Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures

marrzie

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cannot take clear pictures

First post!
I am in the same boat. This is my third android device (sg3, sg5, and now note 4) after having every apple phone up to 4s. i have a 2 year old who is constantly moving and his hands are always kinda blurry. grrrrr. now if he is sitting still then BAM excellent excellent photo!! im also a crossfit coach/bootcamp instructor so im always taking pix of people moving fast and sometimes in very low light (5am). ive tried all the modes. used google camera. no plastic cover on lens. im kinda sad about it actually. i use the stylus alot as i jot workout notes down quickly on site.
this week im using my wifes iphone 6 plus this week and in my sport and fitness environment, the camera is great. no blurry hands. just wish samsung had faster shutter :(

outstanding phone everywhere else tho.

You got a youtube channel with your classes or how to for proper form?

Eric Eastman

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the exact same issue as you are nate1821. I have tried everything and any small amount of movement in my pics comes out blurry. I did download a few other photo apps which seem to help but they limit the picture size and options. I am quite disappointed by this. Coming from a Droid Ultra I was expecting better. Maybe a software issue??

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site

I don't know as that is totally true HothTron. I have a photo comparing the Note 4 and my DSLR and they both look quite good. It is all a function of lighting for this point and shoot sensor in the Note 4.

View attachment 141606
View attachment 141607

Dunno what im looking at here but the 606 NOTE 4 picture looks horrible compared to the DSLR 607, not even remotely close.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Everyone else would disagree with you here as HDR ALWAYS makes the camera take longer and if he's having poor camera output, HDR is not going to help him. At all.

Have you tried it on a Note 4? It doesn't take any extra time.

Also I said on a side note.. Not in regards to his particular issue.

billinaz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

You did get the plastic off the lens right? Look closely at the camera lens (tilt the phone sideways). If it is there a small piece of tape will take it right off.

palmor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

You can't defy physics... you can't stop motion if your shutter speed is to slow. You Can't Increase your shutter speed without a higher ISO value or more light (flash, faster lens).

Also, the note has twice as many pixels as an iPhone so if you look at photos at 100% magnification you'll see more imperfections with the note.

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Just a few quick points -
1. The more mp a camera has, the more sensitive it will be relatively to any movement while you take the pic. This can explain how a 2mp camera can "look sharper" than a high mp camera, mostly because your hands are slightly moving when taking the pic and all those mp's capture that movement well, aka blur.
2. A shutter speed of 1/20 of a sec will never stop any motion
3. The shutter speed should be up around 1/125th of a second to generally get consistently good pics (this varies with focal length of the lens). Kids with moving hands etc, will not be "frozen" you will the the hands as a blur at lower shutter speeds.
4. Using the flash MAY help. The duration of a flash is very very quick and that "freezes" motion. For this to work the flash has to be the dominant source of the light in the scene. If the flash is being mixed in with a decently lighted room (ambient light) it will not freeze motion because it's not the DOMINANT source of light.
5. The way you can maintain a higher shutter speed is to raise the ISO of your phone camera. The downside is that at higher iso's all camera sensors exhibit "noise".

So, it's all trade offs. If you take the camera outside on a bright day (high ambient light) the camera will maintain a high shutter speed even at low ISO and your kids should not be blurry UNLESS you have really shaky hands..:)

If you want to understand what ISO means and how this impacts photography, google "the sunny 16 rule" and that should get you some better info than I've written.

good luck!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I'd say it's better to have at LEAST a 1/250th shutter speed for active kids, esp if they are close to the camera. Unless blur is intentional, of course, which can be an effective choice, depending on the situation.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Burst mode

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414774160683.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414774160683.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 89

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Dunno what im looking at here but the 606 NOTE 4 picture looks horrible compared to the DSLR 607, not even remotely close.

Well ain't that interesting. It is good that you admitted early on that you "Dunno what im looking at here" because the one you say looks so "HORRIBLE" came straight of of my DSLR - full auto no adjustments. The one you liked so well and ASSumed came from the dslr is the Note 4- full auto image. Carry on HT.:confused:

DakotaBoy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
In the exact same boat. I really, really like this phone. But the camera is too slow to capture the kids indoors, or in anything but perfect light. No android camera can compare to the iPhone 5s or above for taking consistently good photos (except for the M8, but it really lacks clarity). I have a 6 plus that'll be delivered this week, I'm thinking about hanging onto the note 4 until it gets lollipop. Not sure if my wife will allow that though.

Posted via the Android Central App

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
My pictures have been good

Attachments

• 20141031_120459.jpg
    20141031_120459.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 76
  • 20141031_120332.jpg
    20141031_120332.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 74

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6 plus that'll be delivered this week, I'm thinking about hanging onto the note 4 until it gets lollipop. Not sure if my wife will allow that though.

I read some where the lollipop will improve all android camera algorithm and allow them to save is raw format or to adjust the amount of jpg compression.

I have been playing with the camera for a little bit. Took the kid out today to play and the pictures and 4K videos came out great. Tried to take it out Halloween night. haha very low light and kids that cant stand still while raiding candy was almost a joke. Some actually came out ok when I when to auto and changed the iso to 800.. As for sports mode if that is not enough for some people you can adjust it yourself and it should help. that and doing burst mode and you should get some good pics. As others stated the shutter can only do so much. keep toying with the camera and modes to find out which one to use in different situations.

And for god sakes dont give up on the note 4.. Recording in 4K and being able to rip a clean 8ish mp picture from ANYWHERE in that video is something beautiful. If I can find a better program to do this then vlc it will be even better.

looks like vlc will let you save the file as png which doesnt compress anything. My file came out at 13MB.. haha so it would be wise to use another program to compress a little back down to 4-5 unless you got plenary of space. Either way, nice to have

Last edited:

DakotaBoy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping lollipop will allow for some good third party camera options, that make up for whatever the Samsung engineers can't get right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781