Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Gps problem

anon9358096

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Gps problem

I have a quick question. When you are not moving does your gps work fine? I recently have been having a problem where it doesn't lock on at all for a time if I am stationary or moving. For example sitting on my desk right now next to the window I have no fix with 1-2. If I torque the frame a little bit them I seem to get more satellites.

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
explain swapping out the sim. I was planning on moving from a Iphone 5 to a Note 4. And I would like to use this feature, and I'm in ATT. If I pick up this phone not sure on how to swap a sim. With my old Iphone's sim?

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
explain swapping out the sim. I was planning on moving from a Iphone 5 to a Note 4. And I would like to use this feature, and I'm in ATT. If I pick up this phone not sure on how to swap a sim. With my old Iphone's sim?

Well your iPhone 5 uses a nano sim and the Note 4 uses a micro sim. So when you purchase the Note 4 they will automatically give you a micro sim. The GPS issues seem to only effect the AT&T version of the Note. I have many friends on other carriers with a Note 3 and 4 and they never had a single issue with their GPS. As I stated before it may not fix the GPS but I gave it a shot anyway and once I changed the SIM in my Note 3 the GPS worked perfectly. But now I have a Note 4 and haven't experienced any issue with the GPS

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4

robor007

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
So still no reliable fix for this issue? I have had several Samsung devices (S2 Skyrocket, Note 1, 2, 3 and now 4. My Note 3 had occasional GPS issues. My Note 4 is next to effing useless. And it is an AT&T device that had issues on AT&T and is now unlocked on TMobile. Same issue on both carriers.

It's been over 6 months and Samsung hasn't addressed this issue. I'll be selling this thing and getting another device. Cya Samsung.

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Add me to the list of people experiencing this GPS issue. Will be trying to get support for this over the weekend. This is the only major issue I have with this phone, but I rely on Waze GPS almost daily.

Posted via the Android Central App

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a brand new Note 4 that the GPS doesn't work and I found the solution that worked for me on accident. I was trying some of the suggestions on this thread when I tried the one about taking out the Sim card. I took off my bumper case, removed the back, battery, and sim. I put it all back except the case, booted the phone and the GPS started to work. I was thrilled but that is not the end of the story. Later I put my metal bumper case back on the phone and my GPS stopped working. I removed the case an it worked. This whole time it was the metal case acting like a Faraday Cage around my GPS receiver in the phone. I bought a plastic case and threw away the metal case and haven't had a problem since.

I had a metal bumper case for a short time and it was killing my radio. Had almost zero data connection. Troubleshooted everything until I realized it was the bumper case.

As for the GPS, mine works great. Between my strong GPS, my gear fit watch and my husbands phone, we were able to stop a grocery clerk from making off with my phone after it dropped from my cart. We were able to prove the location of the phone and someone had to come clean. Yes, my bad for dropping it, as I am usually much more careful, but I was not trying to give someone a $700 toy.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I had a metal bumper case for a short time and it was killing my radio. Had almost zero data connection. Troubleshooted everything until I realized it was the bumper case.

As for the GPS, mine works great. Between my strong GPS, my gear fit watch and my husbands phone, we were able to stop a grocery clerk from making off with my phone after it dropped from my cart. We were able to prove the location of the phone and someone had to come clean. Yes, my bad for dropping it, as I am usually much more careful, but I was not trying to give someone a $700 toy.

When the phone is stationary the GPS works fine. The problem is that when you're in motion the GPS loses signal often. When I'm on streets with stop lights the GPS comes back when I'm stationary for a few seconds. When I'm on the highway it comes back intermittently but doesn't stay locked for long.

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Add me to the list of people experiencing this GPS issue. Will be trying to get support for this over the weekend. This is the only major issue I have with this phone, but I rely on Waze GPS almost daily.

Contacted Samsung Support who suggested I clear the data cache. I was skeptical, but it worked in my case. GPS is working well again now.

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Just clear the data cache in Waze?

No, clear the device data cache. Basically boot into bootloader:
1. Turn power off.
2. Press and Hold Volume Up and Home buttons, and then also hold Power button.
3. As soon as you feel the phone vibrate, stop holding the Power button but continue holding the other two.
4. Once in bootloader, use the volume buttons to move option until you get to erase data cache. Then select the power button.
5. Once the operation is complete (takes a few secs), select reboot.

Hope that helps, although I believe others on this thread have tried this with no luck. If it worked for me, maybe it will work for one or two others at least.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
No, clear the device data cache. Basically boot into bootloader:
1. Turn power off.
2. Press and Hold Volume Up and Home buttons, and then also hold Power button.
3. As soon as you feel the phone vibrate, stop holding the Power button but continue holding the other two.
4. Once in bootloader, use the volume buttons to move option until you get to erase data cache. Then select the power button.
5. Once the operation is complete (takes a few secs), select reboot.

Hope that helps, although I believe others on this thread have tried this with no luck. If it worked for me, maybe it will work for one or two others at least.

What you cleared was the cache partition used by the system for temp storage - but clearing that has been shown to help with a number of issues (sometimes).

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
What you cleared was the cache partition used by the system for temp storage - but clearing that has been shown to help with a number of issues (sometimes).
Thanks, you're right. It wasn't the data cache. I guess the question now is for how long will this resolve the issue and whether I'll have to do this often. If I do, that doesn't bother me too much, but shouldn't be necessary...

anon(622377)

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

2nd update: I've rooted my Note 4 and install Cyanogenmod 12, Android 5.0.2. Unfortunately the issue with the GPS remains. If I have my SD card inserted the GPS disconnects. This is extremely frustrating I shouldn't have to remove the SD card in order to have reliable GPS lock

robor007

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

I am VERY disappointed to hear this because it points directly at a hardware issue.

I dropped GPS signal at least 5-6 times on my 40 minute drive to work this morning. Luckily I know my regular routes and only use Waze to warn of unexpected things. That said, I'm ditching my Note 4 and after GPS issues with my last two Samsung devices I will not repeat the mistake. Undecided on the next device though.

mike929

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Add me to the list. I also use the Waze app. If i sit the phone down horizontally i loose GPS lock. I basically have to hold the phone up vertically to have GPS lock.

robor007

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list. I also use the Waze app. If i sit the phone down horizontally i loose GPS lock. I basically have to hold the phone up vertically to have GPS lock.

I have a cradle for mine. It holds it upright with full view of the sky. No case and stock cover as well. I am thinking it may be time to get another device and do a warranty exchange on the Note 4 and sell it as factory refurbished.

ahadaheda

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I both just got a Note4 and both of us are having GPS problems. We tried google maps first and the scout GPS apps. Nether will work all of the time. Actually only working about 5% of the time. We were going to take back the phone for a Samsung Galaxy S6. My previous S3 had no problems. Wasn't expecting to have GPS problems. We use is a lot and are disappointed that it doesn't work. I will try some of the solutions here and see if it gets better otherwise we will have to return the phones. So it is not just a few phones out a 5 million made. What are the chances that both of the phones we bought both have GPS problems.

Hielko

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I cleared the cached data by going to settings, select storage, select cached data. This will clear all app caches. Before I had terrible gps problems, now no problems at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance