Issues Turning WiFi On..

o0Grinder0o

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
When going into Settings/WiFi in an effort to turn on WiFi when I get back to my house, nothing appears to happen.. In fact, when attempting to do this last night I actually had to restart my phone in order to get the WiFi setting screen to even load any info after sliding the bar to the "on" position. Trying to turn WiFi on now slides the bar from off to on but the bar never turns green and appears to freeze the WiFi setting screen. Anybody experiencing similar issues with WiFi? Had GS3 previously and never experienced anything like this, actually left the WiFi option on all day despite being on road for work most of the time. Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I see this issue crop up occasionally on the forums, and I don't think I've come across an easy solution short of a factory reset (which I think has helped some people).

Has the phone been dropped or had any trauma recently? If so, I'd wonder if maybe some connection came loose related to the wi-fi antenna.

o0Grinder0o

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
No, no drops or trauma. I just bought the phone 2 days ago and have not yet purchased a case (still debating whether or not I want to cover this thing as I love the looks of it) so I have been baby-ing it. Haha. Does a factory reset get rid of all of the customization I have done to the phone? I imagine that it would but I have never had to do one at this point so I am unfamiliar with what exactly is involved.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You might want to return it for an exchange while you have the chance.

Posted via Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Does a factory reset get rid of all of the customization I have done to the phone? I imagine that it would but I have never had to do one at this point so I am unfamiliar with what exactly is involved.

Yes, a factory data reset will restore the phone to a new out of the box state (software wise) and you will have to set it up again. If you are using the sync and backup options of your Google account and if you created or signed into a Samsung account and are using its backup options, much of your current setup will restore when you sign back into those accounts. But you will still have some settings to redo.

There is one other option you may consider trying before performing a full reset. You can wipe the cache partition. This will sometimes clear software issues. It does not delete any of your settings, stored data files or installed apps. It only takes a few moments to do and may be worth a try prior to a full reset. The procedure is - Power off your phone, then press and hold the Home, Volume up and Power buttons simultaneously (I usually press and hold the Home button, then the Volume up button and lastly the Power button - all must be continually held down), when your phone restarts and you see blue text appear in the upper left portion of the screen release all three buttons, your phone will boot into Recovery Mode, in a moment you will see a list of options in blue text in the upper left of the screen, scroll down the list using your volume button to navigate until "wipe cache partition" is highlighted, then press and release the Power button. It will only take a few seconds for the function to complete, when it is done you will see confirmation in green text in the lower left of the screen. You can then use your volume button to navigate to and highlight "reboot" and then press and release the Power button. Your phone will restart and you can test your wifi function to see if this cleared the issue.

o0Grinder0o

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help and suggestions. With this being a 2 day old device, I might just be making a trip back to Verizon to swap out devices as I agree that I shouldn't be having this issue with such a new device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad