12-15-2014 08:40 AM
103 12345
tools
    My disappointment is the speaker location. I liked it on the bottom like the note 3. You have it sitting on your lap or chair sometimes the sound is muffled and quiet, hard to hear.
    Easily solvable by getting a case with a kickstand.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-31-2014 03:04 AM
    Easily solvable by getting a case with a kickstand.

A flagship phone should not need a case to make something standard work. I don't use cases, never have and I don't want the bulk added to my phone. And besides I'm not always sitting where a kickstand could be used, I'm not just talking about watching a video, I'm talking about ringtones and notifications. I use the same ringtones that i used on the note 3, they get muffled on the note 4 due to speaker location. Imo the speaker on bottom of the phone was better.

I'll add that this issue is with any phone that the speaker is on back of phone. Just not a good location for the speaker.
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-31-2014 06:48 AM
    I upgraded from the S5 to the Note 4 on Verizon Wireless last week.

I know this is stupid... but I hate the alarm app.

When you set an alarm, it sounds off for about 40 seconds, then goes into an automatic snooze. It will sound off again, depending on if you set it to 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc, but, what genius in what universe decided an alarm clock needs to function this way? I had to install some other app from the play store. The Galaxy S5 had the same problem.

I havent noticed any lag problems yet. I am having trouble with getting my right thumb to reach across to the left side when holding it with one hand, but, hey, its a big phone, and I knew that going in, after trying it in the store about 15 times. I have a few apps set so they are smaller. I think I have them set for one-handed function.

I also dont love the new car mode app. The navigation button now takes you to a 2 screen option. I usually just want to see a map, I dont usually want to put in a destination. MAP is now on the 2nd screen, and now its more taps. Not too big of a deal, just more irritating because it was simpler and easier on my S5.

I also wish it had the cover for the USB port.
    10-31-2014 07:52 AM
    I upgraded from the S5 to the Note 4 on Verizon Wireless last week.

I know this is stupid... but I hate the alarm app.

When you set an alarm, it sounds off for about 40 seconds, then goes into an automatic snooze. It will sound off again, depending on if you set it to 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc, but, what genius in what universe decided an alarm clock needs to function this way? I had to install some other app from the play store. The Galaxy S5 had the same problem.

I havent noticed any lag problems yet. I am having trouble with getting my right thumb to reach across to the left side when holding it with one hand, but, hey, its a big phone, and I knew that going in, after trying it in the store about 15 times. I have a few apps set so they are smaller. I think I have them set for one-handed function.

I also dont love the new car mode app. The navigation button now takes you to a 2 screen option. I usually just want to see a map, I dont usually want to put in a destination. MAP is now on the 2nd screen, and now its more taps. Not too big of a deal, just more irritating because it was simpler and easier on my S5.

I also wish it had the cover for the USB port.
    Try a third party alarm app, I use gentle alarm but there are a bunch of them in the play store. Gentle alarm does not do that.
    10-31-2014 08:16 AM
    A flagship phone should not need a case to make something standard work. I don't use cases, never have and I don't want the bulk added to my phone. And besides I'm not always sitting where a kickstand could be used, I'm not just talking about watching a video, I'm talking about ringtones and notifications. I use the same ringtones that i used on the note 3, they get muffled on the note 4 due to speaker location. Imo the speaker on bottom of the phone was better.

I'll add that this issue is with any phone that the speaker is on back of phone. Just not a good location for the speaker.
    Speaker is in the same place as my s3 and s4. The placement has never seemed like a good idea, so I wonder why they haven't changed it yet.
    10-31-2014 08:24 AM
    Coming from the droid maxx, im having a hard time getting used to the speakers. both the call speaker and the back speaker. Calls are so flat and hollow it hurts my ears, and the back speaker sounds extremely hollow and tinny.. very little bass. it was so bad i dug out my old phone to listen to music. Im a little upset i bought a $700 phone that sounds like a child's toy phone, but the features are so nice (minus the lag) that i think i may just deal with it.
    10-31-2014 09:18 AM
    Speaker is in the same place as my s3 and s4. The placement has never seemed like a good idea, so I wonder why they haven't changed it yet.
    On the Note 3 they put it on the bottom ... but went back to the back of the phone with the Note 4 -- Maybe to slim it down? /shrug.
    10-31-2014 09:22 AM
    Use the side key panel... Settings | One-handed operation. I put the google search bar in the middle of my home screen and the side key panel to the left of that (so I know to swipe in from the left at exactly the hieght of the google search bar.. you can even hide it when not in use and you'll know where to swipe to call it up)
    10-31-2014 11:53 AM
    I'd stay away from ART until the Lillipop update (supposedly coming before Christmas). I switched to ART and had many issues (finally wiped it clean and started over).
    10-31-2014 12:02 PM
    Hey, I don't want to hear this! I just took my iphone 6+ back and my Note 4 will be here Friday lol.
    I wouldn't worry too much. Compared to the nits picked, most are over the moon with it. Me included. There is no lag on this device that bothers me even a bit. I haven't even bothered to turn anything off.

The only complaint I have is that I would like it to be $150 cheaper.
    10-31-2014 01:33 PM
    Only main dislike I have is the delay when hitting recent apps. Should not take as long as it does and I'd be very dissapointed if that is not fixed with an update. Other then that I'm in love. No speaker issues here, it gets so loud that for me it completely compensates for it being on the back.
    10-31-2014 05:00 PM
    There is plenty I like about my note 4 but regarding dissapointment ;

I had hoped touchid would have worked better...it's pretty rough for myself to the point it's unusable. Apple has touchid nailed.
    Delay on the recent apps button is a bummer.
    Back arrow on the right side is taking more time to get used to than I expected. Why not just follow android standards.
    Pedometer counts my bicycle rides as steps...huh?
    4x4 grid on TouchWiz forced me to alternative launcher.
    I randomly get popular messages from Samsung asking for permission to access whatever...weird.
    Some lag but hey, my iMac lags big time so I am used to it.
    Already have a scratch on the edge from being in my pocket...had a case that didn't protect the top/bottom. I've added another case but worries me. Planned on keeping this one a long time but not if it's going to get majorly scratched. My other Samsung, LG and Motorola android phones didn't do that.
    10-31-2014 05:46 PM
    Lay it on your leg or put it on the couch cushion. I'm not saying the speaker is bad, just easy to muffle the sound out a little bit
    10-31-2014 05:46 PM
    How do you manipulate animations on the GN4? Where is that located on the phone?
    Under settings developers option
    10-31-2014 06:41 PM
    My only complaint would be the display in direct sunlight.
    I love pretty much everything else..

I've found the display to be great in direct sunlight, better than my S3.
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-31-2014 08:05 PM
    If you have auto brightness on it will actually boost the brightness quite a bit, making the screen washed out so that it is easier to see. Works really well for what it is.
    11-01-2014 03:13 PM
    I still notice it's a little laggier than my Note 3 and the predictive text is still at best a laughing stock. The fast charging, and the camera are better than my Note 3. As I mentioned before, if I didn't have someone asking me outright for my Note 3, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting the Note 4 since I don't think it's $300 better than my old Note 3.
    11-01-2014 03:59 PM
    I still notice it's a little laggier than my Note 3 and the predictive text is still at best a laughing stock. The fast charging, and the camera are better than my Note 3. As I mentioned before, if I didn't have someone asking me outright for my Note 3, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting the Note 4 since I don't think it's $300 better than my old Note 3.
    Try SwiftKey. The predictive text is much better, and it "learns" your vocabulary the more you use it.
    hdhuntr likes this.
    11-02-2014 04:34 AM
    really dissapointed me too, i had to sell it after a week.
    What disappointed you?
    11-02-2014 04:35 AM
    What disappointed you?
    i am a developer so i always look for technical side's of the new stuff, was not just upto my par.
    11-02-2014 07:00 AM
    i am a developer so i always look for technical side's of the new stuff, was not just upto my par.
    So you have nothing specific, in other words.
    11-02-2014 07:01 AM
    Why are you returning the 6+?

11-02-2014 08:26 AM
    Try SwiftKey. The predictive text is much better, and it "learns" your vocabulary the more you use it.
    I've tried it before. I actually just now installed it and it gave me a cryptic message about how it can store my information then mentioned something about Passwords and other personal information.
    11-02-2014 09:42 AM
    All keyboards do that. You didn't install stock so you didn't have to check permissions. Also probably has to do with the cloud feature if you use it.

As for the other comment about lag... I came from Note 3 as well. I see no lag but I have Nova Prime and animations turned off, S Voice turned off and a couple other tweaks...

I've tried it before. I actually just now installed it and it gave me a cryptic message about how it can store my information then mentioned something about Passwords and other personal information.
    11-02-2014 09:55 AM
    Yes. It can't "learn" if it can't store the data.

It has to have access to password info if you want to create a cloud account with SwiftKey. Not required however. It's the #1 keyboard app. Been out for 3-4 years now.
    11-02-2014 10:05 AM
103 12345