Note 4 disappointments?

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
The only disappointment is TW's tendency to briefly freeze when scrolling from the home screen to the next desktop screen. Using Nova or the Google Now launcher got rid of it. I really wanted to give TW a chance, but I couldn't handle that.

I switched to nova prime and it helped a lot. But something bothers me about not using the native launcher.

I tried the 2x animation it does help. But why should I do have to do that. It should come optimized out of the box

Posted via the Android Central App

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Granted, I haven't noticed any lag *yet*, but I do wonder if some of the lag issue is based on the carrier the Note 4 is from? IE, is the bloatware installed by certain providers having more of an impact on the device than from other providers?

My Note is on Sprint, and, as I said, I haven't noticed much lag yet.. but I haven't done a *ton* of stuff with it. It certainly feels snappier than my Note II was.

rosenbluu

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I love the note 4... by far the best phone I've ever had. The only problem is the multitasking lag.. other then that this phone is great

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Phone is too laggy for me. It does a LOT, but it either does slow or jerky. The Droid Maxx ran much smoother than the Note 4. I usually reduce animations to .5 and I did it with the GN4 ... still lags. Unacceptable, especially for a flagship unit. I will give the Droid Turbo serious consideration.

rosenbluu

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I switched to nova prime and it helped a lot. But something bothers me about not using the native launcher.

I tried the 2x animation it does help. But why should I do have to do that. It should come optimized out of the box

I turned my animations down to .5 which made it snappier but still it felt slow cause the app has to load.. but if you do put it to 2.. it's much more fluid

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I was really anxious waiting for the Note 4. I do really enjoy using the device and I love the functionality.

I am concerned with performance though. It does seem to stutter quite a bit. Especially with the native Camera app and muti-tasking feature. Even swiping through windows upon wake-up lags a bit. For the record i am being melodramatic. But it does irk me, it really takes a way from the user experience, which to me is held above all else.

I've been a long time fan of the Note series but I cant help being a little bummed out especially coming from the HTC One M8, which seriously performs better than the Note 4.

It has me thinking, are all of the features worth the good (as opposed to EXCELLENT) user experience. Maybe an M8, moto x, or the new turbo would please my inner ocd more.

The Note 4 is a fantastic device and there's a good chance i will stick by its side (for a couple months ;) ) I just want my device to be SNAPPY
I am in the same boat as you. Thought of selling it or returning it but it's too much hassle. And wanted the nexus 6 but that preorder sold out like crazy

Either way I guess I'll stick it out with the note 4 for a while longer. Hopefully someone gets a root soon for the AT&T version!

I did turn down the animation and it does feel a bit faster. I tried turning off animation completely and it was very fast, but I want a little animation!
Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
My only disappointment is that I can't reach the back button with my thumb when I'm holding the phone with my left hand. I can ALMOST use the thing completely one handed except for that.
The difference b/w this phone and smaller ones with one hand is that I don't cradle the bottom with my pinky. All fingers are on the back. And that's OK. Just wish my thumb could hit that back button!
I've used the one-handed feature, but who wants that? I wanna see the phone in its full glory.

Use the side panel. I'm right handed but I primarily use the phone left handed and have trouble reaching the back button as well so I use side panel quite often.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't notice any lag at all on my device. Of course, coming from the terribly lag friendly G3, any device is a drastic improvement. My Evo 4g phone from 2010 could probably STILL run smoother and faster than the G3

flexfield

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Love the Note 4 but my disappointments are the sound (came from the HTC M8), Touchwiz's lack of customization (hence using Nova), and the inaccurate pedometer.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you. Thought of selling it or returning it but it's too much hassle. And wanted the nexus 6 but that preorder sold out like crazy

Either way I guess I'll stick it out with the note 4 for a while longer. Hopefully someone gets a root soon for the AT&T version!

I did turn down the animation and it does feel a bit faster. I tried turning off animation completely and it was very fast, but I want a little animation!
Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

Another thing to do to speed up things is change the runtime from Dalvik to ART. Should improve battery life as well.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I had some lag for the first couple of days, but it disappeared spontaneously. Maybe something had been going on in the background at first.

My chief disappointment is that 4k-resolution videos are limited to five minutes' duration.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, it should, but bear in mind what bothers you or me isn't even on the radar of most users. I really don't mind "having to" use Nova. Except for the ability to pin Action Notes to the homescreen, and the screen hogging clock and weather widget, I don't lose anything from TW.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Thing is, TouchWiz really isn't the 'native' Android launcher. It's a custom launcher Samsung plops on their stuff. I wish we *could* just use the native launcher and then go from there if we *wanted* to add a new launcher, instead of having TouchWiz forced on the system and having to bypass it.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess I am very fortunate. I don't have any of the lag I am reading about. My phone is fast and fluid. I haven't adjusted anything and for the first time I prefer TW to Nova Prime. I have absolutely zero complaints. I have read threads on here saying that the camera is not as good in low light as the Iphone6 so I tested it against my girlfriends daughters I6 and the picture on my note was MUCH better. Hers was very dark and dull. I have used about every phone on the market today and I have to say without a shadow of a doubt, this is the best phone available today. The M8 is close but the camera on it is garbage

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I never understood why people whine about TW. I started reading about lag, and panicked. Couldn't find some of these settings mentioned and then realized Nova was the first thing I put on. Granted I've had it a day, But in putting back on my 100 plus apps and sett8ng things up (because Helium truly sucks... Sorry clockwork, but it does), it's been much faster than my S4 with installing and restoring and setting up. As I transition into normal use, it's still impressing. Now I just have to get used to the bigger phone again having gone back to the S series after my Note 2.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess I am very fortunate. I don't have any of the lag I am reading about. My phone is fast and fluid. I haven't adjusted anything and for the first time I prefer TW to Nova Prime. I have absolutely zero complaints. I have read threads on here saying that the camera is not as good in low light as the Iphone6 so I tested it against my girlfriends daughters I6 and the picture on my note was MUCH better. Hers was very dark and dull. I have used about every phone on the market today and I have to say without a shadow of a doubt, this is the best phone available today. The M8 is close but the camera on it is garbage

I am the same way -- and honestly I haven't installed Nova yet either. I have just left the stock launcher there, set it up, and enjoying the phone :).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech