12-15-2014 09:40 AM
103 1234 ...
tools
    I switched to nova prime and it helped a lot. But something bothers me about not using the native launcher.

I tried the 2x animation it does help. But why should I do have to do that. It should come optimized out of the box

Posted via the Android Central App
    I turned my animations down to .5 which made it snappier but still it felt slow cause the app has to load.. but if you do put it to 2.. it's much more fluid

10-29-2014 11:10 PM
    Does not look great in the sun!
    10-29-2014 11:25 PM
    I was really anxious waiting for the Note 4. I do really enjoy using the device and I love the functionality.

I am concerned with performance though. It does seem to stutter quite a bit. Especially with the native Camera app and muti-tasking feature. Even swiping through windows upon wake-up lags a bit. For the record i am being melodramatic. But it does irk me, it really takes a way from the user experience, which to me is held above all else.

I've been a long time fan of the Note series but I cant help being a little bummed out especially coming from the HTC One M8, which seriously performs better than the Note 4.

It has me thinking, are all of the features worth the good (as opposed to EXCELLENT) user experience. Maybe an M8, moto x, or the new turbo would please my inner ocd more.

The Note 4 is a fantastic device and there's a good chance i will stick by its side (for a couple months ) I just want my device to be SNAPPY
    I am in the same boat as you. Thought of selling it or returning it but it's too much hassle. And wanted the nexus 6 but that preorder sold out like crazy

Either way I guess I'll stick it out with the note 4 for a while longer. Hopefully someone gets a root soon for the AT&T version!

I did turn down the animation and it does feel a bit faster. I tried turning off animation completely and it was very fast, but I want a little animation!
    Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk
    10-29-2014 11:52 PM
    My only disappointment is that I can't reach the back button with my thumb when I'm holding the phone with my left hand. I can ALMOST use the thing completely one handed except for that.
    The difference b/w this phone and smaller ones with one hand is that I don't cradle the bottom with my pinky. All fingers are on the back. And that's OK. Just wish my thumb could hit that back button!
    I've used the one-handed feature, but who wants that? I wanna see the phone in its full glory.

Use the side panel. I'm right handed but I primarily use the phone left handed and have trouble reaching the back button as well so I use side panel quite often.
    10-30-2014 01:46 AM
    How do you manipulate animations on the GN4? Where is that located on the phone?
    10-30-2014 02:04 AM
    I don't notice any lag at all on my device. Of course, coming from the terribly lag friendly G3, any device is a drastic improvement. My Evo 4g phone from 2010 could probably STILL run smoother and faster than the G3

10-30-2014 03:13 AM
    I love cases, but this issue with the Verizon Note 4 is killing me.
    10-30-2014 03:23 AM
    Love the Note 4 but my disappointments are the sound (came from the HTC M8), Touchwiz's lack of customization (hence using Nova), and the inaccurate pedometer.
    10-30-2014 03:33 AM
    I am in the same boat as you. Thought of selling it or returning it but it's too much hassle. And wanted the nexus 6 but that preorder sold out like crazy

Either way I guess I'll stick it out with the note 4 for a while longer. Hopefully someone gets a root soon for the AT&T version!

I did turn down the animation and it does feel a bit faster. I tried turning off animation completely and it was very fast, but I want a little animation!
    Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk
    Another thing to do to speed up things is change the runtime from Dalvik to ART. Should improve battery life as well.
    10-30-2014 03:43 AM
    I had some lag for the first couple of days, but it disappeared spontaneously. Maybe something had been going on in the background at first.

My chief disappointment is that 4k-resolution videos are limited to five minutes' duration.
    10-30-2014 06:30 AM
    I switched to nova prime and it helped a lot. But something bothers me about not using the native launcher.

I tried the 2x animation it does help. But why should I do have to do that. It should come optimized out of the box
    Yeah, it should, but bear in mind what bothers you or me isn't even on the radar of most users. I really don't mind "having to" use Nova. Except for the ability to pin Action Notes to the homescreen, and the screen hogging clock and weather widget, I don't lose anything from TW.
    10-30-2014 06:51 AM

Thing is, TouchWiz really isn't the 'native' Android launcher. It's a custom launcher Samsung plops on their stuff. I wish we *could* just use the native launcher and then go from there if we *wanted* to add a new launcher, instead of having TouchWiz forced on the system and having to bypass it.
    10-30-2014 07:27 AM
    I guess I am very fortunate. I don't have any of the lag I am reading about. My phone is fast and fluid. I haven't adjusted anything and for the first time I prefer TW to Nova Prime. I have absolutely zero complaints. I have read threads on here saying that the camera is not as good in low light as the Iphone6 so I tested it against my girlfriends daughters I6 and the picture on my note was MUCH better. Hers was very dark and dull. I have used about every phone on the market today and I have to say without a shadow of a doubt, this is the best phone available today. The M8 is close but the camera on it is garbage
    monsieurms and LaTuFu like this.
    10-30-2014 08:33 AM
    I never understood why people whine about TW. I started reading about lag, and panicked. Couldn't find some of these settings mentioned and then realized Nova was the first thing I put on. Granted I've had it a day, But in putting back on my 100 plus apps and sett8ng things up (because Helium truly sucks... Sorry clockwork, but it does), it's been much faster than my S4 with installing and restoring and setting up. As I transition into normal use, it's still impressing. Now I just have to get used to the bigger phone again having gone back to the S series after my Note 2.
    10-30-2014 08:35 AM
    I guess I am very fortunate. I don't have any of the lag I am reading about. My phone is fast and fluid. I haven't adjusted anything and for the first time I prefer TW to Nova Prime. I have absolutely zero complaints. I have read threads on here saying that the camera is not as good in low light as the Iphone6 so I tested it against my girlfriends daughters I6 and the picture on my note was MUCH better. Hers was very dark and dull. I have used about every phone on the market today and I have to say without a shadow of a doubt, this is the best phone available today. The M8 is close but the camera on it is garbage
    I am the same way -- and honestly I haven't installed Nova yet either. I have just left the stock launcher there, set it up, and enjoying the phone .
    bassplayrguy and monsieurms like this.
    10-30-2014 08:36 AM
    Hey, I don't want to hear this! I just took my iphone 6+ back and my Note 4 will be here Friday lol.
    Relax, if you had made the other choice, then you would have reason to worry.. The Note 4 is the baddest kid on the block. Period!!
    10-30-2014 08:45 AM
    Any modern smartphone will be light years faster than my iPhone 4 with iOS 7.

Looking forward to getting a Note 4 (unless we can't afford it, in which case it's a Moto G for me). I actually like TW, and I believe that I'll probably just put Nova Prime on it instead of going with CM, so I can keep things like Multi Window, S Pen and the awesome note taking stuff, which is the whole reason I want it over the Nexus 6.
    10-30-2014 11:55 AM
    I am sorry but these threads always make me shake my head in disbelief...
    People suggest that you Turn off this and that, disable this, disable that... its a 2014 flagship, if I have to turn things off to get a "usable" experience, its a piece of crap.
    Then the diehard samsung fans call the Lag a FEATURE.. W.T.F.?! are you so blindly in love with samsung that you will spin TouchWiz lag into a feature? Get Real...
    And then you have those who claim, MINE DON'T LAG.... yeah, right.... Amazingly, your Touchwiz (which IS the cause for the lag) is Magically different than everyone else's TouchWiz.... Grow up.
    I know people don't want to bash a phone they love, but damn this is ridiculous...

I have the 2014 Moto X. Great phone but guess what, the camera isn't great, and the battery life leaves a LOT to be desired.
    I love my moto x, but I can admit, it's not perfect, nor am I trying to spin that the bad camera and battery life are a FEATURE...
    SMH....(besides, it will get traded out for the Nexus 6 soon anyways )
    BBSeattle and JimSmith94 like this.
    10-30-2014 07:02 PM
    that is touchwiz for you. Samsung just throws the kitchen sink at the hardware, and it is poorly coded which is why with even the highest end hardware it lags. Hence why the nexus and turbo will blow it out of the water in day to day performance.
    10-30-2014 07:15 PM
    I have not experienced any lag so far on my Verizon Note 4. I'm using Nova Launcher. I've disabled S Voice but nothing else performance wise. Performance is smooth and fast coming from a GS4. I have a microSD card with over 2000 pictures. On my GS4, it takes a few seconds to generate the thumbnails when scrolling down but on the Note 4, it's near instantaneous. Very impressed with this phone.
    hdhuntr likes this.
    10-30-2014 07:43 PM
    My ONLY disappointment is that Original Note did not deliver one/one hundredth of the performance, feel in hand, display, features etc that this magnificent (that's right, i said it : ) does, and yet it doesn't seem to be creating the buzz it deserves.

Personally what others think about my phone doesn't affect my experience with it, but i still can't help but fail to understand how they change ONE design element of iphone (increase from 4 inches to 5.5) and that knocks the globe off its axis, and Sammy has achieved leaps & bounds with this particular iteration (as good as Note 3 was, this is LIGHT years ahead of IT) and it barely gets a "mention".... (except of course, from us owners, who "know a great thing when we see it" my whole youtube channel is practically devoted to it : )

BTC
    GalaxyOnyxWitch likes this.
    10-30-2014 07:53 PM
    My disappointment is the speaker location. I liked it on the bottom like the note 3. You have it sitting on your lap or chair sometimes the sound is muffled and quiet, hard to hear.
    10-30-2014 08:27 PM
    Count me as another user who isn't experiencing lag.

I disabled S-Voice and flip board after experiencing a little drag. As soon as I did that it has been smooth sailing.

I hated touchwiz on some previous devices I had. I'm genuinely surprised at how well it runs on the Note 4. I would like to be able to customize it a lot more like Nova allows, but I have no problem with the way it works otherwise.

I'm very pleased with the phone and I think it is definitely earning it's keep as the flagship.
    10-30-2014 08:44 PM
    that is touchwiz for you. Samsung just throws the kitchen sink at the hardware, and it is poorly coded which is why with even the highest end hardware it lags. Hence why the nexus and turbo will blow it out of the water in day to day performance.
    Nexus is a step backwards. Camera not as good, no expandable memory, no removable battery, big and bulky. I have no lag at all in my Note 4. Very fast and fluid. Camera is fantastic.
    tiarosi and LaTuFu like this.
    10-30-2014 09:13 PM
    Nexus is a step backwards. Camera not as good, no expandable memory, no removable battery, big and bulky. I have no lag at all in my Note 4. Very fast and fluid. Camera is fantastic.
    I don't need more than 32gb of storage, don't take my batteries out (turbo charger for now) camera yes is probably better. Other than that it's personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tiarosi likes this.
    10-30-2014 09:14 PM
103 1234 ...