11-04-2016 01:47 AM
272 12345 ...
tools
    My gps is completely unreliable to the point of me getting a different phone. I like the note 4, but I use gps all the time and if I can't rely on it, I will replace. The satellite lock is definitely buggy, and I will contact Samsung
    Please do contact them! The more people who contact them, the better the chance of them pushing an update!!

Just have your carrier do a warranty swap. The GPS should work great right out of the box. If yours doesn't, no need to mess around with a "fix" just get a replacement.
    I got THREE different replacements in store (not refurbished warranty replacements) and they all have the same problem.
    11-26-2014 12:07 PM
    Who is your carrier?
    11-26-2014 12:24 PM
    Tmo
    11-26-2014 05:45 PM
    Some combination of GPSFix, GPS Test, and two apps named GPS Status fixed this on my Galaxy Note 4 (Android 4.4.4, hardware version N910P.05, model SM-N910P).

I'm going to uninstall all, to see if the problem returns, then will install one by one to isolate the winner.
    11-27-2014 01:54 PM
    I have not had to reinstall any tools. GPS is king fine with Google Maps and other apps.
    11-27-2014 01:55 PM
    Did you figure out which GPS fixing app worked for you? This just started happening to me two weeks ago.
    11-28-2014 05:54 PM
    i had installed gps fix app, ect. but not work for me.
    12-02-2014 09:25 AM
    I am also dealing with the 'No GPS. Showing approximate location' issue. When I first received my phone, I had absolutely no issues with my GPS -- However, within the last 2 days (since 12/1) I have been unable to successfully use the GPS feature for maps, waze, etc. It simply will not remain connected.
    12-03-2014 01:12 PM
    Did you figure out which GPS fixing app worked for you? This just started happening to me two weeks ago.
    I tried 3 or 4 different "gps fix" apps and none of them worked .
    12-03-2014 01:42 PM
    I see a lot of you are suffering from this GPS issue. Then again many aren't. Are most of you that are experiencing this problem on the same carrier? I'm just wondering if it is carrier specific.
    12-04-2014 12:18 PM
    I am still having the GPS issue on my Phone. I have ATT as my carrier. I talked to the Samsung people set up in the mall and they said I was the first to report the issue. They told me to go to the Samsung repair center or back to ATT to get a replacement.

I havent tried any of the GPS fixes yet.

Edit:

I have tried all the fixes listed in the thread but none of them worked.
    Supacat likes this.
    12-05-2014 11:53 PM
    I also have the problem. Hard reset the phone and it did not help. Downloaded GPS status app and no help either. Really sad as I love this phone but use GPS daily and haven't had a problem with a phone (GPS wise) in more than 4 years.... Scared this might be a hardware issue. Might have to sell and get a Sony Z3 or something else... For those that say it is working I am wondering if its due to not being in a city? Usually in cities the GPS signal is weaker due to the buildings and that when this is really failing (NY and SF). I am wondering if the signal is just not as strong as my previous phones? This is just a guess...
    12-07-2014 09:07 PM
    I also have the problem. Hard reset the phone and it did not help. Downloaded GPS status app and no help either. Really sad as I love this phone but use GPS daily and haven't had a problem with a phone (GPS wise) in more than 4 years.... Scared this might be a hardware issue. Might have to sell and get a Sony Z3 or something else... For those that say it is working I am wondering if its due to not being in a city? Usually in cities the GPS signal is weaker due to the buildings and that when this is really failing (NY and SF). I am wondering if the signal is just not as strong as my previous phones? This is just a guess...
    I'm in the Kansas City suburbs. There are several buildings around, but no skyscrapers. Regardless, GPS doesn't work even when I'm on the interstate with no buildings around. I've also used about a dozen phones with working GPS in my city so this is obviously a Samsung issue. The last phone I had with crappy GPS was the Samsung Vibrant. I REALLY wish GPS would work since the large and bright screen is perfect for GPS navigation.
    Supacat likes this.
    12-08-2014 12:12 PM
    I'm in the Kansas City suburbs. There are several buildings around, but no skyscrapers. Regardless, GPS doesn't work even when I'm on the interstate with no buildings around. I've also used about a dozen phones with working GPS in my city so this is obviously a Samsung issue. The last phone I had with crappy GPS was the Samsung Vibrant. I REALLY wish GPS would work since the large and bright screen is perfect for GPS navigation.
    Take that bad boy back! My GPS works great. You're right, the screen is perfect for Nav.
    12-08-2014 12:21 PM
    I just had a thought. I always thought it was weird that my GPS problems seemed to randomly just start recently. Then i realized that I also recently got the Qi charging back for the Note 4. Anyone else here have that as well? I wonder if maybe the back is somehow interfering with the GPS signal. It would be weird since the Note 3 one didn't cause that issue, but maybe Samsung made a mistake with it somewhere. I'll try switching to my old back and test navigation for a few days. If it makes an obvious difference, I'll let everyone know.
    12-08-2014 01:10 PM
    I find it hard to believe we all have bad devices. This is looking like it is more wide spread as there seems to be more people with GPS issues than not. Bringing it back does not seem to help as there are numerous reports on XDA of people getting them replaced only to have the same issue with the replacement. So far there are reports of this happening on TMO and AT&T. It is really sad as this device looks to have an issue with GPS
    12-08-2014 01:41 PM
    Take that bad boy back! My GPS works great. You're right, the screen is perfect for Nav.
    I have...3 times! Every one has had the same issue. I've had the firmware reflashed at the Samsung store in Best Buy, cleared cache, factory resets, and hours on with T-Mo and Samsung support. There's just no fix .
    Supacat likes this.
    12-08-2014 01:48 PM
    I have...3 times! Every one has had the same issue. I've had the firmware reflashed at the Samsung store in Best Buy, cleared cache, factory resets, and hours on with T-Mo and Samsung support. There's just no fix .
    I remember you saying that already, now that you mention that. That sucks.
    12-08-2014 02:26 PM
    I find it hard to believe we all have bad devices. This is looking like it is more wide spread as there seems to be more people with GPS issues than not. Bringing it back does not seem to help as there are numerous reports on XDA of people getting them replaced only to have the same issue with the replacement. So far there are reports of this happening on TMO and AT&T. It is really sad as this device looks to have an issue with GPS
    Regardless of whether or not it is something you want to believe, its either bad software or bad hardware at this point.

Given that only T-Mo and AT&T devices seem to be having persistent issues with it, though, I am leaning towards some sort of firmware issue. Hopefully it is something they're working on correcting with an update very soon.
    12-08-2014 02:27 PM
    Regardless of whether or not it is something you want to believe, its either bad software or bad hardware at this point.

Given that only T-Mo and AT&T devices seem to be having persistent issues with it, though, I am leaning towards some sort of firmware issue. Hopefully it is something they're working on correcting with an update very soon.
    My point is bringing it back wont do a thing as like you said it looks to be hardware or firmware. I am hoping for the latter...
    LaTuFu likes this.
    12-08-2014 02:46 PM
    My point is bringing it back wont do a thing as like you said it looks to be hardware or firmware. I am hoping for the latter...
    Oh gotcha. yeah I totally understand your point on that.
    Supacat likes this.
    12-08-2014 02:47 PM
    My GPS seemed to do well for the 1st month, but the last week or so, I have had ongoing problems with it. A reboot seems to solve it though. The only thing I think may have influenced it was that I had installed a new car stereo that has Bluetooth. I can't say it was the exact day, since I don' t use my GPS that often.

I will also mention one other thing that I was told in regards to my old Droid X, though it has no bearing for my own GPS performeance, since I have always had both Cell Data and WiFi on. I was told my one tech at the store that keeping Cell Data turned on will help the phone find its GPS location. This is because when it searches for satellite's it first tries to find satellites that happen to be near where the GPS last had a lock. If it doesn't find one, it starts expanding its search. The Cell Data connection was suppose to help the phone get a rough idea of where it was. I wonder if WiFi also does that, since Google has a map of various WiFi broadcasters. (thy got in trouble in Europe when they were discovered to be logging that information as they collected the street view mapping) Though, obviously, you need to be fairly close to a WiFi source to use that.

-Joe
    12-09-2014 02:13 AM
    Hi guys, Just an update here. As mentioned earlier I downloaded GPS status
    This time I left the GPS status app opened for a long while. For like 30 minutes. Also, as soon as you run the app select reset GPS and the select Get Xtra Data. I noticed the longer I kept it open the lower my Error field got. It started at 30m and now stays from 3-5m. I opened the app and left it on driving home from work. It seems to have significantly improved the performance. I only has one loss this morn. It is no a guaranteed fix as I need more time to test but for the people with issues please give it a shot and let us know. I think the key is to leave the app on for a while to get as much satellite data as possible.
    12-09-2014 02:23 PM
    Scratch that, GPS is still losing signal. Got excited too quickly and needed to drive around a little. The GPS on this thing will send you off a cliff as numerous times it went bonkers on me and didn't know what direction I was heading oh well, now what to do? Keep it and hope for an update and that it's not hardware related or sell it like a hot potato while it's hot and get something else and then comes the question if so then which Android device comes even close?
    12-10-2014 01:27 AM
    Hi everyone,

I have the Koodo Mobile Note 4 (N910W8), and I've had identical GPS issues. Google Maps would lose signal, or would take ages to lock the signal. By this time, I'm already half way to my destination.

I've noticed that I see the GPS locking notification every now and then. At first, I thought it was just Google Now trying to remember my parking location, but it happened even though I haven't driven all day.

I disabled the built-in yahoo weather widget application (inside application manager), and I have noticed significant improvement in GPS performance. Google Maps would lock in while driving in vehicle and would hold the signal without "losing signal". I can now get GPS signal inside my house as I did for all of my previous smartphones. I would give this a try. The weather widget I disabled is the one that's preloaded on my Note 4, and the icon has the purple Yahoo "Y" logo and the green android bot. Also, I have not received any OTA system updates since I first turned on my phone.

Fingers crossed!
    Supacat likes this.
    12-10-2014 02:44 AM
272 12345 ...