Can an S pen be used as a mouse? Right clicking etc

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I know this is probably a silly question but I've never used an S pen or any stylus before. Phone is on order and waiting patiently. But tinkering with it at the store, I thought it was great especially for viewing websites in desktop mode as you can easily browse especially when things are smaller.

Can the pen be used like a mouse though? Obviously it can click, but can it perform other actions such as a right click? Or hover over a menu in a webpage without clicking it? For example, when you hover over the Forums at the top of this website it displays the other options via dropdown. Thanks!

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It can be used in several ways similar to a mouse. It won't perform all functions but it does for instance display the submenus in the header that you mentioned and there are places where you can hover and choose options by clicking the pen button, and you can use it to highlight text like a mouse being dragged with the button clicked, etc.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
on the topic of highlighted text, in some Samsung N4 videos they show that you can highlight separate text (non-continuous), has anyone figured how to do that? i.e. I know that you can highlight a paragraph but can you highlight a paragraph, skip a few lines and highlight a second paragraph, thus having two sections highlighted, with a break in the middle (using the S-pen)?

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
One of the things I don't like is that when using the s pen AND the keyboard, selecting letters on the keyboard doesn't work. I get multiples of letters and just garbage. One would think that the tip of the pen could be used for keyboard selection when the pen is out and being used?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
One of the things I don't like is that when using the s pen AND the keyboard, selecting letters on the keyboard doesn't work. I get multiples of letters and just garbage. One would think that the tip of the pen could be used for keyboard selection when the pen is out and being used?

I have never had this issue with the Note 3 or Note 4. I almost always use the S pen to type.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Watch this video on youtube: /watch?v=pUy5Z7cFqZ4. You'll find the answer to your question at 15:40

I'm unable to highlight multiple sections of text as shown in this video. I hold the S Pen button down as shown.

I don't see any S Pen settings for enabling this. What am I missing?

UPDATE - I could get this to work in the default Web browser (as shown in the video) but not in Chrome or another app. Is this only possible in the default browser?

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem I continue to have with using the s pen for keyboard entry, is that I am using the google swype keyboard and not the stock keyboard. With the stock keyboard there is no problem with multiple letter entry, but with the google keyboard, there is.

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just a follow up.. I think this issue that I was having (s pen jumpy when/if google keyboard selected) has been fixed in either a samsung update of a google keyboard update. It is no longer jumpy when using the s pen to select the keyboard keys.