03-08-2017 11:17 AM
37 12
tools
    I have tried going to Language and Input and using Google's TTS service but it seems like Maps ignores whatever I select. The voice navigation default is terrible. Any ideas?
    10-28-2014 06:20 PM
    If you can download a new / higher quality TTS (text to speech) voice from the "Galaxy Apps" store.. Or use the link below .

http://www.samsungapps.com/appquery/...uipID=SM-N910T
    10-28-2014 06:22 PM
    I have tried going to Language and Input and using Google's TTS service but it seems like Maps ignores whatever I select. The voice navigation default is terrible. Any ideas?
    I was just thinking the same thing. Coming from the N5, the voice was very nice, where this one is so robotic. I hate it but will be trying this method.
    bcusack001 likes this.
    10-28-2014 06:32 PM
    Mines was on google by default...

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-28-2014 08:53 PM
    Did you guys install the high quality voice?
    10-29-2014 12:33 AM
    I've used Ivona for years on my S3, and it was one of the first things I loaded on my Note 4. It's the most realistic out of all that I've tried. I prefer the British female one personally, but they have a lot of different voices (the files are pretty big for each voice though).
    10-29-2014 06:02 AM
    How do you apply the voice to Google maps once you've downloaded the voices from Galaxy apps?
    1812dave likes this.
    10-29-2014 08:31 AM
    Related question: is there any way to control the volume of the voice? I have the HQ voice and it isn't bad, but when she pipes over my music, boy is it loud. And it seems music and the nav voice are both controlled by the same "media" volume slider.
    10-29-2014 08:52 AM
    If you can download a new / higher quality TTS (text to speech) voice from the "Galaxy Apps" store.. Or use the link below .

Samsung TTS US English Female High Quality | Tools | Samsung GALAXY Apps | Samsung Content & Services
    how do you apply once you download the tts app? or pack
    10-29-2014 09:53 AM
    I like my tinny voiced female direction giver. I tried the high quality voice and it freaked both me and my fiancee out. Sounded like some lonely hooker trying to seduce you by giving you directions in a sultry/whispery voice.

What was even scarier was the transition in between robotica and sexotica! First half of the directions was given old voice and new sounded like she got posessed by a sex demon!!!

Made me want to call a priest!
    10-29-2014 09:55 AM
    how do you apply once you download the tts app? or pack
    Settings > Language and Input > Text to speech options >

haven't tried it yet myself
    10-29-2014 10:50 AM
    How do you apply the voice to Google maps once you've downloaded the voices from Galaxy apps?

i can't figure it out either. I've gone to Settings>language & input>preferred TTS engine, and selected Samsung engine (after having downloaded/installed the appropriate voice pack we are talking about here), listened to the example...but Google Maps and Google Now insist on using the default Google voice. WTH??? I also tried rebooting the phone. No joy.

FYI: looks like people in google product forums are also complaining that they can't change the voice to the one they want, despite following the directions as I mentioned above.
    10-29-2014 11:04 AM
    Related question: is there any way to control the volume of the voice? I have the HQ voice and it isn't bad, but when she pipes over my music, boy is it loud. And it seems music and the nav voice are both controlled by the same "media" volume slider.
    If I recall correctly, you can only adjust the nav voice volume while it's actually playing.
    10-29-2014 11:10 AM
    i can't figure it out either. I've gone to Settings>language & input>preferred TTS engine, and selected Samsung engine (after having downloaded/installed the appropriate voice pack we are talking about here), listened to the example...but Google Maps and Google Now insist on using the default Google voice. WTH??? I also tried rebooting the phone. No joy.

FYI: looks like people in google product forums are also complaining that they can't change the voice to the one they want, despite following the directions as I mentioned above.
    Try a different voice. I use Ivona, and it works currently. But sometimes when Google updates Maps it gets screwed up and reverts to the default voice. Sometimes it's just a matter of resetting it and rebooting. Other times it requires uninstalling Ivona, and reinstalling it, and occasionally it won't change until Google updates Maps again.

Google Now always seems to use the default voice though, as does S Voice.
    10-29-2014 11:11 AM
    Try a different voice. I use Ivona, and it works currently. But sometimes when Google updates Maps it gets screwed up and reverts to the default voice. Sometimes it's just a matter of resetting it and rebooting. Other times it requires uninstalling Ivona, and reinstalling it, and occasionally it won't change until Google updates Maps again.

S voice uses the high quality Samsung voice file, if installed, as well as Google Play books (if accessibility options are ON). Other than that, as far as I can tell, all other voice reproduction is from the Google voice files.

A couple of years ago, I tried Ivona for GM, but found that while the voice was nice, pronunciations of street names was often unintelligible, so I switched back to Google.
    10-29-2014 11:45 AM
    Try Waze. It's vastly superior to Google Maps for navigation. Google paid close to a billion -- yes, billion -- dollars for it a little over a year ago. The female navigation voice is so much better. I haven't tried the male navigation voice. There are other, very weird navigation voices available, too. You want Elvis? You got him. How about Terry Crews? Him, too.
    brucedbr and iOSConvert2k14 like this.
    10-29-2014 11:46 AM
    S voice uses the high quality Samsung voice file, if installed, as well as Google Play books (if accessibility options are ON). Other than that, as far as I can tell, all other voice reproduction is from the Google voice files.

A couple of years ago, I tried Ivona for GM, but found that while the voice was nice, pronunciations of street names was often unintelligible, so I switched back to Google.
    I've never been able to get Google Now to use my set voice. I rarely encounter unintelligible street name pronunciations, and the few I have, I would have gotten wrong too anyway... but I can definitely see that being a regional thing.
    10-29-2014 12:01 PM
    Try Waze. It's vastly superior to Google Maps for navigation. Google paid close to a billion -- yes, billion -- dollars for it a little over a year ago. The female navigation voice is so much better. I haven't tried the male navigation voice. There are other, very weird navigation voices available, too. You want Elvis? You got him. How about Terry Crews? Him, too.
    Totally agree! However the one feature that GMaps has that Waze doesn't is to set for Walking directions! I live in a city where I often take public transit in to town and I have to switch to GMaps to get walking directions to where I am. But for driving...Waze is awesome! And the strange thing is...it's a Google product! Wish they'd integrate the 2!
    10-29-2014 01:11 PM
    I think it really depends on your area. I tried Waze, and it kept trying to send me down alleys... alleys in Boston tend to involve steep inclines at the entrance and exit to the main streets, which is a really bad thing when you have a car with a low ground clearance combined with a long wheelbase. I've found that Google Maps with Ivona TTS works better for me.

But Android is all about options, so I suggest trying both and using the one that works best for you.
    iOSConvert2k14 likes this.
    10-29-2014 01:25 PM

I tried Ivona as well and it does seem to work. Thanks.
    11-03-2014 02:02 PM
    You can go to settings->App Manager-> All-> google-text-to-speech and disable it. It asked me if I wanted to restore factory voice and I said 'OK'. So now the Samsung TTS is being used. Apparently once you've done that you can reinstall 'google-text-speech', if you need to. A but weird to need to do this given you've selected Samsung elsewhere, but this does work.
    12-03-2014 08:28 PM
    I got the Google Now voice to change to the high quality British voice I downloaded/selected, but it doesn't change during navigation for some reason.
    12-03-2014 09:10 PM
    had no trouble changing it but i prefer to shut the voice off all together. i find it very annoying.

if waze had the ability to use the google maps "Stars" or places you input, id only use waze
    12-04-2014 06:10 AM
    I'm having the same problem, but it's more widespread than just Google Maps & Nav. It started when my Note 4 was reading all my calendar alerts out loud in an obnoxious, tinny female voice. It took a lot of digging, but I finally found where to disable that, but while I was mucking about in the TTS settings, I started playing with the various voice options. I have downloaded high quality voice files for both the Google and Samsung TTS engines, and made every possible adjustment to set them as default, but I have yet to see a single app on this platform actually respect the defaults I specify.

I know the HQ voice I downloaded is set correctly, because I set the system language to English (UK), installed the English (UK) male and female voice files, and when I set one, the TTS settings page tells me the language I chose is "fully supported", and the playback sample confirms it is applied correctly.

Still, Google Now, Navigation, and the Calendar app insist on using their own low quality defaults, no matter how many times I reset their data, wipe the caches, or reboot the device. As a final straw, I uninstalled all the Samsung TTS updates and HQ voice files, force-stopped, and disabled the engine in the app manager, and the calendar alerts STILL use the Samsung default. How the holy EFF is that even possible???

This is entirely too much brain damage for such a simple feature. If there is an entire settings sub-menu dedicated to assigning a default TTS engine, then every flippin' app that offers TTS output had better flippin' USE IT!
    04-09-2015 09:24 AM
    I tried Ivona as well and it does seem to work. Thanks.
    I downloaded IVONA but still hear the same old voice in maps navigation. Is there anything you did after downloading IVONA to get it to work with maps?

Has anyone on their note 4 successfully managed to get street names to be read when using navigation in google maps?
    04-13-2015 11:20 AM
37 12