05-25-2015 04:38 AM
115 12345
tools
    Well, there is always a minority point of view.

Sent from my Space Grey, 128 GB, iPhone 6 Plus (that took 5 weeks to ship to me through AT&T) using Tapatalk
    It was just a joke but almost not lol

Sent From My Boss Note 4
    10-31-2014 08:37 AM
    iOS 8 has come pretty well versus blackberry upgrades...
    You've missed my point. At the time the iPhone first came out, RIM dismissed it as a novelty item. Even as it roared past RIM in sales, the company did not think they were in any danger whatsoever.

Apple is now doing the same thing from a Corporate standpoint. The first couple of iPhones were met with "wow" and "revolutionary" type of responses from the market. Increasingly it has turned into "that's it?"

I'm not saying iOS sucks, it is a great platform. But it has definitely matured, akin to where Blackberry was around the time the iPhone first burst onto the scene. Corporately, Apple doesn't seem very inclined to do anything about it--much like RIM in the 2005-2008 time frame. Blackberry had an enormous market share at the time, and RIM felt somewhat invincible/untouchable because of the way their systems worked.

It is the danger of every corporation, when they transition from cutting edge, explosive start up to mature, established giant in the market. How do you maintain the vision that made you great when you were climbing to the top?

Microsoft, General Motors, IBM, Starbucks, Wal-Mart--they've all had to deal with this same struggle.
    10-31-2014 09:31 AM
    You've missed my point. At the time the iPhone first came out, RIM dismissed it as a novelty item. Even as it roared past RIM in sales, the company did not think they were in any danger whatsoever.

Apple is now doing the same thing from a Corporate standpoint. The first couple of iPhones were met with "wow" and "revolutionary" type of responses from the market. Increasingly it has turned into "that's it?"

I'm not saying iOS sucks, it is a great platform. But it has definitely matured, akin to where Blackberry was around the time the iPhone first burst onto the scene. Corporately, Apple doesn't seem very inclined to do anything about it--much like RIM in the 2005-2008 time frame. Blackberry had an enormous market share at the time, and RIM felt somewhat invincible/untouchable because of the way their systems worked.

It is the danger of every corporation, when they transition from cutting edge, explosive start up to mature, established giant in the market. How do you maintain the vision that made you great when you were climbing to the top?

Microsoft, General Motors, IBM, Starbucks, Wal-Mart--they've all had to deal with this same struggle.
    But iPhone isn't really suffering if you take everything into perspective. Sure Android is surpassing iPhone but .. iPhone holds 34% or something if memory serves me correctly? So that is 1 .. 1 phone .. 1 manufacturer holding that with their 1 phone. Android does have a ton of good flagships but they also do have a lot of low end "budget" phones which helps adds to their numbers.

Also I believe Apple isn't being content .. They added many new features to iOS 8 that people wanted and requested -- and they also are adding that continuity feature which I think is pretty neat.
    LaTuFu and isitme like this.
    10-31-2014 10:20 AM
    But iPhone isn't really suffering if you take everything into perspective. Sure Android is surpassing iPhone but .. iPhone holds 34% or something if memory serves me correctly? So that is 1 .. 1 phone .. 1 manufacturer holding that with their 1 phone. Android does have a ton of good flagships but they also do have a lot of low end "budget" phones which helps adds to their numbers.

Also I believe Apple isn't being content .. They added many new features to iOS 8 that people wanted and requested -- and they also are adding that continuity feature which I think is pretty neat.
    Substitute "RIM" for "Apple" in your post, and you're sounding an awful lot like the Crackberry crowd back in '07.

Again--you're right, there is nothing inherently wrong with the iOS ecosystem now. My point is, there was nothing wrong with the Blackberry ecosystem back then, either. But they got complacent and didn't see the need to adapt to the market. Sure, Apple is adding features, but let's be fair, a lot of those features are things that Android has been doing already for quite some time. That was unheard of when Apple was driving the market. Sure, they own a decent marketshare, but RIM owned an even larger one and they were able to be toppled.

I'm really not trying to make this an "Apple sucks" rant. Just saying that they are dangerously close to being caught in the complacency trap. Jobs is gone, the company is no longer the new kid on the block, they're closer to becoming the old man yelling from the front porch at all the loud noises out in the street.
    10-31-2014 10:28 AM
    Substitute "RIM" for "Apple" in your post, and you're sounding an awful lot like the Crackberry crowd back in '07.

Again--you're right, there is nothing inherently wrong with the iOS ecosystem now. My point is, there was nothing wrong with the Blackberry ecosystem back then, either. But they got complacent and didn't see the need to adapt to the market. Sure, Apple is adding features, but let's be fair, a lot of those features are things that Android has been doing already for quite some time. That was unheard of when Apple was driving the market. Sure, they own a decent marketshare, but RIM owned an even larger one and they were able to be toppled.

I'm really not trying to make this an "Apple sucks" rant. Just saying that they are dangerously close to being caught in the complacency trap. Jobs is gone, the company is no longer the new kid on the block, they're closer to becoming the old man yelling from the front porch at all the loud noises out in the street.
    Well .. Also let's take this into perspective ... RIM was only so popular due to the fact that they were around before Apple and businesses used them a ton since they were approved .. So a lot of their market share was simply due to no choice. With Android and Apple there is choice yet .. There are still a ton of people on Apple -- WAY different circumstances than when it was RIM versus Apple -- There was only those 2 choices and Apple was the new thing on the block with new things that no one saw before (at least done in that way) -- Apple and Android as you said basically mimic each other now in functionality so now people usually switch to the one they prefer .. since we can all do the same stuff -- whereas back in the day that wasn't the case.
    LaTuFu likes this.
    10-31-2014 10:45 AM
    Well .. Also let's take this into perspective ... RIM was only so popular due to the fact that they were around before Apple and businesses used them a ton since they were approved .. So a lot of their market share was simply due to no choice. With Android and Apple there is choice yet .. There are still a ton of people on Apple -- WAY different circumstances than when it was RIM versus Apple -- There was only those 2 choices and Apple was the new thing on the block with new things that no one saw before (at least done in that way) -- Apple and Android as you said basically mimic each other now in functionality so now people usually switch to the one they prefer .. since we can all do the same stuff -- whereas back in the day that wasn't the case.
    Not exactly true. WinMo certainly didn't have the marketshare that Apple or Android enjoys now, but it was a viable competitor to some degree in that time. Outside the US, Nokia had a pretty solid platform with Symbian before the rise of Apple and Android.

Which is again why I point to Apple needing to gain a healthy dose of cautionary perspective. RIM dominated the US marketplace to a level it felt, to a degree, made them untouchable. They saw their growth and opportunity outside the US, taking on Symbian.

My point is, I want to see Apple remain a healthy and viable platform, and succeed on its own merits, not just because it is a gorilla in the room. If they can remain a healthy competitor in this market, then it will keep Android pushing the envelope as well. The last thing we as end users want is to have both camps get fat, dumb, and happy.
    10-31-2014 10:50 AM
    My point is, I want to see Apple remain a healthy and viable platform, and succeed on its own merits, not just because it is a gorilla in the room. If they can remain a healthy competitor in this market, then it will keep Android pushing the envelope as well. The last thing we as end users want is to have both camps get fat, dumb, and happy.
    I believe they will -- They are listening. They may not be making insane changes but iOS 8 + the new iPhones means they're listening to what people want and bringing it to them .. even if it has the Apple spin on it .. They're not just sitting there doing nothing and being content.
    LaTuFu likes this.
    10-31-2014 10:54 AM
    I believe they will -- They are listening. They may not be making insane changes but iOS 8 + the new iPhones means they're listening to what people want and bringing it to them .. even if it has the Apple spin on it .. They're not just sitting there doing nothing and being content.
    I think what keeps Apple successful is that they always have the end-user in mind. As long as that's their focus, they should do pretty well.
    11-02-2014 12:56 PM
    Same boat, same decision....couldn't be happier.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-02-2014 02:53 PM
    Had the first Iphone thru the 4th one, and then went with the Note 1 back in 2011 and never looked back.
    11-02-2014 04:17 PM
    Just to add my 2 cents, I have a MacBook and an iPad, but I've never owned an iPhone. To me, Android offers so much more with what others have mentioned in terms of customization and cutting edge technology. I love the Google integration, albeit it was creepy at first like when my Note 2 would alert me when I needed to leave for work due to traffic or when it would tell me about restaurants and the weather in destinations I was traveling to because it just knew. I upgraded to the Note 4 for the screen, the S pen features, Foxfi so I can tether my other devices, and just because Android is cool. Like their new commercials, "Be together, not the same."
    11-02-2014 04:53 PM
    Had the first Iphone thru the 4th one, and then went with the Note 1 back in 2011 and never looked back.
    It's a great line of products.

Sent from my Space Grey, 128 GB, iPhone 6 Plus (that took 5 weeks to ship to me through AT&T) using Tapatalk
    11-02-2014 06:47 PM
    Get the iPhone if you like:
    paying more for less.
    11-04-2014 03:15 PM
    I've been a long term iPhone user and have an iPad and MacBook Pro. I'm thinking of getting a Samsung Note 4 instead of iPhone 6 Plus. Has anyone done this? Are you satisfied?
    I switched it's nice to have an independent way if thinking when it comes down to your smartphone
    The only thing that's different is the fact that you can express your way of thought with widgets look and feel of the way it runs
    It's smooth but not as refined as an iPhone if you want something out the box that's simple and straightforward get the Nexus
    11-04-2014 03:28 PM
    I switched it's nice to have an independent way if thinking when it comes down to your smartphone
    The only thing that's different is the fact that you can express your way of thought with widgets look and feel of the way it runs
    It's smooth but not as refined as an iPhone if you want something out the box that's simple and straightforward get the Nexus
    Even though I chose to keep the iPhone 6 Plus over the Note 4, there are still days when I think that I had made a mistake. And I love the iPhone 6 Plus.

11-04-2014 04:06 PM
    Be happy you have an amazing phone
    11-04-2014 04:11 PM
    Be happy you have an amazing phone
    Either would be amazing.
    11-04-2014 04:16 PM
    Well, I plan on switching to the Note 4 later this month from windows phone. I just can't wait until next year for an upgrade, especially since TMO jump will actually be somewhat economical for me. So, after looking at the iPhone 6 plus and note 4 for the past week I've decided to choose the note 4 for the following reasons.

1. Stylus + onenote inking

2. Air command

3. Multitasking features thiugh they seem a bit limited as of now

4. Removable battery. I've owned two iDevices and have family members with iDevices and battery problems seem to haunt us after around the 1 year mark.

5. SD card

6. Faster charging

7. Ultra power saving mode

8. Ability to to adjust screen color

9. Better battery life (according to phonearena and gsmarena)

10. Health sensors built in. Blood oxygen sensor will actually come in handy for workouts. I'll also use the HR sensor unitil I'm able to find a HR watch/band that I like.

11. Advanced audio player functionality

12. Audio output on the external speakers beats out the iPhone 6 Plus. And the headphone out is super close, but the Note 4 edges the Plus 6 out in frequency response which is what I care about most.

13. I can't stand iOS's homescreen after having used it for the last 6 years. Will be trying out the themer app and widgets.

14. I don't like the iPhone 6's design. I really never thought I'd say a Galaxy phone looked better to me than an iPhone. The 4 and 5 were great designs IMO, but the 6/Plus not so much.
    Greg P1 likes this.
    11-04-2014 07:34 PM
    I do think there is something inherently wrong with the way Apple manages the Apple ecosystem. If you have all Apple machines from devices to computers, IMO you are really at risk. ''Apple does what it wants to do on its schedule. If you are totally Apple that can be a big problem. It was at one point not so much of a risk I think. But as they have matured, they have started to ....well ...act like a maturing company. They are not nearly the almost perfect company they once were.

How similar are some of the things Apple does now to just the sort of things that drove people from PC based computing to Apple in droves..darned similar if you ask me and I was around for both happenings.

Updates are starting to get ridiculously frequent over there these days and as was the case with Microsoft in the bad old days, many of them are fixes not true upgrades or updates.

One thing that Apple does rather regularly now that really buried Microsoft once it became just too much to take is that Microsoft would dig a hole for itself and just keep digging until everybody was down there in the same hole with them....all together. Then wonder of wonders, they would release an update or an upgrade that "fixed" everything and also happened to take everybody in exactly the direction Mircosoft wanted to go.

I will keep my Macbooks. Still love them. But I am done with Apple devices....all done. I depend on mine too much to be at Apple's mercy. I actually think if they did not have every teenager dying for a iPhone as soon as he gets some disposable income much like we as young executives just had to have out BMW phase, I think Apple would be in much worse shape than it is. My biggest surprises:
    1) They have gotten ridiculously behind....they release new devices that include stuff that was abandoned by its competitors two device generations ago
    2) I think Apple had taken this "choose your storage on day when, when you buy the device with no alternative thing" about as far as they can take it and in fact I think they have taken it too far now. It is 2014 for crying out loud. Forcing a user to choose on day one, when he buys the device and freezing him at that level used to work when we were all mesmerized by Apple. It is a loser long term. Apple continues to do it because they can up sell you based on fear that you won't have enough, turning your device basically into a brick in the process. That does not sound much like listening to customers to me and it is completely premeditated on their part regardless of what they might say to the contrary.
    11-04-2014 08:18 PM
    You guys aren't going to believe what I did today. So tomorrow is my 14 day window to return my iPhone 6 Plus and I decided to exchange it for the Note 4 again! I don't know what came over me. But I just got the urge to get it back.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
    11-04-2014 08:59 PM
    I wouldn't compare to the note 4. If your switching from some to android I would strongly suggest getting a device with stock or close to stock android

Nexus 6, Droid Turbo, new Moto X, our even the HTC one M8

The fluidity of the UI in these devices is comparable to iOS 8

11-04-2014 09:04 PM
    You guys aren't going to believe what I did today. So tomorrow is my 14 day window to return my iPhone 6 Plus and I decided to exchange it for the Note 4 again! I don't know what came over me. But I just got the urge to get it back.

That's awesome. ...I have been following your plight. Let me know if you find any camera tricks. ...only thing I missing so far from the 6 Plus ....my decision day is 10 more days

11-04-2014 09:37 PM

Good decision. Both are great tech. Heck, I'm typing this on an old ipad 3 right now. But I just prefer android in my pocket. Made it 6 mos with a 4s one time. It became so......boring? Yeah, not really sure how else to say it. Great app ecosystem, excellent music player, good phone; but I just wanted android back, lol. Got an S3 and kept it over 2 years. If it wasn't for the note 4 being such a powerhouse for me, I'd still bee using the S3 happily.

Now my 73 yo mother? I just bought her a gold iphone 6 plus. She loves it! "Can see the grand kids better while facetiming on the big screen", lol.
    11-04-2014 10:37 PM
    So, my IT guy told me that I averaged a new phone every 9 days so far this year, so, I am a phone junkie. I like the competition right now. Its good for us, yet we argue back and forth about which is the best, most feature packed, etc... I currently have the LG G3 cat 6 the 6+ and the BB Passport
    (thinking about the GN4 because I loved the GN3).

To stay on topic, the 6+ is very nice. Great build quality, smooth as can be and great battery life. The GN4 finally nailed everything I wanted from the GN3 (I have only handled display model) which was design and dropping the shiny plastic. I am going to order a GN4 soon for the stylus because I use my phone for work 75% of the time. If it were the other way around, probably the 6+.

BTW, the BB Passport is a big step for BB and I welcome the competition.
    11-04-2014 10:44 PM
    I'll trade my note 4 for your plus. Send me a message. I'm on att and it's like new. Had it 2 weeks. White.

11-05-2014 12:40 AM
115 12345