Does the Note 4 improve/fix these horrendous Note 3 issues?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well it sounds like the Note 4 isn't remotely worth the cost and hassle to upgrade too for the pitiful camera upgrade and worthless screen change IMO as I didn't see much improvement from 720P on my Note 2 to 1080P on my Note 3. I'll save my Jump! upgrade till next year when hopefully sony will announce and release a powerhouse Xperia Z Ultra 2 or HTC releases M9 Prime.

Thanks for the blunt and honest info, thats what I needed

Don't misunderstand, the Note 4 is absolutely worth any upgrade from any device. The camera is great in the vast majority of settings, and the screen is absolutely stunning. We're just saying it's not for you. And there's nothing wrong with that. There's so many other awesome alternatives that will give you the break from Samsung that you clearly need. Let us know what you decide to go with and how you like it!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, i'll have to wait till next year for that as nothing else is worthwhile right now.

ha ha. Man, I had a hard time deciding between like 4 devices and you see nothing of interest! That blows my mind. In all honesty I cannot wait to see what you choose because it's going to have to be pretty amazing. I respect that.

rlindydiane

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have always had and avidly use my SD. That being said I ALSO use my Google Cloud, wallet, and drive. I was skeptical at first especially coming from a BlackBerry which used desktop software to backup your device, but to me it's insurance. If anything happens to my SD Card or my PC I'll never lose anything that can't be replaced.

Posted via the Android Central App

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting a Note 4 this week and my fiancee is getting an iPhone 6+. It will be interesting to compare the two, especially with regards to the screen and camera, the two most important things for me on a smartphone.

I don't have any friends who have a 6+ but have several with the 6. At a wedding this past weekend, we all took a bunch of pictures (I have a GS4) and mine came out just as good if not better than the pics taken with the 6. I took a couple of the same pics with both my GS4 and the 6; not much of a difference and not just in my opinion either. I'm wondering if the 6+ will be noticeably better in terms of camera use vs the 6.

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
You definitely have more self control than me :D.

ha ha. Man, I had a hard time deciding between like 4 devices and you see nothing of interest! That blows my mind. In all honesty I cannot wait to see what you choose because it's going to have to be pretty amazing. I respect that.

Basically, I cant' go anything smaller, I love large screen phones after getting the Note series, so basically I want a phone thats 5.7'' or larger and nothing out right now beyond the Xperia Z Ultra fits that criteria. Sadly, the Ultra has a **** poor camera and no flash, so hence why I don't get one now. If Ultra 2 comes out next year, rumors of the full 64bit Snapdragon 810 along with 4gigs of ram and a full IPS 2560x1600 screen with sony optical zoom will make it Godlike among smartphones.

samsung-galaxy-note-3-vs-sony-xperia-z-ultra-22.jpg

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting a Note 4 this week and my fiancee is getting an iPhone 6+. It will be interesting to compare the two, especially with regards to the screen and camera, the two most important things for me on a smartphone.

I don't have any friends who have a 6+ but have several with the 6. At a wedding this past weekend, we all took a bunch of pictures (I have a GS4) and mine came out just as good if not better than the pics taken with the 6. I took a couple of the same pics with both my GS4 and the 6; not much of a difference and not just in my opinion either. I'm wondering if the 6+ will be noticeably better in terms of camera use vs the 6.

I know you can't do much about the disparity in phones with a loved one, but I must say that I keep my wife's phone the same as mine. We have gone through several smart phones that are always the same model. It makes troubleshooting a 1000% easier when there is an issue with one of the phones. Plus, what my wife doesn't understand (which is a lot! LOL! ), I can quickly show her as I'm familiar with her phone. It also works out better when dealing with accessories. Next time you get yourself a main squeeze, choose an Android user! LOL!!! j/k good luck.

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, i'll have to wait till next year for that as nothing else is worthwhile right now.
Honestly, I kind of agree. So far this year's crop of Android devices has been pretty underwhelming. About the only ones I am slightly interested in is the Note 4 and the Nexus 6. But what does the Nexus 6 REALLY offer over any other device besides direct updates? It's really not that much better than the Nexus 5 aside from screen size and doesn't really have any new features. I was going to preorder it until I realized that it was a marginal upgrade almost 2 year old One M7.

The Note 4 is intriguing but still lacking in some areas that it really shouldn't at this point for an $800 phone (although that $200 dollar giftcard deal might be too hard to pass up if I can still get it). To be perfectly honest I think the iPhone 6/6+ are the most innovative phones in this cycle so far. I'm excited to see what HTC has up their sleeves though.

That said, my girlfriend just bought a Note 4 and so far she loves it. I played around with it and the S-Pen is almost worth it, the display is nice, and the quick charge feature is cool. Not a huge fan of Touchwiz but it's greatly improved from the past iterations as far as I can tell. Personally I think the mutli-tasking features are kind of gimmicky and limited usefulness but they are there if you want them. The camera seems OK but needs some tinkering to take decent low light shots and didn't seem to be as fast as my M7. I can't speak to the fixing of Note 3 issues but it seems like if you are comfortable with TouchWiz and Samsung phones you will probably love the Note 4.

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Granted the Nexus 6 is a good sized screen but Nexus tends to have cruddy camera's and T-Mobile doesnt' support Nexus on their networks until just recently, so thats not an option either.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Granted the Nexus 6 is a good sized screen but Nexus tends to have cruddy camera's and T-Mobile doesnt' support Nexus on their networks until just recently, so thats not an option either.

They did say it'll get wifi calling in January I believe.

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
They did say it'll get wifi calling in January I believe.
I believe Wifi calling is built into Lollipop and iOS8 so it should be supported regardless, at least on the Nexus and iOS8 phones.

I had my Nexus 4 on Tmobile for a few months 2 years ago and it was fully supported as well as my friend's Nexus 5 so I'm not sure why you think they don't support it?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
To be perfectly honest I think the iPhone 6/6+ are the most innovative phones in this cycle so far. I'm excited to see what HTC has up their sleeves though.

I legitimately have to ask what in the He** makes you think the iPhone 6 and 6+ are the most innovative in this years crop? I ask that not to start a flame war of any kind, or to be asking for trouble. I honest to goodness cannot comprehend what would make someone think those devices are innovative. What I see, is the same old Apple stuff but with an Android screen size. Maybe for the Apple world they're innovative because they're so much bigger, but in comparison to any other tech on the market I am failing miserably in trying to find innovation in those iPhone's.

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I legitimately have to ask what in the He** makes you think the iPhone 6 and 6+ are the most innovative in this years crop? I ask that not to start a flame war of any kind, or to be asking for trouble. I honest to goodness cannot comprehend what would make someone think those devices are innovative. What I see, is the same old Apple stuff but with an Android screen size. Maybe for the Apple world they're innovative because they're so much bigger, but in comparison to any other tech on the market I am failing miserably in trying to find innovation in those iPhone's.

768.f2g

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, for starters TouchID is incredible and IMO a potential game changer for things like Last Pass/1password, NFC payments, and security in general. The A8 processor is a beast in benchmarks and real world performance. The camera is probably the best on the market and if you have a Mac with Yosemite the handoff stuff is pretty cool. I really like the idea of ApplePay as well (the card information being stored on your device) if it is in fact as secure as they claim. I also love the 6 Plus landscape mode especially if they can get it functioning as well as the iPad.

Is most of this stuff available on the Note 4? Yes. Does it do it as well as the the 6//Plus? In my opinion, no (specifically the fingerprint scanner and the camera). That said the Note 4 is a close second and has the S-pen and turbo charging. But if I were choosing between the two in equal circumstances (ie no $200 giftcards or crazy discounts) I'd chose the 6 Plus. Now if they made a Nexus device with the same features I listed on the 6 Plus I'd be all over it. I'm digging what I've seen of Lollipop but unfortunately in my personal opinion it just doesn't offer enough to warrant spending $700.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, for starters TouchID is incredible and IMO a potential game changer for things like Last Pass/1password, NFC payments, and security in general. The A8 processor is a beast in benchmarks and real world performance. The camera is probably the best on the market and if you have a Mac with Yosemite the handoff stuff is pretty cool. I really like the idea of ApplePay as well (the card information being stored on your device) if it is in fact as secure as they claim. I also love the 6 Plus landscape mode especially if they can get it functioning as well as the iPad.

Is most of this stuff available on the Note 4? Yes. Does it do it as well as the the 6//Plus? In my opinion, no (specifically the fingerprint scanner and the camera). That said the Note 4 is a close second and has the S-pen and turbo charging. But if I were choosing between the two in equal circumstances (ie no $200 giftcards or crazy discounts) I'd chose the 6 Plus. Now if they made a Nexus device with the same features I listed on the 6 Plus I'd be all over it. I'm digging what I've seen of Lollipop but unfortunately in my personal opinion it just doesn't offer enough to warrant spending $700.

I will agree about the Touch ID. The camera I honestly feel is a toss up because the Note 4 does much better in daytime shots from what i've seen and what most professional reviewers say. Apple Pay is the dumbest thing in the world in my eyes because all they did was copied Google Wallet and gave it a new name. There's zero innovation there when it's 3 years behind it's main competitor.

I can see how the camera in low light and touch ID could be huge for some. I also understand if you need Apple products so they play well with other Apple products you already own. I understand the iPhone 6 and 6+ are great devices. In my opinion, the very best iPhones yet. But I don't feel that they are the most innovative on the market. To me, innovation is new features that work well. The S pen is innovation. Moto's touchless controls are innovative. LG's button placement and "Knock on" feature is innovative. Apple doing Touch ID in the past was innovative. The i6 did nothing but take what they already had plus a few things that everyone else does, and make the screen bigger along the way. Great device, but not what i'd call "innovative."

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe Wifi calling is built into Lollipop and iOS8 so it should be supported regardless, at least on the Nexus and iOS8 phones.

I had my Nexus 4 on Tmobile for a few months 2 years ago and it was fully supported as well as my friend's Nexus 5 so I'm not sure why you think they don't support it?

They may have supported wifi calling as in Voip calls.. But not actual T-Mobile wifi calling where people call my normal cell number and it goes through my wifi instead. That is new to Nexus and usually has only been a T-Mobile branded phone thing.... And yes Apple worked with T-Mobile to do it for iOS 8..but it only works for T-Mobile customers.

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
The i6 did nothing but take what they already had plus a few things that everyone else does, and make the screen bigger along the way. Great device, but not what i'd call "innovative."

Or what I like to call "Apples business strategy is to create/"copy" then "Overhype" then "sue"

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I would fall over dead if I saw people actually getting credit where it's due. Therefore, I guess I can be grateful that some people think Apple was innovating when they announced "Apple Pay".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital