Changing Google Maps Voice?

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I have tried going to Language and Input and using Google's TTS service but it seems like Maps ignores whatever I select. The voice navigation default is terrible. Any ideas?

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I have tried going to Language and Input and using Google's TTS service but it seems like Maps ignores whatever I select. The voice navigation default is terrible. Any ideas?
I was just thinking the same thing. Coming from the N5, the voice was very nice, where this one is so robotic. I hate it but will be trying this method.

shamdawg

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Did you guys install the high quality voice?
f407eca06845474233c80b7d88c273ac.jpg

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I've used Ivona for years on my S3, and it was one of the first things I loaded on my Note 4. It's the most realistic out of all that I've tried. I prefer the British female one personally, but they have a lot of different voices (the files are pretty big for each voice though).

charleskoz

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Related question: is there any way to control the volume of the voice? I have the HQ voice and it isn't bad, but when she pipes over my music, boy is it loud. And it seems music and the nav voice are both controlled by the same "media" volume slider.

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I like my tinny voiced female direction giver. I tried the high quality voice and it freaked both me and my fiancee out. Sounded like some lonely hooker trying to seduce you by giving you directions in a sultry/whispery voice.

What was even scarier was the transition in between robotica and sexotica! First half of the directions was given old voice and new sounded like she got posessed by a sex demon!!!

Made me want to call a priest!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
How do you apply the voice to Google maps once you've downloaded the voices from Galaxy apps?

i can't figure it out either. I've gone to Settings>language & input>preferred TTS engine, and selected Samsung engine (after having downloaded/installed the appropriate voice pack we are talking about here), listened to the example...but Google Maps and Google Now insist on using the default Google voice. WTH??? I also tried rebooting the phone. No joy.

FYI: looks like people in google product forums are also complaining that they can't change the voice to the one they want, despite following the directions as I mentioned above.

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Related question: is there any way to control the volume of the voice? I have the HQ voice and it isn't bad, but when she pipes over my music, boy is it loud. And it seems music and the nav voice are both controlled by the same "media" volume slider.
If I recall correctly, you can only adjust the nav voice volume while it's actually playing.

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
i can't figure it out either. I've gone to Settings>language & input>preferred TTS engine, and selected Samsung engine (after having downloaded/installed the appropriate voice pack we are talking about here), listened to the example...but Google Maps and Google Now insist on using the default Google voice. WTH??? I also tried rebooting the phone. No joy.

FYI: looks like people in google product forums are also complaining that they can't change the voice to the one they want, despite following the directions as I mentioned above.
Try a different voice. I use Ivona, and it works currently. But sometimes when Google updates Maps it gets screwed up and reverts to the default voice. Sometimes it's just a matter of resetting it and rebooting. Other times it requires uninstalling Ivona, and reinstalling it, and occasionally it won't change until Google updates Maps again.

Google Now always seems to use the default voice though, as does S Voice.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Try a different voice. I use Ivona, and it works currently. But sometimes when Google updates Maps it gets screwed up and reverts to the default voice. Sometimes it's just a matter of resetting it and rebooting. Other times it requires uninstalling Ivona, and reinstalling it, and occasionally it won't change until Google updates Maps again.

S voice uses the high quality Samsung voice file, if installed, as well as Google Play books (if accessibility options are ON). Other than that, as far as I can tell, all other voice reproduction is from the Google voice files.

A couple of years ago, I tried Ivona for GM, but found that while the voice was nice, pronunciations of street names was often unintelligible, so I switched back to Google.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Try Waze. It's vastly superior to Google Maps for navigation. Google paid close to a billion -- yes, billion -- dollars for it a little over a year ago. The female navigation voice is so much better. I haven't tried the male navigation voice. There are other, very weird navigation voices available, too. You want Elvis? You got him. How about Terry Crews? Him, too.

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
S voice uses the high quality Samsung voice file, if installed, as well as Google Play books (if accessibility options are ON). Other than that, as far as I can tell, all other voice reproduction is from the Google voice files.

A couple of years ago, I tried Ivona for GM, but found that while the voice was nice, pronunciations of street names was often unintelligible, so I switched back to Google.

I've never been able to get Google Now to use my set voice. I rarely encounter unintelligible street name pronunciations, and the few I have, I would have gotten wrong too anyway... but I can definitely see that being a regional thing.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Try Waze. It's vastly superior to Google Maps for navigation. Google paid close to a billion -- yes, billion -- dollars for it a little over a year ago. The female navigation voice is so much better. I haven't tried the male navigation voice. There are other, very weird navigation voices available, too. You want Elvis? You got him. How about Terry Crews? Him, too.

Totally agree! However the one feature that GMaps has that Waze doesn't is to set for Walking directions! I live in a city where I often take public transit in to town and I have to switch to GMaps to get walking directions to where I am. But for driving...Waze is awesome! And the strange thing is...it's a Google product! Wish they'd integrate the 2!

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I think it really depends on your area. I tried Waze, and it kept trying to send me down alleys... alleys in Boston tend to involve steep inclines at the entrance and exit to the main streets, which is a really bad thing when you have a car with a low ground clearance combined with a long wheelbase. I've found that Google Maps with Ivona TTS works better for me.

But Android is all about options, so I suggest trying both and using the one that works best for you.

charleskoz

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

I tried Ivona as well and it does seem to work. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463