09-06-2015 07:45 AM
53 123
tools
    More that I think about it. I think my cat bit my phone while I was sleeping. He was chewing on my fitbit while I was sleeping.
    10-30-2014 11:51 PM
    Be safe and put a case on it... don't have a case then don't complain if it gets scratched up
    10-31-2014 12:01 AM
    I believe you are correct. My black Note 4 has no issues and I don't use a case. In looking at the black finish on the metal frame, to me it looks more like anodizing or powder coating than "paint".
    Actually, the black or white area of the frame is a mat finished plastic. That's why nobody will ever reported any color chipping off, even though it could scratch. The only metal in the frame are the two thin pieces of aluminum that are laminated onto the colored plastic frame edges. Being polished and softer than plastic, any scratches appearing on these thin aluminum strips will be easy to see.

If you doubt what I am saying about the frame, just remove the S pen from its socket. You can then easily see the construction of the so called metal frame. Most of it is plastic, which isn't really a bad thing. It is less easily damaged and won't interfere with any adjacent antennas, like a solid metal frame might.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-31-2014 11:26 AM
    It's definitely not paint, and no, mine isn't chipping. But I expect it to pick up scuffs, or at the very least begin to show obvious signs of being handled daily.

Why do we as a culture obsess with irrelevant details?

I'm just as guilty, though. I drive a 10 year old car by choice, in part so that I don't obsess if I bump it into something or don't keep it washed.

I was an OCD obsessed moron about my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee that we purchased new--until it got the first scratch on it (which happened when I was driving, go figure).
    10-31-2014 11:33 AM
    Actually, the black or white area of the frame is a mat finished plastic. That's why nobody will ever reported any color chipping off, even though it could scratch. The only metal in the frame are the two thin pieces of aluminum that are laminated onto the colored plastic frame edges. Being polished and softer than plastic, any scratches appearing on these thin aluminum strips will be easy to see.

If you doubt what I am saying about the frame, just remove the S pen from its socket. You can then easily see the construction of the so called metal frame. Most of it is plastic, which isn't really a bad thing. It is less easily damaged and won't interfere with any adjacent antennas, like a solid metal frame might.

I believe you are mistaken. As can be seen in these two images there is in fact a metal chassis in the Note 4 and it is the edges of this chassis that is the metal around the sides of the phone of which the center portion of the metal side is color coated in some manner. What I believe you are describing in the S pen opening is a plastic insert mounted to the metal chassis.
    https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.6...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0
    https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.60...7&rs=1&pid=1.7
    10-31-2014 02:32 PM
    I believe you are mistaken. As can be seen in these two images there is in fact a metal chassis in the Note 4 and it is the edges of this chassis that is the metal around the sides of the phone of which the center portion of the metal side is color coated in some manner. What I believe you are describing in the S pen opening is a plastic insert mounted to the metal chassis.
    https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.6...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0
    https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.60...7&rs=1&pid=1.7
    Those pictures are not clear enough to see what the materials are.Take the back of the phone off or look at the S pen socket. You can clearly see the seam of the aluminum layer on top of the plastic on the side of the phone. That to me is convincing. Furthermore, many people have reported damage to the aluminum strips, while there has been no reported damage to the colored portion. Even a coated aluminum pan will scratch so color will come off. The reason nobody is damaging the colored portion of the sides is because it is plastic colored through and through.

10-31-2014 03:03 PM
    Kick your stupid cat out
    larsonage likes this.
    10-31-2014 03:04 PM
    Kick your stupid cat out
    Amen, brother.
    larsonage likes this.
    10-31-2014 03:14 PM
    Kick your stupid cat out
    Reported for animal abuse
    ashifpa and larsonage like this.
    10-31-2014 05:13 PM
    I have a white Note 4 which is 3 days old and I just found a chip in the paint below the earphone jack. Taking it to the retailer today still.
    11-08-2014 02:43 AM
    The bezel is solid aluminum from top to bottom. It's one piece and has some sort of coating in the middle / top and bottom, where it isn't polished aluminum. It's not layered aluminum with plastic...
    11-08-2014 03:11 AM
    4 days old and using an S-view case... One drop and it landed at just the right angle to dent the metel edge and bezel. I was so bummed i put it back in a spigen case to protect all the edges till i get back home from my vacation.
    01-04-2015 09:33 PM
    Two small chips on each side.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-07-2015 04:44 PM
    Yes, mine chipped on the bottom left corner only 2 weeks after buying it. I was extremely careful, never dropped it. But lo and behold, a big chip of paint just came off. I was planning to go caseless, but I couldn't bare looking at it anymore so I just got a case and it covers it up nicely.
    01-07-2015 05:42 PM
    Purchased the phone like a week after it came out. Never used a case. Not a single chip on mine anywhere. Some almost microscopic scratches along the exposed metal but certainly nothing extraordinary or even noticeable unless you're inspecting the phone.
    01-07-2015 05:54 PM
    Be safe and put a case on it... don't have a case then don't complain if it gets scratched up
    I actually put a case on since day 1 and recently when I took it off to put a new screen protector on, I see that there are scratches along the aluminum. Not surprised being I've read this is a common issue with the Note 4. Whatever.
    01-08-2015 12:08 PM
    Most in here are buying the n6 in two years time, lets not stress over the small things.
    01-09-2015 11:39 AM
    no paint chip on mine white Note 4 however i do noticed the metal strip get's scratched easily because of the case
    01-09-2015 12:49 PM
    No case for my Note 4 in the two months or so I've owned. No scratches either; it has held up very well.

01-09-2015 02:09 PM
    Those pictures are not clear enough to see what the materials are.Take the back of the phone off or look at the S pen socket. You can clearly see the seam of the aluminum layer on top of the plastic on the side of the phone. That to me is convincing. Furthermore, many people have reported damage to the aluminum strips, while there has been no reported damage to the colored portion. Even a coated aluminum pan will scratch so color will come off. The reason nobody is damaging the colored portion of the sides is because it is plastic colored through and through.

Take yours apart and show us proof of your claims.
    01-09-2015 05:39 PM
    Paint falling off on my camera lins. The phone is about 3 weeks old. I use Samsung protective cover all the time. Anyone else have this problem?

Attached Thumbnails Black Note 4 Owners - Metal Bezel paint chipping?-received_10204443102023259.jpg  
    06-14-2015 01:52 PM
    Purchased the phone like a week after it came out. Never used a case. Not a single chip on mine anywhere.
    Same for me. Never used a case from day one. No paint chipping.
    06-15-2015 12:31 AM
    I have noticed the paint chipping by the headphone jack and charge port

06-24-2015 12:07 PM
    I have a Note 4 with paint chipping off . I have taken it back to Car phone and they wouldn't do anything as its a manufactures fault. I have called Samsung and their engineers need to examine before they can comment. It doesn't necessary mean i will get a new phone they might put it to wear and tear. Considering I have only had the phone since May 2015 its pretty disgusting and its not only me with this problem, there are other people having the same issue but Samsung will not to take responsibility and help. I never will buy a Samsung again.

Michael.
    09-04-2015 11:36 AM
    I'm on my second Note 4 (by choice, not defect) and have not had any paint chipping issues. The chamfered edge scratches easily but I expect that and it doesn't bother me. It's just light scratches.

Sent from my Note 4
    09-04-2015 11:56 AM
53 123