So I'm used to 4:3 ratio on my phones, but the note 4 seems to have a maximum 16mp resolution as a wide screen 16:9 ratio.

when you switch to "12 mp" mode, all it does is cuts off the sides. thing is, on wide 16mp mode, you'll begin to notice fuzziness and blurriness on the sides, as if the further to the left and right you go, the more the picture degrades, which I remember seeing somewhere about the s5 because the s5 did this too.

therefore I've been shooting in 12mp mode for a 4:3 ratio, which again is exactly the same just with the sides cut off. therefore, yes ya don't get a wide screen picture, but you also don't get the sides looking crappy due to the degradation of the image.

so what do you all shoot in? or have you never really noticed the sides being an issue? I noticed it immediately on my s5 and saw it was there on the note.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
    10-29-2014 12:39 PM
    I just use the lowest 16:9 available. I believe it's 6MP for this phone. I don't need to see the inside of the nose of my subjects in the picture, so 6MP is plenty good for me. Heck, 3MP is enough for me since I'm not printing these on posters, but the lowest one since the S4 has been 6MP now.
    10-29-2014 12:54 PM
    For the general consumer, more megapixels always mean better, but if the sensor size doesn't increase appropriately with the increase in megapixels you'll start to notice fuzziness at the edges.

For most people this isn't such a huge issue, but if it is for you then the 12 megapixel mode should be pretty good.

Honestly anything 8 MP and above is perfect for the web, printing and even viewing back on a 4K monitor or screen. So I don't think you'll miss out on much using the 12 MP mode.

Personally I've always used 4:3 because it allows my device(Nexus 5) to shoot at the maximum 8 megapixel mode, I also find it much easier to frame my shots in 4:3 and I've heard that 4:3 is better for printing images(which is something I might do in the future).

4:3 is where is is at. 😎
    jayochs likes this.
    10-29-2014 01:37 PM
    I always shoot in the highest resolution on everything I own unless it somehow takes away from something. So it is a few extra megabytes, who cares, megabytes are a dime a dozen so to speak. For images, the best is always the best in my opinion. You can always crop or reduce resolution for what ever application but you can never increase those. Similar for exposure, if you over expose it is done for, blown out and you can't get it back. A little under exposure can be lightened.
    10-29-2014 03:56 PM
    Yeah, but 6MP VS 16MP means almost three times the file size per picture. And that means a 32GB phone will fill up quite quickly (I don't trust SD cards for my pictures anymore, especially with Samsung phones).

Even if you upload to Cloud storage, that means you use up your allotted space three times as fast, and if you use Google+ unlimited option, it's still going to reduce your pictures to 3MP anyway...
    10-29-2014 05:14 PM
    16mp. I prefer the largest size plus you can get the most image. You can always crop or resize later

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    10-29-2014 06:39 PM
    so none of you are noticing the fuzziness on the edges for the 16:9 16mp widescreen? that's my main reason for just ditching that and using 4:3..that way, i don't accidentially frame something into the edges and cause what i'm shooting to have a blurry left/right. for example, my car.
    10-29-2014 06:45 PM
    so none of you are noticing the fuzziness on the edges for the 16:9 16mp widescreen? that's my main reason for just ditching that and using 4:3..that way, i don't accidentially frame something into the edges and cause what i'm shooting to have a blurry left/right. for example, my car.
    I use the 16mp setting and just checked some of the pictures that I've taken, not seeing any blurriness along the edges like you describe. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to it or it's not there, I don't know, but they seem fine to me. Not doubting what you're experincing or anything but I don't seem to have that issue at least that I can tell.
    jayochs likes this.
    10-29-2014 06:51 PM
    Maybe a sample picture of what you are seeing would help? I don't see any blurriness in mine when shooting at 16MP either.
    10-29-2014 07:03 PM
    In low light maybe but daytime no way

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-29-2014 07:11 PM
    I'm used to shooting in raw on my dslr, so 16mp jpgs are pretty small to me. As for fuzziness at the edges, it's most likely the lens. Most lenses are sharp in the center, and soft in the corners. The cheaper the lens, the more you see this. The better the lens, the less you see it. Usually only the most expensive lenses are sharp throughout. The better the sensor, the more you'll notice little things like that. Another possibility, especially if you have a case, is you may be seeing vignetting.
    jayochs likes this.
    10-29-2014 07:39 PM
    It depends. I leave the 16MP on by default, but sometimes 16:9 is a bit too wide, so I switch temporarily to the 12 MP 4:3.
    10-29-2014 07:42 PM
    I'm used to shooting in raw on my dslr, so 16mp jpgs are pretty small to me. As for fuzziness at the edges, it's most likely the lens. Most lenses are sharp in the center, and soft in the corners. The cheaper the lens, the more you see this. The better the lens, the less you see it. Usually only the most expensive lenses are sharp throughout. The better the sensor, the more you'll notice little things like that. Another possibility, especially if you have a case, is you may be seeing vignetting.
    this is exactly what I read about the gs5 when it came out, since that was samsungs first wide angle default lens. I had the issue there. it's not super noticeable, i just notice little things lol. exactly like you said, the center of the lens is much more sharp than the edges... so i cut the edges off.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
    10-30-2014 06:38 AM
    Can you post an example highlighting the blurriness? Now I'm intrigued haha
    10-30-2014 11:57 AM