11-04-2016 12:47 AM
272 ... 7891011
tools
    I just finished reading the whole thread to see if there was a solution.. and there doesn't seem to be one. However, if you want a working GPS with a note 4, read on.

I have a Tmo Note 4. GPS used to work, lately I've been getting the same problems, it just loses the connection randomly (and dangerously!). I tried removing the metal case, updating A-gps, using GPSfix (a root utility included in some roms that changes the country that it downloads updates from) with no luck. I can sit in my house, run GPS Status and watch it connect to about 8/21 satellites, but never getting a "green" connection. Accuracy goes from about 16ft-30ft in waves.

Anyway, I'm not going to crack it open or press on the screen till i "hear a pop". I'm going to use a Bluetooth GPS. Go searching on amazon and you'll find these things. They are small rectanglular fobs about the size of 2 packs of gum together. They cost about $30 or so (don't pay more than that). Mine is a Gsat BT-368. Get that, pair it, and download GG MobLabs "Bluetooth GPS" from the play store for free. Go into Developer Options in android settings and enable mock locations. enable fused provider in Bluetooth GPS options. Start the service. You don't need to enable your actual GPS service, the mock provider should take care of feeding the location data to your mapping apps.

I get 9ft accuracy with 7 satellites connected. Four green, two yellow. The bluetooth gps (sometimes called a 'mouse') is waaaay more accurate than your stock one will ever be. For maximum ease of use, drop the widget on your home screen for one-click access. Battery charge lasts at least all day.

Good luck!
    robor007 likes this.
    05-27-2015 12:52 AM
    I just posted this in another thread but I plugged in navigation from our hotel to a restaurant and my girlfriend set navigation on her s5. Mine was dog **** and hers was flawless.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-30-2015 10:36 AM
    If you are having the gps issues its not a Note 3 issue nor an AT&T issue its an Android issue but there is a fix. For some reason if you have an old Micro SD card in the phone its causing this problems. Try taking the Micro SD card out and see what it does.
    06-17-2015 08:50 AM
    If you are having the gps issues its not a Note 3 issue nor an AT&T issue its an Android issue but there is a fix. For some reason if you have an old Micro SD card in the phone its causing this problems. Try taking the Micro SD card out and see what it does.
    ospina125 likes this.
    06-17-2015 08:51 AM
    Taking out the micro SD card did the trick for me. It's crazy how just that little thing can make such a difference. Anyways. Thank you

06-19-2015 10:15 AM
    My note4 gps is acting weird, I'm on a trip and for some reason tells me "gps connection lost" I didn't have that problem with my LG G3, any way to fix this Gps issue?
    Do you have the same problem?
    It drops when your phone isn't getting any data from the mobile network. I don't have any problems when I am travelling but when I am in area that has poor reception even with the other carriers I get GPS connection lost.
    06-19-2015 12:27 PM
    I can vouch that when the SD card is in the "GPS signal Lost" issue starts.
    It may be a firmware dev problem. Hope they get it fixed with a patch.
    Have the Oculus Gear and will keep the SD card out only when using it.
    It seems from reading other users that the better memory did not makes a difference.
    06-21-2015 01:56 AM
    I had an AT&T Note 4 on the AT&T and T-Mobile networks and had frequent (5-10 on my 27 mile commute to/from work). It happened with a 32 GB and 64 GB micro SD card and with no card. I switched to Verizon with a new Verizon Note 4 using the same 64 GB micro SD card that was in the AT&T device. It's been about a month and I used Waze everywhere I go. Over that time, zero GPS drops.
    06-21-2015 08:48 AM
    I have an AT&T Note 4 and have never had a GPS signal drop.
    06-21-2015 09:04 AM
    MIne is acting up too! It keeps saying connection is lost and not only that but it just dosent work well.
    06-24-2015 10:14 AM
    Hi guys,
    I had been using the GPS on Note 3 for about 1 year, took me everywhere in miami without issues, now I´m using a Note 4, nice but the GPS, the same signal GPS lost you´re dealing with. I use GPS a lot, Please let me know a good fix for this. pantlesspenguin if you can help me, we are in the same team.
    Don't let me get lost
    Kind regards
    06-29-2015 07:22 PM
    Sorry one more thing, my carrier with my note note 3 was t-mobile, the same with my note 4 now
    06-29-2015 07:37 PM
    My note4 gps is acting weird, I'm on a trip and for some reason tells me "gps connection lost" I didn't have that problem with my LG G3, any way to fix this Gps issue?
    Do you have the same problem?
    08-05-2015 02:12 AM
    I just finished a 6,000 mile road trip. Used my Verizon Note 4 as the GPS. Bought a good phone mount. The Note 4 worked great. I also have a 64 GB SD card in my phone.

Only issue is Google maps Android interface really stinks for building a multi stop road trip. Mapquest was easier to use for a long journey with extra stops.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    huntnyc likes this.
    08-05-2015 12:02 PM
    I'm on my 3rd note 4 and all have had the issue. I kept taking them to the ATT service center and having them replaced, eventually they told me to get lost.

It's infuriating and Samsung just ignores the issue.
    08-05-2015 05:35 PM
    I see you are in Jacksonville too...lol

08-05-2015 05:56 PM
    I'm on my 3rd note 4 and all have had the issue. I kept taking them to the ATT service center and having them replaced, eventually they told me to get lost.

It's infuriating and Samsung just ignores the issue.
    I had the same problem. GPS used to work just fine when the phone was new. Got so bad the GPS was unusable. Tried everything, just like many of you.

Based on what I read here, I decided to remove the memory card. It's a 16gb card with about 8gb used. No card, GPS now works like a charm.

I'm going to try using a a larger memoir card like the 64gb. Could very well be that GPS tries to use removable memory, like RAM or something. Not sure. Definitely hope it's not simply the presence of the card that's causing the conflict. We'll see, but for now, the problem definitely had something to do with the removable memory.

Hope this helps others.
    08-22-2015 01:29 PM
    I'm sad to hear it may be linked to the micro sd card. I have all my music on my SD card. And i listen to I while I run. I guess I should try removing the card and see if the gps issue resolves.

Rocking the Note 4
    08-22-2015 10:00 PM
    Now I'm curious. Do you guys know (if you're rooted) if you have your app and maps on your app on the extSD? Also, which map app are you using?
    08-22-2015 10:36 PM
    I started to have this issue after about six months of flawless GPS operation. All of sudden it became almost unusable - kept losing satellites under clear sky, couldn't get a fix even while stationary, GPS Test app shown only 3-4 satellites with extremely low signal and no fix at all. Restarts, case removal didn't help. So I did full factory reset and didn't restore from backup but made completely fresh setup.

Now it kind of works but still is unstable and the symptoms are consistent with what most are describing: it does lock while stationary but tends to lose fix sometimes, especially when in pocket or moving. When I compare fix accuracy with other phones it is roughly worse twice or more (i.e. other phone locks with 30 ft accuracy and mine with 57-100 ft accuracy). I tried most suggestions - no SD card, clearing cache, removing case (very thin rubber bumper) - no noticeable effect.

I am really puzzled but suspect it has something to do with hardware (probably antenna) as it didn't happen to me for quite some time and then started.
    08-24-2015 06:30 AM
    Mine has continued to get worse, to the point where I went out with the family to play Ingress and I was the only one who could not get anywhere. This morning on my bicycle ride in it made tracking my ride almost useless.

There are 9 metal spring pins in the phone that connect it to the back cover. I took a small screwdriver and gently slid it under each of the pins in turn, deflecting each of them slightly upward. They are delicate, so be really careful. My LG Optimus G Pro suffered a similar problem with the LTE radio, and has spring pins almost identical to these, and one broke when I went to add a little tension to them. I was much, much more gentle this time.

It is my (possibly vain) hope that this is a simple hardware connection problem. Though, to be honest, the back cover doesn't actually show any connection points, so it has to be inductive through whatever paint or coating is on the inside of the back cover. That seems somewhat less than ideal for antenna connections, but I don't know a whole lot about radios and antennas.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Gps problem-capture.jpg

(attached picture is not of my phone, I took it from Ubergizmo)
    08-24-2015 07:42 AM
    There are 9 metal spring pins in the phone that connect it to the back cover.
    These are contacts for wireless charging Qi Receiver.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Gps problem-20150824_161810.jpg
    This is a third party cover I have. It doesn't seem to affect GPS performance as it was stellar at first with it and without it, then it became horrible and after factory reset it works better but still very unsatisfactory.

However I agree it looks like antenna is coming loose somewhere inside or something.
    08-24-2015 08:24 AM
    These are contacts for wireless charging Qi Receiver.

This is a third party cover I have. It doesn't seem to affect GPS performance as it was stellar at first with it and without it, then it became horrible and after factory reset it works better but still very unsatisfactory.

However I agree it looks like antenna is coming loose somewhere inside or something.
    Huh, so none of the contacts I just bent upward have anything to do with the antennas? Bummer. Well, at least I didn't damage anything. Guess I'll find out on the ride home if I did any good, but it looks like I did not based on the picture of your wireless back cover.
    08-24-2015 08:35 AM
    Guess I'll find out on the ride home if I did any good
    Please share if you notice anything but I highly doubt anything can be related to these contacts. I have the same GPS performance with the stock cover, with this QI cover or without cover at all - yes, if you take the cover off completely GPS still works without any change or interruption. Just be careful not to drop the battery from the phone.
    08-24-2015 08:59 AM
    Please share if you notice anything but I highly doubt anything can be related to these contacts. I have the same GPS performance with the stock cover, with this QI cover or without cover at all - yes, if you take the cover off completely GPS still works without any change or interruption. Just be careful not to drop the battery from the phone.
    Will do. Also (in the interest of only changing one thing at a time) if the GPS gives me any trouble I will stop halfway and remove my Spigen case and put it back in my handlebar bag without a case. I have had trouble long before adding the Spigen, but...
    08-24-2015 09:12 AM
272 ... 7891011