03-08-2017 10:17 AM
37 12
tools
    I agree. I am rather puzzled that one of an app's primary functions, speaking directions, is so poorly implemented. Would it be that difficult to have the app use the phone's default voice?

For that reason, as well as its simplicity and price, I prefer "Here". It's always 100% free, advertised as "Maps for life" and has NO ads. You can download a hi-quality voice from a long list to insure a good pronunciation and something you can tolerate over a long drive (free, too). Works great, I prefer to have various distinct voices for phone and apps; it definitely reduces confusion.

In addition, you can download COMPLETE maps of states/provinces/whole countries for offline use (save mem space by downloading just the maps you need) in 100 countries for FREE, too. This is great when you don't have service for a bazillion different reasons, you can still get a map with verbal turn-by-turn directions. I tried it with all data connections turned off - works great. It's awesome going to farms in areas where I can't retreive data service any other way (wrong provider, no cell towers, no McDonalds for WiFi, etc.). No excuse for getting lost… unless your battery dies.

It's perfect for anyone without a data plan (my original reason), just download the maps from your computer or any WiFi connection.

All I get from Google Maps is a sea of grey the moment I cross state lines.

(No, I do not have any connection to the people at "Here".)
    04-22-2015 09:38 AM
    Hey thanks for the reply and tip. Just wondering though, we're you ever able to successfully switch the voice of Google maps ever before you switched to 'here'? I'm just trying to see if anyone with a note 4 has ever done it, if not I can stop trying all together
    04-22-2015 09:52 AM
    The lack of replies makes it seem like no one has been able to successfully change the voice in Google maps on their note 4.

Must be a Samsung thing/bug because I heard a friend's nexus 5 pronounce street names just fine
    Eric Rhodes1 likes this.
    04-25-2015 09:33 PM
    The lack of replies makes it seem like no one has been able to successfully change the voice in Google maps on their note 4.

Must be a Samsung thing/bug because I heard a friend's nexus 5 pronounce street names just fine
    I looked, but found no way to change it on my Verizon Note 4.
    04-26-2015 12:08 AM
    Try Waze. It's vastly superior to Google Maps for navigation. Google paid close to a billion -- yes, billion -- dollars for it a little over a year ago. The female navigation voice is so much better.
    It truly is. Google's voice pronounces "Pts" as P T S. Waze says "points".
    01-30-2016 06:00 PM
    All of google's apps use network TTS. Your best bet is to downgrade to an earlier version of Maps (9.1.x), where the option to change voice is still available.
    03-03-2016 06:26 PM
    I like my tinny voiced female direction giver. I tried the high quality voice and it freaked both me and my fiancee out. Sounded like some lonely hooker trying to seduce you by giving you directions in a sultry/whispery voice.

What was even scarier was the transition in between robotica and sexotica! First half of the directions was given old voice and new sounded like she got posessed by a sex demon!!!

Made me want to call a priest!
    Hahaha sorry but that made me crack up laughing

Posted via the Android Central App
    osta.doc likes this.
    03-07-2016 07:00 PM
    how do you download that apps?i've search it but i can't find it..can you give me the url to download?can you?
    04-07-2016 07:13 PM
    You can find the Here Maps at the google play store.

Here Maps
    04-08-2016 02:20 PM
    So far no one has posted the correct answer.

You have to make all of these changes to tts and maybe to phone language as well. BUT THEN YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE NAVIGATION APP, GO TO SETTINGS, LOG OUT AND THEN LOG IN AGAIN.

Why? Because AI is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far away.
    09-26-2016 04:53 AM
    Try Waze. It's vastly superior to Google Maps for navigation. Google paid close to a billion -- yes, billion -- dollars for it a little over a year ago. The female navigation voice is so much better. I haven't tried the male navigation voice. There are other, very weird navigation voices available, too. You want Elvis? You got him. How about Terry Crews? Him, too.
    Both Waze and Gmail have publicly admitted that neither lived up to claims.....Waze in that their customization didn't really work and Google that they don't monitor Waze for accuracy, it's "user based" and therefore not subject to the same regulations. Google staying they aren't willing to "substantiate claims made by Waze"..."when it comes to user capabilities and promised functions".
    02-09-2017 09:28 PM
    These are steps that work to change the language/accent that Google Maps speaks to you:

1. First, go to Settings>Language & Input>Languages, and select the one you want. Make sure it's listed as Default (or move it to the top of the list).
    2. Next, go to Settings>Language & Input>Text-To-Speech Output, and tap the gear icon next to Google Text-To-Speech Engine, then Language, and select that language.
    3. Go back one menu level, and tap Install Voice Data. Make sure the language data is installed.

Google Maps should now be speaking to you in that language/accent.
    03-08-2017 10:17 AM
37 12