What Is Your Most Favorite Galaxy Note 4 Tip/Trick You Can Share?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
What is the benefit of animations versus not having animations?

Without phone opens apps much quicker. It's just a personal preference.. I think animations are annoying. You won't miss them, especially when you see the difference in "snappyness"

GALAXY NOTE 4, GO BIG OR GO HOME

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Without phone opens apps much quicker. It's just a personal preference.. I think animations are annoying. You won't miss them, especially when you see the difference in "snappyness"

GALAXY NOTE 4, GO BIG OR GO HOME

Where do we see these animations? Just when the phone turns on and off? Do they appear anywhere else?

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I actually like animations... Makes phone feel smooth... And apps need about 1 second to load anyway when they not already open.. So even tho things move faster u still gotta wait for app to load

Posted via the Android Central App

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
You can create a shortcut for your favourite pair of multitasking apps.

Go to multitasking and select your two apps from the list you want to pair,when they are both on the screen get the multitasking bar back up again and select the arrow made out of dots at the bottom of the bar and select create,it should now put a shortcut at the top of the list.

Where is "Multi-Tasking?"

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
OK, how so? Where are these animations that go away? What are they animating?
It's just a personal preference, just like thinking it speeds you phone up immensely having them disabled. I like the transition effects visually. To me it adds to the phone and makes it more appealing to the eye. Also like pointed out above, it takes apps a second to open, regardless if the animations are on or off. It serves very little benefit adjusting this, but like I said, it is personal preference.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, how so? Where are these animations that go away? What are they animating?

Animations are the little visual effects of closing an app, opening an app, swiping from one screen to the next, etc. They're supposed to be extremely subtle and make the phone seem to have more of a flow to it. I think they are good to a degree, so I don't turn them completely off like some do. I leave them at 0.5. But to leave them at the full 1.0 is ridiculous in my opinion. Apps do need time to load, but if the phone is using part of the processor to complete the animation instead of loading the app, you'll wait longer in my experience. With the animations toned down to 0.5, that seems to be the perfect balance.

It actually serves a pretty big benefit to doing this, because ever since my S3 when I did this, Samsung devices are much faster and smoother. I had a good deal of lag on my Note 4 and when I limited it to 0.5x on animations, it has picked up immensely and the lag is ALMOST gone. The appearance is most definitely personal preference, but the actual performance is not just "thinking it helps" as it is pretty obvious that it does and would be easy to test if I had the right set up to do so.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Animations are the little visual effects of closing an app, opening an app, swiping from one screen to the next, etc. They're supposed to be extremely subtle and make the phone seem to have more of a flow to it. I think they are good to a degree, so I don't turn them completely off like some do. I leave them at 0.5. But to leave them at the full 1.0 is ridiculous in my opinion. Apps do need time to load, but if the phone is using part of the processor to complete the animation instead of loading the app, you'll wait longer in my experience. With the animations toned down to 0.5, that seems to be the perfect balance.

It actually serves a pretty big benefit to doing this, because ever since my S3 when I did this, Samsung devices are much faster and smoother. I had a good deal of lag on my Note 4 and when I limited it to 0.5x on animations, it has picked up immensely and the lag is ALMOST gone. The appearance is most definitely personal preference, but the actual performance is not just "thinking it helps" as it is pretty obvious that it does and would be easy to test if I had the right set up to do so.

There seems to be more variants with this model than previous Samsung phones. I have seen sprint models that have terrible lag on the multitasking button and have read that Verizon has lag in most aspects. My experience is quite the opposite. I have an ATT model and have experienced absolutely zero lag. I am glad you have found a way too speed yours up but alot of ppl do this out of habit and have no real benefit. I don't even use nova on this phone because it is no longer faster than TouchWiz. Surprised the hell out of me.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have an AT&T Note 4 and while Touchwiz isn't overly laggy, Nova is definitely faster plus lets you fit more items on that big, beautiful home screen.

Sent from my Note 4

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
They are more of transition animation. i.e. when you close some apps, you see them fade and shrink to the background and such.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be more variants with this model than previous Samsung phones. I have seen sprint models that have terrible lag on the multitasking button and have read that Verizon has lag in most aspects. My experience is quite the opposite. I have an ATT model and have experienced absolutely zero lag. I am glad you have found a way too speed yours up but alot of ppl do this out of habit and have no real benefit. I don't even use nova on this phone because it is no longer faster than TouchWiz. Surprised the hell out of me.

I have the AT&T version as well. I will tell you where mine lagged, and then what was fixed after changing the animations... The multitasking button always lags for me, but I don't care because I rarely use it. I use it more as a task manager than anything. My phone would lag when ending a phone call, when taking photos, when opening Hangouts (part of that was load time, but often i'd get stuck on a white screen and would have to kill the app entirely and re open it), opening apps from the notification in the pull down screen, and a few others that have slipped my mind.

Since minimizing animations, my Note no longer lags in the hanging up phone calls, opening hangouts, or opening apps from the notification shade. The camera and muti tasking still gives it some trouble, but when I need quick camera shots I just use the Google Camera so it's not too big of a deal. Again, I don't turn off animations entirely because I feel like they add to the enjoyment of using the device. However I don't need to spend half my time watching the phone do pretty little tricks that are supposed to impress me just when i'm trying to open an app that I need. I understand that minimizing animations could be a habit in a lot of cases, but with TouchWiz i've found that it's almost a necessity and I am NOT a TW hater. In fact I really like TW even though i'm currently using the Google Now Launcher. On my Nexus 5, I never fiddled with animations because it wasn't necessary. So I would not say that it's necessarily a habit of mine, just that I can see when it needs to be done and if it helps me, i'll mention it to others as a possibility.