There isn't a root thread for the note 4 yet so I'll just post this here. So you can download supersu through the play store but what does that do if you don't root the phone? Will it just not work? Can you just delete it? On the page for it it says you need to uninstall it specially. Also do those root checker apps mess up any warranty things? Can you return a rooted phone if you are still within your return window? This is my first android phone its a note 4 I've had iPhones forever but I thought about rooting this one to see the possiblities I really miss I message though so I'm probably going to return this either way so will best buy take it back if I do root it?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-29-2014 03:19 PM
    The only root available is for the T-Mobile Note 4.

Downloading superSU won't do anything since it requires root access to work.
    10-29-2014 03:34 PM
    The odds are good that those people at Best Buy either won't know how to check or won't care if the phone is rooted. It'd be up to Samsung to hang it back on them.

But since any root attempt right now will likely result in a brick, it's a moot question.
    10-29-2014 03:43 PM
    'm probably going to return this either way so will best buy take it back if I do root it?

Its perfectly legal to root your phone. So neither best buy or anyone else can penalize you for rooting. It only comes into play if you were to brick your divice via rooting, then they could refuse to fix or replace it.
    10-29-2014 05:01 PM
    I thought towel root was quick and safe for att note 4 s

10-29-2014 05:31 PM
    Its perfectly legal to root your phone. So neither best buy or anyone else can penalize you for rooting. It only comes into play if you were to brick your divice via rooting, then they could refuse to fix or replace it.
    It is quite "legal" to root your device. Whether or not it voids the warranty is another issue altogether. Most developers will tell you up front that you've voided the warranty by rooting the device or installing their custom ROMs.
    10-29-2014 05:52 PM
    They can penalize by no longer producing warranty support... But that's about it.
    10-29-2014 05:54 PM
    I thought towel root was quick and safe for att note 4 s

Towelroot? Haven't heard about that. Chainfire has cooked up another root method. Looks like right now only Verizon is not supported.
    10-29-2014 06:04 PM
    It works for S5s so im assuming itll work for the note 4.
    10-29-2014 06:48 PM
    It works for S5s so im assuming itll work for the note 4.
    They're different phones... I wouldn't just assume anything when it comes to rooting and ROMs.
    10-29-2014 06:51 PM
    It is quite "legal" to root your device. Whether or not it voids the warranty is another issue altogether. Most developers will tell you up front that you've voided the warranty by rooting the device or installing their custom ROMs.
    As to warranty, its not an issue. You do void the warranty by rooting. But warranty only deals with replacement or repair of defective equipment. So if your careful and don't brick or disable your phone via rooting, then voiding the warranty is no big deal.
    10-29-2014 07:27 PM
    As to warranty, its not an issue. You do void the warranty by rooting. But warranty only deals with replacement or repair of defective equipment. So if your careful and don't brick or disable your phone via rooting, then voiding the warranty is no big deal.
    I wouldnt have to worry about that. Got the $10 insurance per month if something breaks or gets water damaged. Brand new phone for $150 deductible.
    10-29-2014 07:31 PM
    To the OP, you didn't say which model you have, but if you bought it at Best Buy, the only model they sell there that can currently be rooted is Sprint. So if you have ATT or Verizon you don't even have a choice.

Even if you do have Sprint, you said you are most likely returning it within 2 weeks, so I would suggest staying away from rooting then. Since you aren't familiar with rooting from what you've said here, you really need to learn quite a bit before doing it in order not to cause yourself a bunch of headaches. I know people who don't know what they are doing root all the time, but that doesn't mean you should follow their bad example.

No reason to waste your time learning what you should learn before you root if you're just going to return it.
    lazerproof likes this.
    10-29-2014 07:47 PM
    To the OP, you didn't say which model you have, but if you bought it at Best Buy, the only model they sell there that can currently be rooted is Sprint. So if you have ATT or Verizon you don't even have a choice.

Even if you do have Sprint, you said you are most likely returning it within 2 weeks, so I would suggest staying away from rooting then. Since you aren't familiar with rooting from what you've said here, you really need to learn quite a bit before doing it in order not to cause yourself a bunch of headaches. I know people who don't know what they are doing root all the time, but that doesn't mean you should follow their bad example.

No reason to waste your time learning what you should learn before you root if you're just going to return it.
    Well I'm just going off of a video I saw on YouTube. This guy was using an S5 went to towel root got the apk allowed unknown sources installed it in one click and that was it.

10-29-2014 08:12 PM
    Well I'm just going off of a video I saw on YouTube. This guy was using an S5 went to towel root got the apk allowed unknown sources installed it in one click and that was it.

And that won't work on a Note 4. Besides that, anyone who knows about root would tell you that anyone who doesn't know how to root their phone manually and all that root entails should never use a push button app to do so.

I would really suggest you just use the phone as is for the 2 weeks and only if you decide to keep it then think about rooting.
    M3Stang likes this.
    10-29-2014 08:15 PM
    And that won't work on a Note 4. Besides that, anyone who knows about root would tell you that anyone who doesn't know how to root their phone manually and all that root entails should never use a push button app to do so.

I would really suggest you just use the phone as is for the 2 weeks and only if you decide to keep it then think about rooting.
    Will do.I thought the for the most part the S5 and the note 4 were very similar internally. My mistake. Thanks for the replies.
    10-29-2014 09:23 PM
    Note 4 is easy to root with Chain fire auto root. It's only available for sprint and Tmobile right now though. All you do is download it and install it via Odin. Voila you're rooted. Its a 5 minute process.
    10-30-2014 12:46 AM
    Will do.I thought the for the most part the S5 and the note 4 were very similar internally. My mistake. Thanks for the replies.
    That's the problem with newbie rooters. They assume too much and then get into trouble. As stated, thoroughly read up on rooting before attempting it.
    rong21 likes this.
    10-30-2014 01:18 AM
    That's the problem with newbie rooters. They assume too much and then get into trouble. As stated, thoroughly read up on rooting before attempting it.
    What would towel root have done? Brick the phone?

10-30-2014 11:34 AM
    What would towel root have done? Brick the phone?

Most likely, but I'm sure it would be fixable by using odin and stock image. Towel root only works on android 4.4.2 and with kernels made before June. Also, the guy who made towel root now works for Google and the expliot he used has been patched. Forget about towel root. All there is now is cf auto root and that only works on tmobile and Sprint models. Will likely stay that way for months.

10-30-2014 12:16 PM
    Deleted - Started new thread.
    02-20-2015 08:46 AM