I am coming back to android after a long hiatus. I have had a windows phone since they first came out and loved my 1520 but the apps were not there(felt like a step child).

I was trying to figure out how to turn on hands free mode. I do a lot of driving and have built-in Bluetooth in my Camaro. I would like hands free listen and reply to texts as well via Bluetooth.

The windows phone did this amazing well. I was googling and found they used to have a hands free mode but it is no longer there. Is there a setting or an app anybody can recommend?

TIA
    10-30-2014 10:00 AM
    The Note 2 and 3 had hands free mode, but the Note 4 dropped that for Car Mode. Between that and also dropping desk dock mode, I'm about to go back to a Note 3.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-30-2014 10:40 AM
    Try driving mode. I use it every morning and afternoon on my commute. Works better than I thought it would.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-30-2014 12:33 PM
    I can't figure out how to use car mode, I have a new Chevy Spark with My Link and setting the Note 2 to hands free or driving mode or whatever it was worked with the My Link seamlessly. Now if I try to turn on Car Mode it just wants me to download a map and it's a European map which won't help me much in the US.

For now I'm just turning on bluetooth and that does connect for phone calls.
    10-30-2014 02:07 PM
    Try the "OK Google" features available with the Google Now functionality. You can do some of the things you're talking about with it.
    10-30-2014 02:14 PM
    I used the "Car Mode" for the Note 4 last Saturday, and it worked surprisingly well with my BT headset (LG Tones). It had better contact recognition than Google Now did for the same contacts. And the text message request and review worked very well too.
    10-30-2014 04:34 PM
    And us lucky AT&T Note 4 owners don't even get Car Mode: AT&T yanked it for a lousy app called DriveMode. It simply restricts what you can do driving (i.e., trying to launch any app leads to the DriveMode screen). Thank you so very much, AT&T!

Michael
    10-30-2014 05:10 PM
    I use Dragon from Nuance. Completely hands free although it takes some trial and error to train it. It works better with the Note 4 than it did my S3.
    10-30-2014 10:12 PM
    Hi PaulaO-

Will I be able to use a Galaxy Note4 completely hands-free with Dragon? Is the program Dragon Mobile Assistant, or the same Dragon I use on my laptop? I'm quadriplegic (from auto accident) and I'm seeking the most user-friendly option. Thanks!
    12-05-2014 04:04 PM
    I use Dragon from Nuance. Completely hands free although it takes some trial and error to train it. It works better with the Note 4 than it did my S3.
    Are you using a lock screen? If you are can you get Dragon to dial a phone # without unlocking the screen?
    12-05-2014 05:36 PM
    You know, I never thought about how helpful this would be for someone disabled. Now I am more pissed ATT removed it.
    PaulaO likes this.
    12-06-2014 12:37 AM
    Are you using a lock screen? If you are can you get Dragon to dial a phone # without unlocking the screen?
    Wow. Yeah, it did. I got her to call someone with the screen locked. Said the wake up command, she came on, and she dialed. She also sent a text.

Is that a good or bad thing??
    12-07-2014 12:32 AM
    Hi PaulaO-

Will I be able to use a Galaxy Note4 completely hands-free with Dragon? Is the program Dragon Mobile Assistant, or the same Dragon I use on my laptop? I'm quadriplegic (from auto accident) and I'm seeking the most user-friendly option. Thanks!
    It is very hands free. Completely? Not sure. And yes, it is Dragon Mobile Assistant by the same company that makes the desktop Dragon. I wish they could connect the two somehow. They're getting closer.
    12-07-2014 12:35 AM
    Wow. Yeah, it did. I got her to call someone with the screen locked. Said the wake up command, she came on, and she dialed. She also sent a text.

Is that a good or bad thing??
    I think it's a very good thing because it means you can make calls & send texts in your car and not have to touch (or even look) at the phone. I'm using a Plantronics Edge Bluetooth earpiece which I need to get replaced for other reasons and I can't make calls using it with the screen lock on. The lock stops the call from being dialed.

Are you using the fingerprint lock?
    12-07-2014 11:04 AM
    Will Dragon Mobile read texts to me as they come in or will I still have to read from my phone?
    12-08-2014 10:53 AM
    I use a PIN lock.

And it reads texts as they come in. You do not have to touch the screen. The reading of stuff out loud can be on all the time and not be dependent on the wake-up command which lessens battery drain.

I don't *think* you have to touch the screen to speak the reply. I keep meaning to test it but I usually just tap the "reply" button on its popup screen, speak the text, then tap send.
    12-08-2014 05:31 PM
    So far I have a real problem that my new note 4 doesn't have Hands Free Mode like my note 2. I depended on it all day at work getting texts and notifications etc. in my headset read to me while away from my phone. If anyone has a solution , I really want to know. The car mode doesn't replace it
    12-16-2014 08:42 PM