S Pen Loose in phone ?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
My S Pen if you push it from left to right while inserted in the phone makes a small clicking noise.
Kind of like it's a little loose In the phone. Is anyone else's like this?
It took me a few days to track down this noise.

rwix713

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
My s pen moves ever so lightly..but let me ask you this cause I still haven't received an answer....does your volume buttons wiggle a little?

Posted via the Android Central App

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
My S Pen if you push it from left to right while inserted in the phone makes a small clicking noise.
Kind of like it's a little loose In the phone. Is anyone else's like this?
It took me a few days to track down this noise.

Mine seems pretty tight (Sprint version). What carrier is yours? I wonder if that makes a difference, as there's at least one change with the mic locations on at least one version (AT&T iirc).

mgm83

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I've got t-mobile... I'm tight all around.. I heard att has been a little loose.

lukeman3000

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine is the same way OP. If I tap it with my thumb or finger it makes a slight clicking nose as it moves ever so slightly back and forth in the housing.

What's really annoying is the hum that it makes when my phone vibrates. When I remove the stylus, it fixes the problem.

Or, if I flip the stylus around so that "Samsung" points to the back of the phone, the fit is slightly tighter and it doesn't move around. It's annoying.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
From the "Where was your phone manufactured" thread, it looks like certain carrier's phones were made in different countries. Sprint's is Vietnam. AT&T is Korea.. I wonder if its something with the Korean manufacturing plant.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the verizon note 4 and the pen is tight as all hell. No issues with a loose pen here.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So earlier today I got curious about what the stylus looks like under magnification so stuck the thing under the stereo microscope. Here is what it looks like at about 10X. Don't know if it will help you but noticed a couple groves along the edges toward the tip. Must be where a couple of spring-loaded clips hold the thing in. The clicking must be the little clips popping in and out as you wiggle the thing. If you were to wrap a tiny bit of tape around the shaft of the stylus it may reduce the rattling and clicking. Some trial and error on tape placement and finding an attractive tape you like on your magic wand is also in order. BTW there is another set of side groves on the chromed end. Shot with my Note 4 through the eyepiece of my stereo microscope. (maybe just a thin layer of clear fingernail polish would work)

20141029_202539[1].jpg

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed my phone had the same issue before reading this thread as well. I'm on tmobile. Don't really care though as long as it doesn't fall out

0live_0il

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've got ATT and have the same issue. Seems like a minor gripe at first, but when the rest of the phone quality seems so solid, it's slightly annoying.

mbabee

May 17, 2014
Visit site
AT&T here. No issues with my S Pen jiggling around, slightly or at all. No sounds whatsoever.

Also, volume buttons are tight as well :)

rocco421

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue and its very annoying. I went back to AT&T and they pulled out 4 of them and they all had the issue - black and white versions. I guess it was just a bad batch. By the time they get a better batch my 14 day swap out period will be over. Very annoying considering the cost of the phone. Has anyone figured out whether its an s-pen issue or an issue with the slot?

backupcan

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I too had the same problem. One day i dropped my phone and it hit the edge of the dresser & dislodged the pen only half way out befire it hit the floor and broke the pen in half at the S-pen button. The pen still worked though, so i put a piece of scotch tape about 2" long vertically up the pen to keep it together until i got a new one. I carefully wrapped the piece of tape centering it over the pen button and the 1/2 wide tape went around the pen 1 layer thick almost perfect. Low and behold the pen works perfectly and it always stays in without any issues ! .... Hope you try it : )