me explain. I was going to someone's house and it was about 30 minutes away. The graphics on the screen were jumping back and forth across a few blocks in my neighborhood as a drove, but at the bottom, the time left was following what it should be. When I was about halfway there it said there were fifteen minutes til I got there, but the screen was still making it look like I was teleporting around my neighborhood streets. So, it's like the phone did know where I was, but couldn't manage to show me.
    Yes!!! Mine does that too!
    11-24-2014 10:51 AM
    I've used my phone GPS nearly every weekend (about a month) and have never seen this issue nor on my wife's N4. I'm on VZW but not sure if that makes a difference. I hope you get it figured out.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.
    11-24-2014 12:41 PM
    I don't use Maps often, but I tested it out last night 'cause y'all got me curious. I did not try out the navigation feature, which I'll try out tonight on the way home from work. In any case, Maps seemed to work fine other than one little issue. My position on the screen always seemed to point in a skewed direction and is off by maybe 30°. So, when I have the settings oriented so that my arrow should always be point to the top of the screen... the road I'm travelling on generally pointed to the upper left corner of the screen. I seemed to follow the roads well and didn't get the "jumping around" others seem to experience.

I've not yet tried using a 3rd party nav app such as Waze, Here, or SNav. I'll try them out in the near future.

Oh... and I'm a VZW customer if that matters.
    11-25-2014 09:03 AM
    My gps is completely unreliable to the point of me getting a different phone. I like the note 4, but I use gps all the time and if I can't rely on it, I will replace. The satellite lock is definitely buggy, and I will contact Samsung
    11-26-2014 11:24 AM
    My gps is completely unreliable to the point of me getting a different phone. I like the note 4, but I use gps all the time and if I can't rely on it, I will replace. The satellite lock is definitely buggy, and I will contact Samsung
    Just have your carrier do a warranty swap. The GPS should work great right out of the box. If yours doesn't, no need to mess around with a "fix" just get a replacement.
    11-26-2014 11:45 AM
272 1234 ...