I can't imagine anyone else noticing this unless they are really into the painting/drawing apps like I am. But if you want to see for yourself and have a Note 3 stylus, please try this...

- In an app like Sketchbook, select the pencil tool with a thin stroke selected.
    - With a N3 spen draw some circles as lightly as possible with a feather touch.
    - Now draw some more circles next to these using the N4 spen, and try to make them as light as the N3's.

You can also try shading in a circle with each stylus. It should be next to impossible to shade an area as lightly using the N4 stylus.

You can see that the N4's stylus is blowing though the low-end pressure curve much more quickly, giving you much less range on the low end. Or... OR.. I have a bad N4 stylus(???) I hope that's the case! ...I tried replacing the tip and doing a bunch of heavy strokes to see if it just needed to be broken in. I can't see that it's helped at all. I have two spare N3 spens that are consistent with each other.

I know the N4 hardware supports twice the levels or pressure. But i'm beginning to wonder about the implementation

Any confirmation or suggestions appreciated
    10-29-2014 11:48 PM
    Ain't nobody got time for that

Posted via the Android Central App
    kittenphelia likes this.
    10-30-2014 12:06 AM
    Heh.. Guess not.
    I tried another N4 stylus today to verify the issue... Guess it would only matter to people who cared that the N4 spen was supposedly upped to 2048 levels of pressure from 1024. But instead we get less pressure sensitivity. I can understand how it wouldn't bother most people... oh well..
    10-30-2014 11:59 PM
    Heh.. Guess not.
    I tried another N4 stylus today to verify the issue... Guess it would only matter to people who cared that the N4 spen was supposedly upped to 2048 levels of pressure from 1024. But instead we get less pressure sensitivity. I can understand how it wouldn't bother most people... oh well..
    I understand your concern if it's a feature you rely heavily on. I'm not much help as the note 4 is my first android phone ever. I can side with you though when it comes to bothersome things such as that. You think you made an improvement by upgrading but really all you did was over complicate things and you want them to work the same if not better. Hopefully someone with some incite full advice chimes in.

Posted via the Android Central App
    kittenphelia and skooge like this.
    10-31-2014 12:51 AM
    I do appreciate you chiming in, M3Stang. Thanks
    Yeah. Hopefully someone who is also in need of the full pressure range will stumble across this eventually. I know it's a small subset of users, but thought there would be more of them that frequent this forum... Thanks again
    10-31-2014 04:09 PM
    I can't imagine anyone else noticing this unless they are really into the painting/drawing apps like I am. But if you want to see for yourself and have a Note 3 stylus, please try this...

- In an app like Sketchbook, select the pencil tool with a thin stroke selected.
    - Now draw some more circles next to these using the N4 spen, and try to make them as light as the N3's.

You can also try shading in a circle with each stylus. It should be next to impossible to shade an area as lightly using the N4 stylus.

You can see that the N4's stylus is blowing though the low-end pressure curve much more quickly, giving you much less range on the low end. Or... OR.. I have a bad N4 stylus(???) I hope that's the case! ...I tried replacing the tip and doing a bunch of heavy strokes to see if it just needed to be broken in. I can't see that it's helped at all. I have two spare N3 spens that are consistent with each other.

I know the N4 hardware supports twice the levels or pressure. But i'm beginning to wonder about the implementation

The note 4 stylus actually worked great on the note 3 lol..i was shocked

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4
    10-31-2014 04:27 PM
    Ha! Cool, Stackberry
    Now if only it would work as advertised on the Note 4 ;p
    10-31-2014 09:39 PM
    Not that anybody that really has an issue with this wants to here...."there is an app for this" But I saw a post from somebody claiming there is an app out there that ups the sensitivity and pressure range of the S pen. However the person who posted did not name the app. Does anybody know the name of the app?
    skooge likes this.
    10-31-2014 10:15 PM
    Hmm. Would be curious to know the name of it too... Hopefully we won't have to resort to that, but options are never a bad thing. Thanks for the heads up
    11-01-2014 06:51 PM
    Maybe it's the application itself since it is 3rd party? You try sketching in S note?
    skooge likes this.
    11-01-2014 10:26 PM
    I already replaced the first nib today because I felt that it wasn't responding as well as last week. I have had the phone for 11 days.
    skooge likes this.
    11-01-2014 10:28 PM
    Maybe it's the application itself since it is 3rd party? You try sketching in S note?
    Good idea since since it's a Samsung app... Just tried it with an 80 width pen stroke. And even though these "brushes" aren't intended for ultra light strokes, there is an obvious difference in light strokes. Shows that it's really blowing through that lower range badly :/ ...I have several paint apps, and it's consistent throughout all of them.
    11-01-2014 10:58 PM
    I already replaced the first nib today because I felt that it wasn't responding as well as last week. I have had the phone for 11 days.
    I did a comparison the day i brought mine home. As soon as i had a suspicion that it didn't appear to be getting the full range. I tried changing the tip. Then doing a bunch of heavy strokes and stuff to see if it just needed to be broken in. No improvement :/

I'm not sure if i'm seeing the same problem you're seeing though. I haven't had any trouble with the touches/strokes being recognized by the screen... Mine's not responding correctly to lighter strokes though i guess you could say.

EDIT: Now that i think about it, it would make sense if the same issue was causing both problems (?)
    11-01-2014 11:06 PM
    How much different in size is the Note 4 pen from the Note 3 pen? Would the the note 4 pen fit in the note 3 slot? Would it also work in a note 3?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    07-03-2015 07:18 AM
    I just saw the post. .... I guess it works but size wise. GF lost her Blush pink pen and i can't find a replacement the same color. So far only can find blush pink note Spens

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    07-03-2015 07:22 AM

You can see that the N4's stylus is blowing through the low-end pressure curve much more quickly, giving you much less range on the low end. Or... OR.. I have a bad N4 stylus(???) I hope that's the case! ...I tried replacing the tip and doing a bunch of heavy strokes to see if it just needed to be broken in. I can't see that it's helped at all. I have two spare N3 spans that are consistent with each other.

I know the N4 hardware supports twice the levels or pressure. But I'm beginning to wonder about the implementation

Omg ... can't believe i i finally found some one with the same problem.
    did you find a solution ?
    today i went to the samsung mega store in Frankfurt , and demanded of them to fix this issue , they looked at me like i was crazy , but told me they will change my s pen.
    12-14-2015 10:36 AM