Change Note 4 background color of settings menu?

geekgirrl

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I use to have the S3 and LOVED it. Left iphone for it.
Now we upgraded to Note 4's on vzn. Had it 4 days now.
HATE how Samsung changed the default bacground color of the settings menu, text conversation list and other menus to white. All other samsung devices have always been black with white text.
Please Please Please tell me there is a easy way to change this back to black with white text. It bothers me so much I want to trade it in for and S5.
I took the phone to bestbuy and they worked on it for an hour and nobody could figure it out. They said the only was was to root. I really dont want to do that. Is there an app that can do this? Or is there another way the bb missed?
Thanks. :'(

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I use to have the S3 and LOVED it. Left iphone for it.
Now we upgraded to Note 4's on vzn. Had it 4 days now.
HATE how Samsung changed the default bacground color of the settings menu, text conversation list and other menus to white. All other samsung devices have always been black with white text.
Please Please Please tell me there is a easy way to change this back to black with white text. It bothers me so much I want to trade it in for and S5.
I took the phone to bestbuy and they worked on it for an hour and nobody could figure it out. They said the only was was to root. I really dont want to do that. Is there an app that can do this? Or is there another way the bb missed?
Thanks. :'(
The only way would be to root and replace the settings with a themed version. The s5 also has the white settings.

geekgirrl

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
How easy and stable is it to root the note 4 at this time? I didnt see a link for this phone yet under root at the top.
Can we get the bozos at Samsung to change it back to black for lollipop? Ever heard of this happening?

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
How easy and stable is it to root the note 4 at this time? I didnt see a link for this phone yet under root at the top.
Can we get the bozos at Samsung to change it back to black for lollipop? Ever heard of this happening?
Lollipop is even lighter and brighter lol. The Verizon Note 4 has a locked bootloader. The pros need to figure out how to either unlock it or bypass it for root. I don't follow other carrier variants, so I'm not sure of the current status on the Verizon variant.

geekgirrl

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Brighter is ok I just want to ability/choice of the background color on my settings page. How hard is that for them to just put that in there. I think I know a few people with lollipop. I'll have to see if that option is built into the os. I LOVE this phone and the screen is the best out there and I dont want to trade it in for anything but i just may have to root. Grrrrrrrrrr.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I like the white background. I've had black backgrounds since the Nexus S 4G, I was more than ready for a change.

via The Note 4

geekgirrl

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
It's ok that some people what it white buy why did then not give us a choice. You can freaking edit almost every thing in the world on the phone. Not thinking people would like to change ALL background colors is a stupid mistake by samsung.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree...I don't have settings on THAT much but I like dark better and it takes less battery...

It's ok that some people what it white buy why did then not give us a choice. You can freaking edit almost every thing in the world on the phone. Not thinking people would like to change ALL background colors is a stupid mistake by samsung.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Editing the system colors requires root access. The manufacturers would need to sell rooted phones in order to have that ability built in.

geekgirrl

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I totally disagree. The background color in settings is no different than another background color. It's all how you write the os. Not allowing us to change it is being more like apple. I'll get an iphone if I want things locked down or the only way to change them is to root. It's just bad planning. Really? It's that hard to make that and option? Really? NO. It's just not that hard. It's really engineers making decisions they have no business making as they have not tried it on real people who are not engineers. I've been in many of those type of meetings and it's why we have so many bad products in the world. The consumer tells you what to design and how to design it. The consumer is your boss.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You just reminded me...there might be whole settings apps out there. I used to use Power Toggles but I haven't in a long time. Check out that and look for others...Same general feeling I had about Stock email and calendar which helped me find Blue Mail and Today.

I totally disagree. The background color in settings is no different than another background color. It's all how you write the os. Not allowing us to change it is being more like apple. I'll get an iphone if I want things locked down or the only way to change them is to root. It's just bad planning. Really? It's that hard to make that and option? Really? NO. It's just not that hard. It's really engineers making decisions they have no business making as they have not tried it on real people who are not engineers. I've been in many of those type of meetings and it's why we have so many bad products in the world. The consumer tells you what to design and how to design it. The consumer is your boss.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
There's nothing to disagree about.. It's in the facts. To root means to gain access to system files/the OS. In order to edit the colors of anything in the system, you need access to those files. Sure, they could code in a setting that allows you to do it, but it wouldn't function unless you have root access. Otherwise the editor wouldn't be able to reach the correct files to change the color.

geekgirrl

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Look they write code in the system to let you change the background, lockscreen and other colors. There is no difference. So the facts are if you write in a code to allow one setting change then you can write in code to allow anything else to be changed. And you dont need root access if they write it in the original code.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Look they write code in the system to let you change the background, lockscreen and other colors. There is no difference. So the facts are if you write in a code to allow one setting change then you can write in code to allow anything else to be changed. And you dont need root access if they write it in the original code.
The things you're currently able to edit are being edited at an apk level, not the system level. It's completely different. It would be the same as trying to theme your status bar icons. You need root access. You would need to find the file that contains the settings background image, pull it, decompile it, replace the image, re compile, then push it back. There are probably some xml strings involved as well.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm rooted. I've themed my notification drawer and different devs have been theming other things. I'm sure a dark settings will show up some time. Root is the way to go for all things theming though.

Attachments

• 1414637710872.jpg
    1414637710872.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 93

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think OP's point is that they COULD do anything they want...up to and including having separate "Light Settings" and "Dark Settings". I don't think trying to turn her (or the rest of us) into programmers is really productive. For now WE have to live with it on this phone but it could easily be a choice.

The things you're currently able to edit are being edited at an apk level, not the system level. It's completely different. It would be the same as trying to theme your status bar icons. You need root access. You would need to find the file that contains the settings background image, pull it, decompile it, replace the image, re compile, then push it back. There are probably some xml strings involved as well.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I think OP's point is that they COULD do anything they want...up to and including having separate "Light Settings" and "Dark Settings". I don't think trying to turn her (or the rest of us) into programmers is really productive. For now WE have to live with it on this phone but it could easily be a choice.
I know the OP's point, and I know they COULD do anything they want. The point I was trying to make is that they would need to give you root access out of the box in order to add that functionality. That's all. I got into details once false information about how it's incorporated was brought up.

briankstan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
you can change the texting back to the way it looked with the black background by using Handcent Messaging App and using the Samsung Skin. That is what I have on mine and it works great.

see attached pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-30-09-20-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-30-09-20-27.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 77

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm rooted. I've themed my notification drawer and different devs have been theming other things. I'm sure a dark settings will show up some time. Root is the way to go for all things theming though.

You're rooted on a N4? What did you use? I've seen a lot of people on here claiming there are no stable root methods out currently.

Posted via the Android Central App

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
You're rooted on a N4? What did you use? I've seen a lot of people on here claiming there are no stable root methods out currently.

Posted via the Android Central App
It depends what carrier variant you have. Verizon and Att have locked bootloaders and can't be rooted currently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton