11-06-2015 09:07 AM
55 123
tools
    Hey everyone. I've had my note 4 for about a week now and I can't take a decent pic. I know there are a few threads out there on this but has anyone found a fix?

Yes the plastic is off my camera. Close up shots are fine its anything farther than a close up shows up blurry if I move a tiny bit or what I'm taking a photo of moves a tiny bit while I'm taking the pic. I use my phones to take pics of my two year old whos never still. Prior to this I had a iphone 4s and 5s and that was never a issue. Photos were clear regardless of some movement. My last droid was a droid x and wanted a change from ios but this sucks. Ive tried all the modes and settings and the same result.

Yesterday I went to Verizon and received a new replacement because the employee there saw the issue. The replacement is doing the same thing. I called Verizon tech support they had me reset camera settings and no fix. Called Samsung tech support and they had me reset the phone to factory settings and the same. I'm still within the 14 day warranty through Verizon and I'm debating whether to go back to Apple.

I really like this phone but the camera is a deal breaker for me. Any advice?
    Pak Udom likes this.
    10-30-2014 08:39 AM
    Do you have any example pictures you can show us? Here are random ones I took that are good.

I don't take many. I know for moving objects sports mode helps a lot though.
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-1414672845007.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-1414672860788.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-1414672881697.jpg  
    10-30-2014 08:41 AM
    First post!
    I am in the same boat. This is my third android device (sg3, sg5, and now note 4) after having every apple phone up to 4s. i have a 2 year old who is constantly moving and his hands are always kinda blurry. grrrrr. now if he is sitting still then BAM excellent excellent photo!! im also a crossfit coach/bootcamp instructor so im always taking pix of people moving fast and sometimes in very low light (5am). ive tried all the modes. used google camera. no plastic cover on lens. im kinda sad about it actually. i use the stylus alot as i jot workout notes down quickly on site.
    this week im using my wifes iphone 6 plus this week and in my sport and fitness environment, the camera is great. no blurry hands. just wish samsung had faster shutter

outstanding phone everywhere else tho.
    10-30-2014 09:11 AM
    If you go to camera, then hit the mode button, and scroll to download, and get the sports mode. This will fix your problem. I have used it to take pictures of fast moving motorbikes and cars and they look like they are standing still.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-30-2014 09:21 AM
    Takes excellent pictures to me and I haven't even adjust the default settings yet.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-20141027_092635.jpg
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-20141026_172715.jpg
    1812dave likes this.
    10-30-2014 10:16 AM
    Those are great pics... Maybe I'm just not a great photographer her are a few I took this morning with my Note 4 and Iphone 5s. The first two are from the Iphone the second two are from the Note 4. I'm pretty sure the note was in auto for one and in sport for the other. Only problem with sport mode is that it only works in bright photos. I cant activate the flash.

On a side note when I hold the camera perfectly still and there is nothing moving in the shot, it takes amazing photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-iphone-5s_1.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-iphone-5s_2.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-note-4_2.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-note-4_1.jpg  
    10-30-2014 11:49 AM
    Sports mode hasn't done a thing for me. I too have a 2 1/2 year old and she wont sit there and wait for the Note 4 to focus. I tried sports mode and it looked exactly the same as the other. I took great pics on my S3 and the Nexus 5, but this i've struggled to get any success.
    10-30-2014 12:19 PM
    Sports mode hasn't done a thing for me. I too have a 2 1/2 year old and she wont sit there and wait for the Note 4 to focus. I tried sports mode and it looked exactly the same as the other. I took great pics on my S3 and the Nexus 5, but this i've struggled to get any success.
    Which carrier do you have? Is yours like the OP a Verizon phone?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-30-2014 12:26 PM
    Which carrier do you have? Is yours like the OP a Verizon phone?

Posted via Android Central App
    Mine is AT&T. The other problem I have along with some blur, is the pic looks great on my screen, but once I snap the photo the result is ALWAYS a few shades darker.
    10-30-2014 12:53 PM
    I just downloaded 'Sport" mode and it works well. Try also to turn off HDR as that might lower your shutter rate.

Finally, could you post the shutter speeds and f stops the camera is using? I don't seem to be able to get that from the photos posted here.
    10-30-2014 01:00 PM
    Here is the exif
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-screenshot_2014-10-30-13-18-35.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cannot take clear pictures-screenshot_2014-10-30-13-18-12.jpg  
    10-30-2014 01:29 PM
    Your exposure is 1/24 of a second. That is very hard to hold still even with image stabilization. You need to get that up, change your ISO to something higher than 160, like AUTO. More light, you need more light.

Check your exposure value, make sure it is zero or even a little positive.

Here is the exif
    10-30-2014 01:37 PM
    Also on a side note -- I always leave HDR mode on since it really doesn't take the phone any longer to process (usually -- unless you're in low light). It seems to help out .
    10-30-2014 01:39 PM
    I'm confused. Do I leave my phone on auto (like its been) or play with the settings. Iso, white value, ect.
    10-30-2014 01:51 PM
    Also on a side note -- I always leave HDR mode on since it really doesn't take the phone any longer to process (usually -- unless you're in low light). It seems to help out .
    Everyone else would disagree with you here as HDR ALWAYS makes the camera take longer and if he's having poor camera output, HDR is not going to help him. At all.
    1812dave likes this.
    10-30-2014 05:35 PM
    wow. 1/24th is TOO SLOW of a shutter speed. that's even worse than my Note 2 which will use 1/30th far too often. I hate it! granted, the N4 has optical stabilization, but that won't take care of SUBJECT MOTION--just a slightly shaky phone.
    10-30-2014 05:54 PM
    Here is the exif
    How do you get this data? I was looking for this when I first got this phone. I don't get much information at all. Do you need a different app?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    10-30-2014 05:56 PM
    I just looked at the EXIF it via windows / USB cable. So after playing with the ISO I found its too much of a pain to set up the ISO before I take a shot, and I'm only getting a slight improvement. The only thing that leaves me wondering is why can't the phone figure this out on Auto mode. If I really want to tinker with a camera, I'll break out the DSLR which I never really learned how to use correctly, but will compensate for my ignorance and take pretty good shots. I was hoping this would be a point and shoot.
    10-30-2014 06:23 PM
    I just looked at the EXIF it via windows / USB cable. So after playing with the ISO I found its too much of a pain to set up the ISO before I take a shot, and I'm only getting a slight improvement. The only thing that leaves me wondering is why can't the phone figure this out on Auto mode. If I really want to tinker with a camera, I'll break out the DSLR which I never really learned how to use correctly, but will compensate for my ignorance and take pretty good shots. I was hoping this would be a point and shoot.
    You will NEVER get anything close to DSLR picture quality with smartphone camera's beyond Nokia Lumina's. Methinks you are asking too much from a device that simply isn't made to the standards you want outa photographs
    1812dave likes this.
    10-30-2014 06:26 PM
    Not at all. I know the limitations on a phone camera vs an actual DSLR. I was just hoping to get clear, non-blurry photos without having to read a photos for dummies book. I hate to compare a Iphone on a android forum, but this is the only negative thing on this phone at this point compared to my old phone. Being a new / first time parent, I don't want to miss out on things because I need to tinker with the phones camera. Everything else is great. I was hoping this phone was defective and not normal to take pics like this out of the box. Thanks anyway guys. I appreciate everyone trying to troubleshoot this issue with me.
    10-30-2014 06:43 PM
    I don't know as that is totally true HothTron. I have a photo comparing the Note 4 and my DSLR and they both look quite good. It is all a function of lighting for this point and shoot sensor in the Note 4.

Attachment 141606
    Attachment 141607
    10-30-2014 06:48 PM
    First post!
    I am in the same boat. This is my third android device (sg3, sg5, and now note 4) after having every apple phone up to 4s. i have a 2 year old who is constantly moving and his hands are always kinda blurry. grrrrr. now if he is sitting still then BAM excellent excellent photo!! im also a crossfit coach/bootcamp instructor so im always taking pix of people moving fast and sometimes in very low light (5am). ive tried all the modes. used google camera. no plastic cover on lens. im kinda sad about it actually. i use the stylus alot as i jot workout notes down quickly on site.
    this week im using my wifes iphone 6 plus this week and in my sport and fitness environment, the camera is great. no blurry hands. just wish samsung had faster shutter

outstanding phone everywhere else tho.
    You got a youtube channel with your classes or how to for proper form?
    10-30-2014 06:57 PM
    I'm having the exact same issue as you are nate1821. I have tried everything and any small amount of movement in my pics comes out blurry. I did download a few other photo apps which seem to help but they limit the picture size and options. I am quite disappointed by this. Coming from a Droid Ultra I was expecting better. Maybe a software issue??
    10-30-2014 07:00 PM
    Here is the exif
    Where can I change shutter speed and aperture?
    10-30-2014 07:19 PM
    I don't know as that is totally true HothTron. I have a photo comparing the Note 4 and my DSLR and they both look quite good. It is all a function of lighting for this point and shoot sensor in the Note 4.

Attachment 141606
    Attachment 141607

Dunno what im looking at here but the 606 NOTE 4 picture looks horrible compared to the DSLR 607, not even remotely close.
    10-30-2014 07:23 PM
55 123