Dropped Note 4!

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My Note 3 bezel cracked just by looking at it - LOL. I bought a new bezel for $12.00 shipped and it took me a few hours to change it, but the result was perfect. That said, how long do you think it will be before we're able to buy the metal bezel for the Note 4? I'm thinking before Xmas!

I nicked mine as well a few days ago and it's slightly bent in one corner - barely visible, but when the bezels are available, I'll change mine

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
This could have been me yesterday morning. I was walking into the bathroom with all of my stuff to get ready for work and when I went to turn the light on I knocked my phone out of my other hand onto the ceramic tile face down. Thankfully I had a Spigen Slim Armor case on it and sustained no damage, but my heart did skip a beat or 10.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I hope the OP recovers, and the phone is not damaged on the inside.

My take, my Note 4 was put in a case right after I broke the seal on the box and installed the sim and sd cards. I carry my Note 4 in a Spigen Tough Armour along with Temp Glass screen protector. Then I put it a wallet type case that can almost stand a 2 story building drop..the reason the double protection, is because I travel on two wheels all the time.

But, it is always in a case, at least one case. And the only time it is not in a case is when I am swapping batteries, and believe you me, I am very careful doing that 15 second swap.

I carried my Note 3 that same way for a year, end result was the Note 3 looking brand new after 1 year. Again, I hope the OP learns a lesson here..

One more thing, as I mentioned, I travel 95% on two wheels, motorcycle and bicycle. The saying goes, which can be written in stone, at one point and time, you will go down on the motorcycle and bicycle. That is true without a doubt. That saying can be brought over to the cell phone. The cell phone will be dropped at some point and time. No way to get around it.

That is why the majority of us carry our Notes in cases.. :)

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I really do feel for the OP, and hope his note 4 is fine. But I have to agree with everyone. Why cases are so popular and necessary.

I'm not trying to be mean but I just don't understand people who say "I love the way naked phone feels" or that "cases take away from the natural beauty of the note 4" etc

No matter how careful anyone is, dropping a phone will and probably will occur. It's the same argument for car insurance. You can be as careful a driver as possible but an accident can occur

Another option to consider is Warrenty on the note 4, but that is costly. I believe each claim is like a $100 deductible. Ouch!

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

Alexander Burnside

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The one and only time I've ever dropped a phone (Galaxy s4), the screen cracked straight down the middle and part of the trim cracked off from the impact. It still worked fine and the screen's damage was surprisingly hard to notice, but It was not a good day for me. Perhaps there is some solace in knowing it could be worse!

Also, I do find it to be rather reassuring that the metal trim on this phone actually has some practicality to it. It clearly prevented the more major damage plastic would have taken.

If you can't get it buffed out, just remember, your phone now has some character!

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
For me it was some bad circumstances. The phone actually fell on the few square feet of solid brick in the entire house, if any of you were wondering. If it would have been the kitchen floor or carpet it probably wouldnt have done this. The aluminum band even though damaged, probably saved my screen. I have to say, I know without a doubt my note 3 would have been damaged much more by that fall with its plastic band.

I didnt know that you could buy replacement bands for the note 3, hopefully some will come out for the 4. I would assume it voids the warranty though, but it shouldnt be too big an issue.

Its in a case now, not taking it off anymore (even at home). lol

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It comes down to personal choice. While I use a Monaco vertical type leather pouch for transporting the phone, I otherwise prefer to use it naked. I understand the risk in doing so, but fully accept it and compensate for it in being extremely OCD about protecting my precious (it's worked so far for every phone I've had over the years!). :p I do so because I really dislike how a case changes the look and feel of the phone. I don't want any extra bulk or the device's texture changed in any way. I just want to use and experience it as designed by the phone manufacturer, not the case manufacturer. :)
I guess my point is, I totally respect people who decide to go case less and understand there is some risk involved, but it gets me when they actually drop the phone and seemed shocked or mentally unprepared, like it was impossible to have happened

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I really do feel for the OP, and hope his note 4 is fine. But I have to agree with everyone. Why cases are so popular and necessary.

I'm not trying to be mean but I just don't understand people who say "I love the way naked phone feels" or that "cases take away from the natural beauty of the note 4" etc

No matter how careful anyone is, dropping a phone will and probably will occur. It's the same argument for car insurance. You can be as careful a driver as possible but an accident can occur

Another option to consider is Warrenty on the note 4, but that is costly. I believe each claim is like a $100 deductible. Ouch!

I don't think a warranty would help pay for cosmetic damage like this, although it would pay for a broken screen if that would happen.

The OP could try some Mother's aluminum mag wheel polish on the frame. It should improve the appearance. Be careful to apply only to the unpainted portion.

Posted via Android Central App

tbond669

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
That sucks...I had mine like 2 days before my case came in & I almost dropped it like 10 times...whew Was so glad to finally Get my Versus Thor case...lol

pmaisonet

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
If youre really OCD like me about phones just say you lost it, and assuming you have VZ insurance, just pay the deductible and get a new one.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I love the look of the phone but I use a case. I couldn't stand it if I crack or scratch the phone. If you want to rock the phone naked do it at home on carpeted floors or just in bed. Or if you don't like those suggestions use a skin. Sorry that had to happen to you.

Posted via the Android Central App

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
No one intentionally drops their phone. Accidents happen. Get a case. Even a slim case. Some protection better than none.

Posted via the Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not about to chastize or judge people who don't use cases, however I do feel that if you "love the feel of a naked phone" then you also have to be okay with a scuffed up phone. Chances are just too high that something could happen. I am not particularly a big case fan, when I use one I refuse to buy the $3 crappers on ebay and I get the nicer, high quality ones (not Swarovsky or Mont Blanc by ANY stretch though).

If I know with a case and tempered glass my phone will be protected in a worst case scanrio, I will do it. I am much more willing to deal with a bulky, ugly case than a damaged scuffed up naked phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not about to chastize or judge people who don't use cases, however I do feel that if you "love the feel of a naked phone" then you also have to be okay with a scuffed up phone. Chances are just too high that something could happen. I am not particularly a big case fan, when I use one I refuse to buy the $3 crappers on ebay and I get the nicer, high quality ones (not Swarovsky or Mont Blanc by ANY stretch though).

If I know with a case and tempered glass my phone will be protected in a worst case scanrio, I will do it. I am much more willing to deal with a bulky, ugly case than a damaged scuffed up naked phone.

NEVER! I love my phone naked and I don't want scuffs.... I want both worlds :(. I really do .. but I know in order to have it I have to be super careful .. But .. Accept that if I drop it I am going to be in a bad spot haha.

One day I will probably order a case ... Just because I do want it to stay nice :(.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
NEVER! I love my phone naked and I don't want scuffs.... I want both worlds :(. I really do .. but I know in order to have it I have to be super careful .. But .. Accept that if I drop it I am going to be in a bad spot haha.

One day I will probably order a case ... Just because I do want it to stay nice :(.

Yeah that's my point. I think everyone would love both worlds, but sadly it's not likely that many can. Some may get lucky but even those of us who baby our devices like crazy can get a spot of bad luck like OP did. For instance, I ALWAYS used a screen protector until I got my S3. It had the same curved glass that the Note 4 has, so I went without a screen protector but babied the thing like I always do. Then one time in the car I asked my wife to do a map search to help us navigate Boise, Idaho and she dropped it down between the seat and the center console. That gave the screen about 5 light scratches. You couldn't feel them even with your fingernail, but I could see them on certain angles. Ever since then, I don't assume that caution alone will do the trick.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I've been super paranoid about mine until my Spigen case gets here from Amazon today.

I use mine for home and work, and I am in and out all day long. It is not a matter of if, but when I drop my phone. I've been fortunate so far with all of my Galaxy devices that I haven't had a major mishap. But I've always used an Otterbox Commuter or other armored case on those phones. Trying a Spigen Slim Armor for a while, going to see if I like that enough. Otherwise, I'll probably eventually get another Commuter for my Note4.

Sorry for your luck, OP. Glad it didn't cause any functional damage!

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
[ QUOTE REMOVED BY MODERATOR ]

My 2c on cases:

Manufactures spend a lot of time and money designing these phones. So think about what you are literally holding in your hand. Is it the phone that the company spent many hours, and a lot of money designing (and that seriously feels good in the hand), or is it the $10 case from walmart that some case maker manufactured for 50 cents? We only use these phones for 1-2 years, so why not use them as they were intended, instead of ruining the overall experience with a bulky case?. Its very hard to find a nice feeling case with a half decent designed. I cant even buy any spigen dual armour cases because the holes dont match up with verizon mics.

Heres my summary: Use a stinking case so that what happened to me doesnt happen to you. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I can sympathize. I dinged my new N4 a few hours after getting it.

I bought 2 spigen cases and it covers it up nicely, but now I noticed that the spigen cases scratched the crap out of the metal bezels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12