11-06-2015 09:07 AM
55 123
tools
    Everyone else would disagree with you here as HDR ALWAYS makes the camera take longer and if he's having poor camera output, HDR is not going to help him. At all.
    Have you tried it on a Note 4? It doesn't take any extra time.

Also I said on a side note.. Not in regards to his particular issue.
    10-30-2014 07:32 PM
    You did get the plastic off the lens right? Look closely at the camera lens (tilt the phone sideways). If it is there a small piece of tape will take it right off.
    10-30-2014 08:21 PM
    You can't defy physics... you can't stop motion if your shutter speed is to slow. You Can't Increase your shutter speed without a higher ISO value or more light (flash, faster lens).

Also, the note has twice as many pixels as an iPhone so if you look at photos at 100% magnification you'll see more imperfections with the note.
    10-30-2014 09:09 PM
    Just a few quick points -
    1. The more mp a camera has, the more sensitive it will be relatively to any movement while you take the pic. This can explain how a 2mp camera can "look sharper" than a high mp camera, mostly because your hands are slightly moving when taking the pic and all those mp's capture that movement well, aka blur.
    2. A shutter speed of 1/20 of a sec will never stop any motion
    3. The shutter speed should be up around 1/125th of a second to generally get consistently good pics (this varies with focal length of the lens). Kids with moving hands etc, will not be "frozen" you will the the hands as a blur at lower shutter speeds.
    4. Using the flash MAY help. The duration of a flash is very very quick and that "freezes" motion. For this to work the flash has to be the dominant source of the light in the scene. If the flash is being mixed in with a decently lighted room (ambient light) it will not freeze motion because it's not the DOMINANT source of light.
    5. The way you can maintain a higher shutter speed is to raise the ISO of your phone camera. The downside is that at higher iso's all camera sensors exhibit "noise".

So, it's all trade offs. If you take the camera outside on a bright day (high ambient light) the camera will maintain a high shutter speed even at low ISO and your kids should not be blurry UNLESS you have really shaky hands..

If you want to understand what ISO means and how this impacts photography, google "the sunny 16 rule" and that should get you some better info than I've written.

good luck!
    the tall guy likes this.
    10-30-2014 09:25 PM
    I'd say it's better to have at LEAST a 1/250th shutter speed for active kids, esp if they are close to the camera. Unless blur is intentional, of course, which can be an effective choice, depending on the situation.
    10-31-2014 11:56 AM
    Burst mode

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-uploadfromtaptalk1414774160683.jpg  
    skippyg likes this.
    10-31-2014 12:49 PM
    Dunno what im looking at here but the 606 NOTE 4 picture looks horrible compared to the DSLR 607, not even remotely close.
    Well ain't that interesting. It is good that you admitted early on that you "Dunno what im looking at here" because the one you say looks so "HORRIBLE" came straight of of my DSLR - full auto no adjustments. The one you liked so well and ASSumed came from the dslr is the Note 4- full auto image. Carry on HT.
    PookiePrancer likes this.
    11-02-2014 09:13 PM
    LOL I just found out Camera has a plastic, been taking pics for a week like that

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-02-2014 09:30 PM
    Plastic doesn't cover the lens.

PookiePrancer likes this.
    11-02-2014 09:34 PM
    In the exact same boat. I really, really like this phone. But the camera is too slow to capture the kids indoors, or in anything but perfect light. No android camera can compare to the iPhone 5s or above for taking consistently good photos (except for the M8, but it really lacks clarity). I have a 6 plus that'll be delivered this week, I'm thinking about hanging onto the note 4 until it gets lollipop. Not sure if my wife will allow that though.

11-02-2014 11:20 PM
    My pictures have been good

Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-20141031_120459.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-20141031_120332.jpg  
    11-02-2014 11:43 PM
    Takes excellent pictures to me and I haven't even adjust the default settings yet.

Attachment 144647
    Attachment 144648
    Off topic but is that a diamond smart pool table lol

11-02-2014 11:44 PM
    I have a 6 plus that'll be delivered this week, I'm thinking about hanging onto the note 4 until it gets lollipop. Not sure if my wife will allow that though.

I read some where the lollipop will improve all android camera algorithm and allow them to save is raw format or to adjust the amount of jpg compression.

I have been playing with the camera for a little bit. Took the kid out today to play and the pictures and 4K videos came out great. Tried to take it out Halloween night. haha very low light and kids that cant stand still while raiding candy was almost a joke. Some actually came out ok when I when to auto and changed the iso to 800.. As for sports mode if that is not enough for some people you can adjust it yourself and it should help. that and doing burst mode and you should get some good pics. As others stated the shutter can only do so much. keep toying with the camera and modes to find out which one to use in different situations.

And for god sakes dont give up on the note 4.. Recording in 4K and being able to rip a clean 8ish mp picture from ANYWHERE in that video is something beautiful. If I can find a better program to do this then vlc it will be even better.

looks like vlc will let you save the file as png which doesnt compress anything. My file came out at 13MB.. haha so it would be wise to use another program to compress a little back down to 4-5 unless you got plenary of space. Either way, nice to have
    11-02-2014 11:46 PM
    Off topic but is that a diamond smart pool table lol

No idea...I rented that house a few weeks ago when I was on vacation.
    11-03-2014 08:39 AM
    I'm hoping lollipop will allow for some good third party camera options, that make up for whatever the Samsung engineers can't get right.

11-03-2014 11:58 AM
    I took out my son for Halloween. Went to a well lit, bright office building to collect candy and still could not take a single decent shot. A friend of ours who was with us had a iphone 6 and didn't have any issues with blurring. I ended up just taking a bunch of videos and getting some pics from that.

For as much as I want to keep this phone, its going back. I think every other aspect of this phone is great, but I can't roll the dice hoping Samsung will update it or Lollipop will fix it. I called Samsung and this isn't even a widespread issue for them or something they are acknowledging yet. Verizon is letting me hang on to the note 4 until the iphone 6 plus gets here.
    11-03-2014 02:24 PM
    I took out my son for Halloween. Went to a well lit, bright office building to collect candy and still could not take a single decent shot. A friend of ours who was with us had a iphone 6 and didn't have any issues with blurring. I ended up just taking a bunch of videos and getting some pics from that.

For as much as I want to keep this phone, its going back. I think every other aspect of this phone is great, but I can't roll the dice hoping Samsung will update it or Lollipop will fix it. I called Samsung and this isn't even a widespread issue for them or something they are acknowledging yet. Verizon is letting me hang on to the note 4 until the iphone 6 plus gets here.
    I don't blame you there man ... Pictures of kids > a phone choice. I may have this dilemma coming up since my Nephew is getting older .. so camera will be more important to me since I would want to snap photos of him.
    11-03-2014 03:48 PM

Have you tried using the camera with the flash on? I've found that for situations where low light and movement are issues, forcing the flash to be on will override the low light settings and take a pretty decent picture. It also doesn't take as long to focus and shoot.

I completely agree with you that the camera is a lot different than previous Samsung cameras. My S4 camera was about as rock solid of a camera as I've ever had on a phone, even if the low light settings were not that great.

At first I didn't really like this camera either, for a lot of the same reasons you've mentioned (particularly the kids) but I've found ways to work with the camera, and the results have been excellent.
    11-03-2014 04:04 PM
    I have tried the flash on with slightly better results. I'm starting to wonder if the type of overhead lighting makes a difference, such as florescent or LED. Most of the pics I've taken have been under these lights. I still have another upgrade left on my account. I definitely want to go back to android at some point, the nerd in me loves it. I'll look back into the S6 or Note 5.
    11-03-2014 05:14 PM
    Did you try what I posted ? increasing the iso helps. I was out in the dark and still got some none blued pics.. not perfect but it was better then just leaving on auto and sports mode did nothing. you need flash and high iso... also helps if the kids can slow down a little.. haha
    11-03-2014 09:15 PM
    I'd say it's better to have at LEAST a 1/250th shutter speed for active kids, esp if they are close to the camera. Unless blur is intentional, of course, which can be an effective choice, depending on the situation.
    Yup...totally agree!
    12-22-2014 04:00 AM

if you are willing to look at windows phones pick up a uses Nokia 1020 for about $225- $250. The camera absolutely blows away any camera phone. 41mp and a much larger sensor, giving much better low light performance and amazing detail with it's zeiss lens.
    12-22-2014 04:02 AM
    HDR should be OFF for pictures with motion. In that mode it takes several shots and combines them for the best light exposures. HDR will introduce blur if motion is present.
    PookiePrancer and ejohnnyk like this.
    12-22-2014 12:42 PM
    Sorry. Android camera software just is not very good; just not bad. Since both my hands shake I turn on the hardware anti shake. I have tried 'sport' setting hoping the exposure would be faster. I also downloaded the Google camera app but for me it was not useable; You might try it.
    12-22-2014 02:06 PM
    Hello, I also just got the Galaxy Note 4 on Dec. 3rd. When Christmas morning rolled around all of our "opening presents" pictures turned out blurry. On Sunday at our daughters track meet again all of the action pictures were blurry. Spent countless hours on the phone with Verizon tech support, Samsung support and nothing changed. Went to the Verizon store and they told me it most likely would not change if I tried another note so they suggested the Iphone 6 plus...I am really disappointed because I love the note but I HAVE got to have a good camera.
    12-29-2014 08:54 PM
55 123