I got my first call on the Note 4 today. The other person was in a car, on a bluetooth headset. We're both on Verizon. He couldn't hear me at all. I had to call him back on my land line. Later I called my FIOS voice mail and left myself a message to test the microphone. The voice was there, but quiet and muffled.

Does it sound like I have a bad microphone in the Note 4? Or are the rest of you having similar issues?
    10-28-2014 11:52 PM
    I had an hour long phone call with my parents after they returned from China, part was on the phone and part was on speaker. Speaker was very loud and clear. The phone call sounded good from what I can tell. Mom also called me today in a very low reception area and I heard her clear as a bell. I assume she heard me too because she didn't say anything.

Hope this helps.

If in doubt, return or replace the unit imo.
    10-29-2014 12:02 AM
    My call quality has been great. Clear and loud.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-29-2014 07:47 AM
    I got my first call on the Note 4 today. The other person was in a car, on a bluetooth headset. We're both on Verizon. He couldn't hear me at all. I had to call him back on my land line. Later I called my FIOS voice mail and left myself a message to test the microphone. The voice was there, but quiet and muffled.

Does it sound like I have a bad microphone in the Note 4? Or are the rest of you having similar issues?
    Do you have a protective case on the phone? There have been issues reported in these forums with cases because of the microphone placement, specifically on Verizon handsets. The cutout on the protective case does not align correctly and covers the microphone on Verizon handsets. The person on the call may have difficulty hearing you, or not be able to hear you at all.

Posted via the Android Central App on my awesome Note 4
    10-29-2014 08:53 AM
    T-Mobile here. All my calls have been just fine or super clear (HD when calling it her T-Mobile people). This is on speaker or just holding it like normal.
    10-29-2014 09:15 AM
    Do you have a protective case on the phone? There have been issues reported in these forums with cases because of the microphone placement, specifically on Verizon handsets. The cutout on the protective case does not align correctly and covers the microphone on Verizon handsets. The person on the call may have difficulty hearing you, or not be able to hear you at all.

Posted via the Android Central App on my awesome Note 4
    Bingo! I tested the phone today with and without the case - a Spigen Neo Hybrid. Without the case, it was clear. With the case, it was muffled. I checked the case, and it was covering the microphone hole. BTW, the one on the left as you face the phone is the mic. The one on the right is a dummy hole.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    10-29-2014 09:49 AM
    Bingo! I tested the phone today with and without the case - a Spigen Neo Hybrid. Without the case, it was clear. With the case, it was muffled. I checked the case, and it was covering the microphone hole. BTW, the one on the left as you face the phone is the mic. The one on the right is a dummy hole.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Yeah Verizon has the mic in a different spot and Spigen cases weren't designed for this. I believe there was another thread about that in this area -- not sure whose fault it is.
    10-29-2014 10:37 AM
    Verizon here....my calls are fantastic...even in our house with a metal roof.... with my Note 2,although it had excellent reception, it would drop calls if in the house, I have yet to drop a call anywhere with my Note 4....
    10-29-2014 10:34 PM
    Call quality has two parts for me -
    The radio strength
    The overall sound quality of the phone itself on speaker phone, against your ear or on a headset

Radio strength seems good, sound quality (on calls) is NOT very good. It is less intelligible than the 2014 Moto X I got the day after. Have them both here, have been doing testing. I'm on Verizon in the San Francisco East Bay area. The Moto X sounds miles better in terms of sound, but the radio strength on both phones is about the same.
    10-29-2014 11:38 PM
    I am noticing a lot of people with bad quality are on Verizon -- I left T-Mobile a few months ago to try out Verizon and I left within my 14 day trial and returned back to T-Mobile for that very same reason -- Call quality was horrible. I had an M8 at the time and the gf had the S5 ... Both of us hated it.
    10-30-2014 08:30 AM
    I'm on T Mobile as well and my call quality has been exceptional!

Posted From MY Next Big Thing!!
    12-21-2014 03:44 PM
    Verizon here with excellent call quality.
    12-21-2014 03:53 PM
    I'm on verizon, have a spiegon capsule case. Call quality has been great, one of the best phones I've used. Speakerphone is loud and clear and I don't have people tell me they have problems hearing me. I had 3 different note 3's and had to finally give it up I always had call quality issues on the 3.
    12-21-2014 06:13 PM