So I am wondering if I have an issue or I am being paranoid, feel free to tell me I am, I can handle it.

Long time Samsung phone user, S3, S4, Note 2, Note 3, now a Note 4. Oh, I am on T-Mobile

Phone has been working great, great battery, everything top notch.

Today I was working in our data center (literally a bunker, no cell service), after leaving the data center go outside, have a good LTE connection, getting emails, etc. Go to make a phone call and it tells me I have no cell connection (again, I have LTE for data, and 5 bars for phone). Reboot, same thing. Turn off and on, mobile data. still says no cell connection (all the while, getting emails).

Pocket the phone. at 95% battery, drive 20 miles to office, pull phone out, it's too hot to touch. Battery is at 50%.

Do a battery pull, wait 20 minutes and put battery back in, still says no cell connection (again, getting data). Try calling the phone, direct to voice mail. Try selecting new network operator, still no joy. finally turn ON and then off, airplane mode, and the phone starts working (making and receiving calls),

Might have been it was somehow stuck in airplane mode and toggling it fixed it.

Noticed that now when I reboot, I have to manually turn on WiFi and Bluetooth (waited 30 minutes and they had not come on).

run my phone on silent ringer all day, at night turn the ringer on, noticed it did not make a sound when I did it, but it plays music and rings when I call it.

So, did I just get caught in some strange state, or do I have a hardware issue?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Steve
    10-28-2014 12:21 AM
    So I am wondering if I have an issue or I am being paranoid, feel free to tell me I am, I can handle it.

Long time Samsung phone user, S3, S4, Note 2, Note 3, now a Note 4. Oh, I am on T-Mobile

Phone has been working great, great battery, everything top notch.

Today I was working in our data center (literally a bunker, no cell service), after leaving the data center go outside, have a good LTE connection, getting emails, etc. Go to make a phone call and it tells me I have no cell connection (again, I have LTE for data, and 5 bars for phone). Reboot, same thing. Turn off and on, mobile data. still says no cell connection (all the while, getting emails).

Pocket the phone. at 95% battery, drive 20 miles to office, pull phone out, it's too hot to touch. Battery is at 50%.

Do a battery pull, wait 20 minutes and put battery back in, still says no cell connection (again, getting data). Try calling the phone, direct to voice mail. Try selecting new network operator, still no joy. finally turn ON and then off, airplane mode, and the phone starts working (making and receiving calls),

Might have been it was somehow stuck in airplane mode and toggling it fixed it.

Noticed that now when I reboot, I have to manually turn on WiFi and Bluetooth (waited 30 minutes and they had not come on).

run my phone on silent ringer all day, at night turn the ringer on, noticed it did not make a sound when I did it, but it plays music and rings when I call it.

So, did I just get caught in some strange state, or do I have a hardware issue?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Steve
    You don't happen to be in Florida do you? Yesterday tmo suffered a massive Data outage throughout a good portion of the state for over 2 hours.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-28-2014 02:15 AM
    Nope, north texas. Funny thing, the phone is working just fine today
    10-28-2014 12:35 PM