Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Picasa and Google+ pics?

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Is it really necessary to have both? I mean, I have my pics in Google+ so there's no need to have them in Picasa too? Or am I missing something?

via Note 4 on Verizon Wireless

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Picasa and Google+ pics?

Picasa and Google+ are the same thing. On Android devices, Picasa generally represents how the stock Gallery syncs with your Google+ photo albums in the cloud. If you go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account] and see Picasa there, checking it on means you will sync your Google+ photo albums to the stock Gallery app, while unchecking it means you won't see those cloud albums in the Gallery. Google+ Photos is what you check on if you want the Photos app to sync with your cloud albums.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

So I can't delete photos from Picasa? At least it won't let me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You can delete photos from your Google+ Photos account, and that deletion should sync with your Gallery. I have found that on my devices, I can't delete cloud photos from the Gallery app, but I can do so from the Photos app, so you can try that as well.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

You can delete photos from your Google+ Photos account, and that deletion should sync with your Gallery. I have found that on my devices, I can't delete cloud photos from the Gallery app, but I can do so from the Photos app, so you can try that as well.

I guess my issue now is that I have pictures in my Picasa that aren't in my Google+ photos. Kinda confused.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

In that situation, you may have to go to the App Manager, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. The next time you open Gallery, the database will repopulate, this time without those photos.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately that didn't work. Which is weird because I expected it would.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

When you say you still have the photos in Picasa, you mean in the stock Gallery, right? Did you uncheck Picasa in Settings>Accounts-Google>[your account]? It might also be listed as "Gallery" or "Google Photos" (not "Google+ Photos"--very confusing, I know).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The photos that are in the Gallery but not in Photos--are they labeled as "Picasa" photos? Do they have a little Picasa icon at the lower right of the thumbnail? What happens when you try to delete them from Gallery--is there no option to do so?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, rewind a few posts. When I suggested Clear Cache and Clear Data, you definitely tapped both, right? Not just Clear Cache?

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just went and turned off Picasa sync and cleared cache, data, and force closed the Gallery app. Now what?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought you had tried all of that already--are you trying again? The next step is to open Gallery again, and wait a few seconds for the database to repopulate with local photos. Usually, the Gallery should not show any more Picasa photos in this situation, after doing what you just did.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was trying it again. The thing is is that I have only photos that are backed up. None are actually stored on the phone itself. So unless I re-enable Picasa sync, nothing will show up in the gallery. But I'll still have photos I want to get rid of. Photos I thought I already deleted and magically reappeared.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you delete those photos in your Google+ Photos on the web? Or do you still want to keep those photos backed up on the web, and not show them in your phone's Gallery?

If you just don't want the photos, find them in your Google+ Photo album on the web, and delete it there.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The photos are showing in Google+ too, but there are duplicates in Picasa of the same photos. I can't delete the duplicates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying not to get too confused here, so bear with me. Let me make sure I have this right:

1. On your phone, you have Picasa sync checked on in Settings>Accounts-Google.
2. In your Google+ Photos webpage on your computer, you see the photos that you don't want.
3. In your phone's Gallery app, you see those same photos, but can't delete them from there.

Do I have that right? If yes, then on your Google+ Photos webpage on your computer, select the photo you don't want and delete it. That photo was presumably still syncing with your phone's Gallery through Picasa, which is why you still saw it there. Make sure the photos are gone from Google+ Photos--refresh the webpage a couple of times to make sure they don't pop up again for some reason.

After deleting the photo on your Google+ Photos webpage, now go through that same process we went through before of Clearing Cache/Data from the phone's Gallery app, then Force Stopping. Open Gallery again, and see if the unwanted photos show up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12