Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Gps problem

robert lilja

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I have struggled with the "gps signal lost issue for weeks" tried every fix on the internet..nothing worked..then i decided to remove it from the love mei life case...and instantly no more gps problems. so i suggest anybody with an s3 or s4...try removing your protective case and make sure that is not the problem.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I tried to use GPS to get to the UPS Store the other day and Google Maps tried to get me to turn into an empty field. I was not impressed. I guess when I desperately need to use GPS I'll have to dust off the ol' iphone 6. 😕

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(622377)

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Gps problem

Hello everyone, I want to add my name to the fray of users experiencing intermittent GPS problems on the Note 4. I've tried all the apps and workarounds suggested in this thread and the only thing that's shown any promise is removing my SD card, using the phone without an SD card isn't a viable permanent solution but it's reduced the GPS disconnects from every 20-40mins to once or twice in 12 hours.

Carrier: T-mobile
Model: SM-N910T
SD-Card Class 4
Mode: GPS only and High accuracy

I'm going to report this to Samsung.

Update:
I performed a factory reset and left the SD card removed. So far it's been 2 days without losing the GPS.

Samsung responded with about a dozen suggestions, all of which are basic and essentially useless

helloimme

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
dpham00:
* Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
* Your suggestion to contact the Verizon executive prompted me to make the attempt. I tried to contact the Verizon executive in both Northern CA and Southern CA areas, from their profile pages. At the bottom of each profile page is a "Contact" link that opens a new pop-up window with a contact form. However, after filling in all the fields, when I clicked "Send" absolutely nothing changes with the screen. It still shows the exact same contact form and fields, with my entries, as though I didn't click "Send," even though I did click it. I tried this for the Northern CA president several times, then for the Southern CA president, on two different browsers, and got the same result every time. It was rather frustrating. I finally printed it out and got a mailing address from the general Verizon Wireless web site "Contact Us" page.

UPDATE:
I spoke with the Northern CA Verizon executive today. When I tried to send a summary of the situation via the web contact form, it wouldn't send, as noted in a previous post. There was no indication of a maximum number of characters that can be typed in the message field, and it never limited my typing as I typed my message (the way some message fields would stop allowing any further typing once the maximum length has been reached). So I tried to send a very brief note instead, simply stating that I had an issue to discuss that I couldn't resolve at the Verizon Wireless stores, and the contact form was not sending my message so in case it was due to message length, please let me know how else to contact him. In response to this, he called me.

He stated that the first Verizon Wireless store should not have refused to exchange my device, because they have a 14-day exchange policy that is supposed to be "no questions asked" and so it didn't matter what my reason for the exchange was. He stated he can change my upgrade dates so that I'm back to my upgrade eligible period as though I never purchased a new device back on Jan 8 of this year, and I can go back to Verizon Wireless to purchase the phone again. I asked what if I get another defective device, and he said then they should exchange it. I asked what if the one that gets exchanged is also defective, and he said then they should exchange it again until I get one that works. However, when I clarified this with him later, he changed his tune about this and went back to saying I would get one exchange opportunity.

I am considering, then, to purchase the device again, and if the GPS function doesn't work, then return the product and that's that. However, they may try to hit me with a restocking fee, which would not be appropriate if the return is due to a defective product.

Perhaps interestingly, he didn't ask which store or which manager would not allow the exchange in the first place. I did mention I had the store addresses, and names of all the reps and managers I spoke to.

gosdis

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a brand new Note 4 that the GPS doesn't work and I found the solution that worked for me on accident. I was trying some of the suggestions on this thread when I tried the one about taking out the Sim card. I took off my bumper case, removed the back, battery, and sim. I put it all back except the case, booted the phone and the GPS started to work. I was thrilled but that is not the end of the story. Later I put my metal bumper case back on the phone and my GPS stopped working. I removed the case an it worked. This whole time it was the metal case acting like a Faraday Cage around my GPS receiver in the phone. I bought a plastic case and threw away the metal case and haven't had a problem since.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a brand new Note 4 that the GPS doesn't work and I found the solution that worked for me on accident. I was trying some of the suggestions on this thread when I tried the one about taking out the Sim card. I took off my bumper case, removed the back, battery, and sim. I put it all back except the case, booted the phone and the GPS started to work. I was thrilled but that is not the end of the story. Later I put my metal bumper case back on the phone and my GPS stopped working. I removed the case an it worked. This whole time it was the metal case acting like a Faraday Cage around my GPS receiver in the phone. I bought a plastic case and threw away the metal case and haven't had a problem since.

Sounds reasonable to me. I remember back in the day before smartphones, buying phone cases from vendors in mall kiosks and flea markets or ebay.

When they were installed on the phone, the signal strength would diminish drastically. These cases were made in other countries that probably still used lead-based paints or other metals in their manufacturing process. At any rate, the phones would function normally when the case was removed.

Posted via the Android Central App on my bodaciously awesome Note 4!

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I posted my problems on Reddit and got some interesting advice. I was told to take out my sim and try it. It didn't work, so I put my sim back in. On a whim, I used GPS to get to the gym. It worked better than it EVER has! I had a little hiccup when it briefly thought I was on a different highway, but it corrected itself and was very accurate throughout the trip. I was overjoyed! I used it to get home....and it was back to normal :(. I got another piece of advice to try downloading the map and using it offline. I'm going to try that tonight. It's strange that the sim might be causing the issue, because one of the things I tried was exchanging the sim. Maybe it's an issue of the sim card contacts?

Yeah I swapped my SIM on my AT&T Note 3 because I was having some issues with the GPS and it fixed the problem for me. I don't know if it will fix it for everyone but its worth a try

Are people having issues with the Note 4 GPS on every carrier or just on AT&T? Im picking up my Note 4 in March and hope I don't have this issue. If I do then I will continue to exchange it until I get one without the this issue. Because I know not every single Note 4 has this problem. My friends Note 4 GPS works flawlessly on AT&T

Posted Via AT&T Note 3

Last edited by a moderator:

rsawitzky

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Are people having issues with the Note 4 GPS on every carrier or just on AT&T? Im picking up my Note 4 in March and hope I don't have this issue. If I do then I will continue to exchange it until I get one without the this issue. Because I know not every single Note 4 has this problem. My friends Note 4 GPS works flawlessly on AT&T

Posted Via AT&T Note 3

Mine is on Sprint and i'll run into this problem sometimes. I uninstalled maps back to factory and it seemed to help, but still sometimes loses connection. If I plug in into my car charger though, strangely, it'll work perfectly and i haven't had a problem since.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Posted Via AT&T Note 3

I haven't seen it so far on my Sprint Note 4.

funbob

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
My note 4 edge has had gps performance drops from day 1. Gps signal lost is a regular report on my phone! I am very disappointed with this device. I would not recommend getting one.

My note 4 edge from att drops the gps lock every time I use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I still urge everyone that's having difficulties to call Samsung about them! Let them know everything that you've tried to get it working so they can isolate the issue and work on an update.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
So if the Note 4's GPS problem is mainly on AT&T branded Notes then its an AT&T issue not a Samsung issue. If it is a problem with all Note 4's then its a Samsung issue. This is why I don't buy new devices when they first come out. I usually wait a few months before purchasing a new device.

Posted Via AT&T Note 3

proctorc

May 25, 2011
Visit site
When I first activated was having issues with signal and GPS. Switched Sim card with my old Samsung device and restored everything. From what I have read it seems most of issues were resolved by switching Sim cards.

dhelfinstine

May 11, 2010
twitter.com
Tmo Note 4- started having issues about a week ago. Fixed it by pressing on the screen. Seriously. Press hard on the bottom or top of the screen. It will make a lite cracking sound (don't do it too hard). With GPS status went from no fix in 10 minutes inside to 10/20 satellites in seconds. Seems that there is something loose. Problem with my SGS4 too. My Nexus 5 sitting right next to it had no issues. Never tried new sim, but would if it helped. Pressing seems life a stupid fix, but for me it has worked for several days.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
When I first activated was having issues with signal and GPS. Switched Sim card with my old Samsung device and restored everything. From what I have read it seems most of issues were resolved by switching Sim cards.

That was one of the first things I tried and it didn't help.

Terry Winge

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
Okay so too was having problems with gps on my N4 using Google Maps. I downloaded GPS essentials and also started My Tracks and Maps on a recent trip. Both Essentials and Tracks showed all the gps data my phone was receiving however when I tired to use maps it was not working. It would jump to my current location but no update my track or show me driving through a field. I downloaded Navigation and tested it today. It worked perfectly showing where I was at and also updating correctly as I went on a short trip. I have not uninstalled Maps and tried a re-install yet but I doubt that that will work. While I prefer Google Maps what I have will work right now. I have also gone into my settings and turned off high accuracy and selected gps only.

I hope this helps someone else. I honestly read through a fair portions of the posts but didn't read them all. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I might have missed and there are questions.

Blessings to you all,
Terry

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this will work for the Note, but it worked perfectly for mine and my wife S3's. We got our phones at the same time and both of them had the same GPS issues that everyone describes in this thread. I rooted mine, downloaded GPS toolbox, etc... Nothing worked. I finally found a thread somewhere that said to snap off the back cover and very gently tighten any phillips (4-way) screws that are visible. I was skeptical, but neither one of us could trust our GPS on a trip, so I gave it a shot. I tried it on mine first and it worked. Did it on my wife's, it worked again. That was about 2.5 years ago and they still work fine. It was like night and day.

I don't know how or why it worked...didn't make much sense to me. But it did.

If any screws are visible after you take off the back cover and battery out, try tightening them just a little bit (DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN!).

lrknight

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Note 4 on Sprint and it has had this same issue from day one.

The phone gets GPS location fine when sitting still. As soon as the car moves, the signal is lost. It updates again at the next light or stop sign. It's very frustrating. I don't get turn-by-turn directions but it does SHOUT "You've arrived at your destination" when I get to the destination (without help from the phone!).

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I was having GPS issues with my Note 3 until I swapped the SIM. Now that I have a Note 4 I haven't had any GPS issues at all and I use it quite often.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995