12-15-2014 09:40 AM
103 ... 2345
tools
    Only thing I'm disappointed in is the 2.5 screen which makes it not only impossible to buy a full screen tempered glass protector but has also made it way too difficult to find one that covers just the flat portion without leaving a halo. I've yet to see anything as to what is better about a 2.5 screen than a flat one. Other than that I absolutely love it especially the battery life and the quick charging. This is the first smartphone I've ever owned that can easily go all day without recharging without using an extended battery.
    11-02-2014 11:16 AM
    I don't need more than 32gb of storage, don't take my batteries out (turbo charger for now) camera yes is probably better. Other than that it's personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't discount the N6 has a larger footprint, is thicker and heavier. No S-pen if you care about that. Definitely not a bad phone, but the Note 4 already pushes the size limit for me, especially if you put a case on it.
    11-02-2014 11:34 AM
    I'm only disappointed with touch wiz. It lags way too much for me and I had to go back to nova launcher prime.

Sent from my Frost White T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4
    11-02-2014 11:34 AM
    I upgraded from the S5 to the Note 4 on Verizon Wireless last week.

I know this is stupid... but I hate the alarm app.

When you set an alarm, it sounds off for about 40 seconds, then goes into an automatic snooze. It will sound off again, depending on if you set it to 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc, but, what genius in what universe decided an alarm clock needs to function this way? I had to install some other app from the play store. The Galaxy S5 had the same problem.

I havent noticed any lag problems yet. I am having trouble with getting my right thumb to reach across to the left side when holding it with one hand, but, hey, its a big phone, and I knew that going in, after trying it in the store about 15 times. I have a few apps set so they are smaller. I think I have them set for one-handed function.

I also dont love the new car mode app. The navigation button now takes you to a 2 screen option. I usually just want to see a map, I dont usually want to put in a destination. MAP is now on the 2nd screen, and now its more taps. Not too big of a deal, just more irritating because it was simpler and easier on my S5.

I also wish it had the cover for the USB port.
    Google maps hasn't had nav without destination since version 6. While it stinks, it's tough to complain about it now with this phone.

And choose a different alarm app. Timely, the one Google bought is very nice and you can adjust the snooze length and have it decrease for multiple snooze.
    11-02-2014 11:37 AM
    I would just turn animation off completely. You are still forcing the device to go hunt for something and drag it to your screen...right.....I very much suspect that if you want a big improvement from dealing with the animation feature....just turn it off. what is it really doing for you.....it is space filler and a memory hog....should you care?
    11-02-2014 11:40 AM
    Try SwiftKey. The predictive text is much better, and it "learns" your vocabulary the more you use it.
    It isn't much better. I still do plenty of backspacing. And they're a-holes over there. Cut/copy/paste has over 7700 votes as a feature request. A feature in quite a few keyboards and one sorely missed from physical keyboards. They just declined it stating it's not a direction they want to go right now. Bottom line, with the app going free, if it's a feature they can't charge for, good luck getting it implemented. But enjoy all the themes you can now buy. If Samsung would add arrow keys at the bottom of their keyboard, I'd have zero use for SwiftKey. Glad I didn't pay full price for it back in the day.
    11-02-2014 11:44 AM
    i am a developer so i always look for technical side's of the new stuff, was not just upto my par.
    Technical sides? Can you be any more vague. From a hardware side it is at the top of the food chain... Screen, processor, ram, removable storage and 32gb on board, big removable battery and quick charge, S-pen, good camera, excellent build quality. What from a technical point disappoints you that is a hinderence for developing?
    11-02-2014 11:47 AM
    I'm only disappointed with touch wiz. It lags way too much for me and I had to go back to nova launcher prime.

Sent from my Frost White T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4
    But the tw launcher is so limited to Nova and almost all other launchers. Unless you love tw specific widgets and such, I don't see the point of it.
    11-02-2014 11:49 AM
    It isn't much better. I still do plenty of backspacing. And they're a-holes over there. Cut/copy/paste has over 7700 votes as a feature request. A feature in quite a few keyboards and one sorely missed from physical keyboards. They just declined it stating it's not a direction they want to go right now. Bottom line, with the app going free, if it's a feature they can't charge for, good luck getting it implemented. But enjoy all the themes you can now buy. If Samsung would add arrow keys at the bottom of their keyboard, I'd have zero use for SwiftKey. Glad I didn't pay full price for it back in the day.
    It's much better than the Samsung keyboard. I backspace a little as well, but after a couple of years with it, it is usually because of my error. I guess I'm not sure what you are talking about with regards to cut/copy/paste. Any time I've needed to ccp SwiftKey has supported it. I guess you mean a specific in app function?
    11-02-2014 12:08 PM
    It's much better than the Samsung keyboard. I backspace a little as well, but after a couple of years with it, it is usually because of my error. I guess I'm not sure what you are talking about with regards to cut/copy/paste. Any time I've needed to ccp SwiftKey has supported it. I guess you mean a specific in app function?
    It's app dependent. You just happen to use apps that support it. If the keyboard supports it, it's available everywhere as a standard keyboard shortcut like you could back with hardware keyboards. Every field. Every app. Though there's also the complaints about the lack of fields for prediction as well where you shouldn't need root and a Wanam app to get it.

If it weren't an issue and not supported by other keyboards, it wouldn't be one of the largest requested features for SwiftKey. There are quite a few things if you look at their history of requests that are ignored but majorly user supported. All the new features are fluff related and don't add real productivity. Bug fixes, language corrections and so forth. They even crippled the tablet portrait key part, left shifting the entire keyboard and putting a left/right arrow only. Zero reason to deviate from the phone portrait layout.

Heck, we have 10 finger multi-touch screens, yet I can't select text by holding down the shift key and using arrows? That is basic keyboard functionality these keyboard devs in general don't implement. It's just sad.

The one thing the Note 4 brings is sheer size which makes any keyboard more accurate due to the physically larger keys. Once you get used to it, even going to a 5" phone seems small.
    11-02-2014 12:17 PM
    Now that you describe it in more detail I understand the limitations you're talking about. I'm so used to not having it work that way I never thought about it.
    11-02-2014 12:48 PM
    I feel like the odd-man out. I have had no complaints about the Note 4, coming from an S5 and before that a iPhone 5, prior to that every other generation of iPhone and Galaxy alternately. I haven't experienced lag or edge gap or screen issues. My car stereo connects and the headphone jack and power button location are fine for me. I seriously did look for some of the initial complaints but just couldn't find any. One of the lucky ones, I guess.
    11-02-2014 06:44 PM
    I had to switch. I switch to the droid turbo. My note 4 is back in the box. I loved the Note but in the end I grew tired of the size. I had the note 3 and loved the size but for some reason I cannot deal with it on the 4.

There are some trade offs though. The camera on the note is better as well as the screen brightness. Of course there is nothing comparable to the s pen.

Things I enjoy more on the turbo are the size of course and its much more fluid and snappy. Plus I enjoy the design and build better.

I loved note but in the end I guess I have changed from liking the larger size which now puts the nexus 6 out of my sight as well.

I hope everyone enjoys their Notes and they are fantastic devices. Just thought I would stop in and share my thoughts.
    11-02-2014 07:05 PM
    Phone is too laggy for me. It does a LOT, but it either does slow or jerky. The Droid Maxx ran much smoother than the Note 4. I usually reduce animations to .5 and I did it with the GN4 ... still lags. Unacceptable, especially for a flagship unit. I will give the Droid Turbo serious consideration.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Someone suggested turning UP the animations makes it better

Rocking the Note 4
    11-02-2014 07:06 PM
    I had to switch. I switch to the droid turbo. My note 4 is back in the box. I loved the Note but in the end I grew tired of the size. I had the note 3 and loved the size but for some reason I cannot deal with it on the 4.

There are some trade offs though. The camera on the note is better as well as the screen brightness. Of course there is nothing comparable to the s pen.

Things I enjoy more on the turbo are the size of course and its much more fluid and snappy. Plus I enjoy the design and build better.

I loved note but in the end I guess I have changed from liking the larger size which now puts the nexus 6 out of my sight as well.

I hope everyone enjoys their Notes and they are fantastic devices. Just thought I would stop in and share my thoughts.
    The turbo looks pretty good. But I want the changeable battery so I can change batteries, I like the sd card, and I like the ability to use data and calling the same time.
    11-02-2014 07:54 PM
    The turbo looks pretty good. But I want the changeable battery so I can change batteries, I like the sd card, and I like the ability to use data and calling the same time.
    Good points. Both have trade offs for me. And for me the turbo won. I totally understand those that need to swap batteries and need the SD card. For me those aren't high on my lost of must haves but they are nice.
    11-02-2014 07:56 PM

Rocking the Note 4
    I turned them all up to x2 and it does help a lot. The transitions are iPhone like when you do that. As someone previously said x2 is slow and smooth. I've since turned them down to .5 and it's snappy as heck..

I prefer .5 over the x2 so have stuck with that setting. It appears as though anything but the stock x1 setting helps.
    11-02-2014 08:07 PM
    OK so I would be the first to admit that maybe I am just missing something. The N4 is better faster if Animations are turned up turned down. I guess I don't see what they really do for us when compared to making the N4 faster. Why not just turn them off? I don't see a downside. But like I said...totally ready to admit I am wrong if that is the case. What is the benefit to keeping them on at all?
    11-02-2014 08:39 PM

Rocking the Note 4
    I tried turning my animation up to the 2 someone recommended and my screen turned to a pink. Had to restart to get rid of it.

11-02-2014 09:43 PM
    OK so I would be the first to admit that maybe I am just missing something. The N4 is better faster if Animations are turned up turned down. I guess I don't see what they really do for us when compared to making the N4 faster. Why not just turn them off? I don't see a downside. But like I said...totally ready to admit I am wrong if that is the case. What is the benefit to keeping them on at all?
    It makes opening apps look pretty. That's all they're there for. If you don't like/want/need the animations, feel free to turn them off.
    11-02-2014 10:33 PM
    Had the note 3 for an year loved it and thought the note 4 is a no brainer.

Used note 4 for 2 weeks a d was so underwhelmed. Besides the better screen I didn't see much improvement.

Was it markedly faster than the note 3, no. And in fact some areas felt slower, like the horrible lag when pushing recent apps button.

Touchwiz is better on the note 4 than the note 3 but still too much.

I was so underwhelmed that I returned the note 4 within the 15 day return policy at best buy got full refund

I have sworn off from Samsung phones until they stop with touchcrap

I decided to try out the LG G3 and love this phone. Screen quality is just as good as the note 4 IMO. Colors may not be as vivid but I think it gives more of a natural look in pics than the oversaturated pics on the note 4
    And LG had hardly any bloatware. I'm on AT&T so both G3 and note 4 had almost the same AT&T crapware

Anyways I'm really enjoying the G3 and will never go back to a note or Samsung again until they change their phones and Touchwiz, .

I know posting this in a note 4 forum I'll get alot of flack, but I figured I can provide an honest impression. Since I have used all the devices and used to be the biggest note fan...

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    anon8380037 likes this.
    11-02-2014 10:48 PM
    I thought it was just me...for such a beast of a phone, it does have an occasional unwarranted hiccup. However it's a small trade off given all this phone has to offer, and that it otherwise performs great the other 96% of the time.

11-03-2014 10:14 AM
    I know what you mean, I'm quite happy with my Note 4 as well coming from the Note 2. I realize nothing is going to please everyone but it tends to bother me a bit that we are made to feel as if there is something wrong with us if we actually are happy with something we purchased.

I'm completely comfortable liking something without feeling as if I have to put down something else that someone else likes.

I've not had any problems with mine at all, it works very well for my needs.

I feel like the odd-man out. I have had no complaints about the Note 4, coming from an S5 and before that a iPhone 5, prior to that every other generation of iPhone and Galaxy alternately. I haven't experienced lag or edge gap or screen issues. My car stereo connects and the headphone jack and power button location are fine for me. I seriously did look for some of the initial complaints but just couldn't find any. One of the lucky ones, I guess.
    monsieurms likes this.
    11-03-2014 11:30 AM
    I think there is a tendency in a thread with this title to attract more negative views--that is what is requested, after all....there are plenty of other threads, too. You aren't alone, and I don't think you're in the minority, either.

I am sorry but these threads always make me shake my head in disbelief...
    People suggest that you Turn off this and that, disable this, disable that... its a 2014 flagship, if I have to turn things off to get a "usable" experience, its a piece of crap. p )
    You don't have to turn things off to get a useable experience. If I wasn't someone who frequented fora and heard about lag, frankly it never would've occurred to me. I think the phone is fine as is. I got talked into turning off animations on my S4. I wasn't really bothered before I did. It made little difference after. The phone was fine both ways. As some have stated in this thread, I find the complaints of lag astonishingly exaggerated. Nothing about its speed bothers me at all, let alone moves me to declare it unuseable. And I think, too, some people apply the term loosely to most everything. I have yet to see a computer that does everything instantaneously. Is that lag, or normal operation? Someone mentioned lag in pulling up recent programs...if I have 9 recent programs to be displayed, is a phone entitled to a second to gather info and do that? I just tried it coming from a lockscreen, unlocked it, when straight to that--1 second is about what it took. Can we take into account that we may also have several other programs open and might be using a lot more memory at some times than others? That's just a computer and I don't find a whole second offensive.

As for animations, don't want animations? Turn 'em off. That doesn't seem like a horrid burden. Your view of what the default should be is merely different than Samsung's, and some agree with you. But the choice is yours and it's not a burdensome one. Android is about personalization and choice anyway. I imagine most people here spend about 100x longer picking out wallpaper and other personalizations. There are threads here showing that we spend vast amounts of time on such things. (me, too!! ) I'm wondering how much time we collectively spent picking out wallpaper instead of accepting the default. Or getting new widgets instead of defaults. Or downloading Firefox instead of the default browser, etc. How much longer does it take to make one of those choices turning off animations? A few seconds? Assuming I was bothered enough to do it, that doesn't seem so horrible.
    11-03-2014 11:49 AM
    Had the note 3 for an year loved it and thought the note 4 is a no brainer.

Used note 4 for 2 weeks a d was so underwhelmed. Besides the better screen I didn't see much improvement.

Was it markedly faster than the note 3, no. And in fact some areas felt slower, like the horrible lag when pushing recent apps button.

Touchwiz is better on the note 4 than the note 3 but still too much.

I was so underwhelmed that I returned the note 4 within the 15 day return policy at best buy got full refund

I have sworn off from Samsung phones until they stop with touchcrap

I decided to try out the LG G3 and love this phone. Screen quality is just as good as the note 4 IMO. Colors may not be as vivid but I think it gives more of a natural look in pics than the oversaturated pics on the note 4
    And LG had hardly any bloatware. I'm on AT&T so both G3 and note 4 had almost the same AT&T crapware

Anyways I'm really enjoying the G3 and will never go back to a note or Samsung again until they change their phones and Touchwiz, .

I know posting this in a note 4 forum I'll get alot of flack, but I figured I can provide an honest impression. Since I have used all the devices and used to be the biggest note fan...

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    Can anyone honestly say which phone is the best? Everything is arguable to ones preference. Personally, I don't like LG. The screen is decent, but coupled with the S801, is a battery hog. I don't care for the LG interface either or the cheap feel of the back plate. To each his own. That's why there are choices.
    I think the Note 4 is a fine upgrade to the Note 3.
    11-03-2014 01:09 PM
103 ... 2345