11-02-2014 06:51 PM
58 123
tools
    So, heres my story.

Got the note 3 when it first came out last year, and loved it. Pre ordered the note 4 the day it was available for verizon, even though my note 3 is in immaculate condition, and still working beautifully. Anxiously waited an entire month for it. It was delivered on October 23rd, and it was one of the most exciting packages I have gotten all year (and I get a fair amount of packages lol).

I hate phone cases, but the fact of the matter is I use my phone a TON at work, so I got a few note 4 spigen cases for it (which were all crap compared to the note 3 and s5 ones lol).

When I got home from work today, first thing I did was took my nasty bulky crappy case off my phone like I always do, and put the phone in my jacket pocket.

Walk through the front door, start untying my shoes. And bam......it happened. It dropped...........

Dropped Note 4!-dsc_1256m.jpg
    Dropped Note 4!-dsc_1253m.jpg

I am absolutely devastated. I have always treated my phones with the utmost respect and care, and its not like I even dropped it out of my hand. But of course it was still my fault...duh.

This ruined my week, possibly my month (and my phone that I will be using for the next stinking year). I am only glad it didnt crack the screen or anything.

Any suggestions to try and flatten/smooth the rugged marks on the sides?

It is a sad day.
    DarkUncle likes this.
    10-29-2014 09:51 PM
    Ouch that sucks! .
    10-29-2014 09:54 PM
    Best bet is probably just get and cover it
    10-29-2014 09:54 PM
    I feel your pain. Mine slide face down on the concrete last night. Pictures will follow.
    10-29-2014 10:00 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you can solve your problem soon.
    10-29-2014 10:11 PM
    GET. A. CASE.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-29-2014 10:16 PM
    GET. A. CASE.

He said he had one.. It just happened when he took it out sadly .
    10-29-2014 10:16 PM
    I would have to dress down the metal parts with an extremely fine file or even extra fine Arkansas whetstone, maybe buy one of these:

Amazon.com: Spyderco Triangle White Ceramic File (1/4): Kitchen & Dining

I have a faceting machine use to make gemstones. I think I would figure out how to use it to polish the metal edges back up. Maybe you could take it to a jeweler and see if he can touch it up. A good jeweler could probably make those dings disappear.
    dedduck0121 likes this.
    10-29-2014 10:18 PM
    I would have to dress down the metal parts with an extremely fine file or even extra fine Arkansas whetstone, maybe buy one of these:

I have a faceting machine use to make gemstones. I think I would figure out how to use it to polish the metal edges back up. Maybe you could take it to a jeweler and see if he can touch it up. A good jeweler could probably make those dings disappear.
    Thanks for that suggestion, I will definitely look into that.
    10-29-2014 10:31 PM
    OK, Don't do that.
    iOSConvert2k14 likes this.
    10-29-2014 10:44 PM
    Get a new one from Verizon and say it came damaged,
    Not a good idea to encourage someone to make a fraudulent claim .
    GregMargie and deeb215 like this.
    10-29-2014 10:47 PM
    Ahem. The post is from "felloffthetruck" Almeuit.
    curney likes this.
    10-29-2014 10:51 PM
    Get a new one from Verizon and say it came damaged,
    LOL considered that for a split second, but it would be a hard argument on my end
    10-29-2014 10:53 PM
    Best bet is probably just get and cover it
    Put a ring..errr case on it .

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4
    kittenphelia likes this.
    10-29-2014 11:21 PM
    So, heres my story.

Got the note 3 when it first came out last year, and loved it. Pre ordered the note 4 the day it was available for verizon, even though my note 3 is in immaculate condition, and still working beautifully. Anxiously waited an entire month for it. It was delivered on October 23rd, and it was one of the most exciting packages I have gotten all year (and I get a fair amount of packages lol).

I hate phone cases, but the fact of the matter is I use my phone a TON at work, so I got a few note 4 spigen cases for it (which were all crap compared to the note 3 and s5 ones lol).

When I got home from work today, first thing I did was took my nasty bulky crappy case off my phone like I always do, and put the phone in my jacket pocket.

Walk through the front door, start untying my shoes. And bam......it happened. It dropped...........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1256m.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	479.5 KB 
ID:	144552
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1253m.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	520.3 KB 
ID:	144553

I am absolutely devastated. I have always treated my phones with the utmost respect and care, and its not like I even dropped it out of my hand. But of course it was still my fault...duh.

This ruined my week, possibly my month (and my phone that I will be using for the next stinking year). I am only glad it didnt crack the screen or anything.

Any suggestions to try and flatten/smooth the rugged marks on the sides?

It is a sad day.
    Mine was in a case from day one

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4
    CehowardNote7 likes this.
    10-29-2014 11:22 PM
    I have no case, but i have been very careful handling it, and when it's in my pocket, it's in there by itself with nothing else. I don't want any scratches on it. I am strongly considering a case.

10-29-2014 11:29 PM
    First off, I'll say "ouch". I'd be very upset with myself as well.

But now, I have to say, that I don't understand the thinking of taking a case on and off (unless you're swapping a battery). It's needless wear and tear on the case and can lead to accidents (phone slipping out of the hand and whatnot), and can result in damage while the phone is uncased (as you experienced). If you don't like the case you bought, then perhaps its not the right case. Buy a case you like the look of so you can leave it on all the time.

And yes, I know there are many who don't case their phones at all. Me, I do prefer the extra protection.
    10-29-2014 11:43 PM
    I have no case, but i have been very careful handling it, and when it's in my pocket, it's in there by itself with nothing else. I don't want any scratches on it. I am strongly considering a case.

I would consider myself a lot like that. I am very careful with my stuff as well, as far as the pocket thing goes or even the surface I set it down on (for the protruding camera). BUT I guess one mistake was all it took eh......
    10-29-2014 11:43 PM
    You know, I'd be sad. But then I'd also be glad, that it didn't shatter the screen. Now if it had edge to edge glass, I think the screen surely would have shattered. The phone still looks beautiful.
    10-30-2014 12:44 AM
    I've never used a case and have never broken a phone. But I would never put my phone in a jacket pocket, sweat-pants pocket, etc. The only place I carry it is in a snug, otherwise-empty front pants pocket, or in an arm-band, or in a dedicated padded pocket in my backpack.
    10-30-2014 07:01 AM
    My Note 3 bezel cracked just by looking at it - LOL. I bought a new bezel for $12.00 shipped and it took me a few hours to change it, but the result was perfect. That said, how long do you think it will be before we're able to buy the metal bezel for the Note 4? I'm thinking before Xmas!

I nicked mine as well a few days ago and it's slightly bent in one corner - barely visible, but when the bezels are available, I'll change mine
    10-30-2014 07:41 AM
    This could have been me yesterday morning. I was walking into the bathroom with all of my stuff to get ready for work and when I went to turn the light on I knocked my phone out of my other hand onto the ceramic tile face down. Thankfully I had a Spigen Slim Armor case on it and sustained no damage, but my heart did skip a beat or 10.
    CehowardNote7 likes this.
    10-30-2014 08:08 AM
    I hope the OP recovers, and the phone is not damaged on the inside.

My take, my Note 4 was put in a case right after I broke the seal on the box and installed the sim and sd cards. I carry my Note 4 in a Spigen Tough Armour along with Temp Glass screen protector. Then I put it a wallet type case that can almost stand a 2 story building drop..the reason the double protection, is because I travel on two wheels all the time.

But, it is always in a case, at least one case. And the only time it is not in a case is when I am swapping batteries, and believe you me, I am very careful doing that 15 second swap.

I carried my Note 3 that same way for a year, end result was the Note 3 looking brand new after 1 year. Again, I hope the OP learns a lesson here..

One more thing, as I mentioned, I travel 95% on two wheels, motorcycle and bicycle. The saying goes, which can be written in stone, at one point and time, you will go down on the motorcycle and bicycle. That is true without a doubt. That saying can be brought over to the cell phone. The cell phone will be dropped at some point and time. No way to get around it.

That is why the majority of us carry our Notes in cases..
    Phantasmal Images and mchi5 like this.
    10-30-2014 08:29 AM
    I really do feel for the OP, and hope his note 4 is fine. But I have to agree with everyone. Why cases are so popular and necessary.

I'm not trying to be mean but I just don't understand people who say "I love the way naked phone feels" or that "cases take away from the natural beauty of the note 4" etc

No matter how careful anyone is, dropping a phone will and probably will occur. It's the same argument for car insurance. You can be as careful a driver as possible but an accident can occur

Another option to consider is Warrenty on the note 4, but that is costly. I believe each claim is like a $100 deductible. Ouch!

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk
    10-30-2014 09:23 AM
    The one and only time I've ever dropped a phone (Galaxy s4), the screen cracked straight down the middle and part of the trim cracked off from the impact. It still worked fine and the screen's damage was surprisingly hard to notice, but It was not a good day for me. Perhaps there is some solace in knowing it could be worse!

Also, I do find it to be rather reassuring that the metal trim on this phone actually has some practicality to it. It clearly prevented the more major damage plastic would have taken.

If you can't get it buffed out, just remember, your phone now has some character!
    10-30-2014 09:23 AM
58 123