03-04-2016 12:01 PM
57 123
tools
    I installed Watch On by Samsung because that is what my Note 3 used for the remote. Let me tell you if you think Smart Remote is good, you need to try Watch On. It makes Smart Remote look like a beta release.

-Shawn
    Noting the World One S-Pen at a Time
    What is the difference? I have always disabled Watch On, assuming it was useless bloat.
    11-01-2014 05:23 AM
    I installed Watch On by Samsung because that is what my Note 3 used for the remote. Let me tell you if you think Smart Remote is good, you need to try Watch On. It makes Smart Remote look like a beta release.

-Shawn
    I didn't even think about installing watch on, glad I seen your post. Watch on works better for dish network. It gives me the buttons for guide and DVR, where the one that came with the note 4 did not give me those buttons.

And I think the IR blaster works a lot better on the note 4 then the note 3, that's great.
    sforsyth01 likes this.
    11-01-2014 08:42 AM
    Which app works better with directv?
    11-01-2014 02:16 PM
    Which app works better with directv?
    Watch On works better with DirecTV. Guide and remote all in one app.

-Shawn
    11-01-2014 06:01 PM
    What is the difference? I have always disabled Watch On, assuming it was useless bloat.
    Watch On ties in better to your guide, favorites, etc. that you setup on your own TV box. And it does a great job in suggesting shows you like. All you have to do to access the remote in watch on is click the little button.

Above all, I think the UI in Watch On is nicer and more refined. Smart Remote is more like the original Watch On app from a year ago. The new Watch On is awesome.

-Shawn
    LaTuFu likes this.
    11-01-2014 06:03 PM
    How do you get rid of channels you don't want to see on guide on smart remote app. I checked all channels I like but others are still there. I know it's silly but just wondered if there is a way

Posted via Android Central App
    11-02-2014 06:11 PM
    i had this on my black note 4, i particularly liked that i could have the notification remote, which had a button to enter the full app. i changed to the white note 4 and the setup process and the notification remote looks totally different. i tried both downgrading and upgrading, but i cant get the button to enter the full app in the notification anymore. anyone have any ideas?

edit: looks like my remotes are missing most of their functions now too. Number keys completely gone, no dvr list button anymore :/ wtf?
    11-04-2014 03:53 PM
    This app is great, but its got me thinking about what else might be out there. Id love something that would mimic my Harmony One with the device list and Activities. Does anyone know of a more comprehensive solution that's out there? I've done a little searching, and nothing has that wow factor that I'm looking for.
    Harmony Smart Control - Remote for iPad, iPhone & Android - Logitech
    11-04-2014 04:11 PM
    Thanks, but I was looking for something with a smaller footprint. Ive already got a Harmony One, 900, ps3 dongle, slingbox emitters, 4x4 HDMI matrix, 1x4 HDMI splitter, 3 to 1 HDMI switch, 2 IR repeater systems, and an RF repeater system (Im probably forgetting a few of them). Most of my components are smothered with ir emitters (granted they are all being accessed from one single location which is nice). I just want something that can send signals through my existing setup. Its already confusing enough to put it mildly.
    11-04-2014 04:48 PM
    Tried watch on as recommended. The only thing that was better was the ability to slide between pages. However I found that it was the slow. Felt like I was using the original galaxy. I find smart remote much quicker even if it's UI is a little less intuitive.
    11-06-2014 09:31 PM
    I tried both. Not sure which one I like best yet. However, both apps will not let me control volume on the blueray player. When pressing the volume button it defaults to the TV volume control instead of the blueray player. This is the only issue I have and it is a bit annoying because while the blueray is playing the TV volume is disabled as the sound is piped through the blueray player and its included speakers not the tv.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-07-2014 07:21 AM
    What is the difference?
    Watch on - Samsung
    Smart Remote - Peel
    01-11-2015 03:03 AM
    I couldn't get it to link with my TV. Now I'm disappointed that I didn't get it to work.

Hopefully the support email I sent will result in a solution.

I noticed that it wants to link to the TV. For those of us on DirecTV, it would be nice if it controlled the box. Seems to me that it would be easier for Peel to accomplish this, too. Is this available and I just didn't play with the settings enough?
    I have directv and it works great for the box and the tv

01-11-2015 05:03 AM

-Shawn
    Smart Remote actually kept jamming my receiver box but Samsung WatchOn worked like a charm.
    01-11-2015 07:08 AM
    I have directv and it works great for the box and the tv
    Yeah I sorted that out a few weeks ago. Also got the original issue with the TV sorted out with Peel Support. They were a little slow to respond, but the answer got me on track.
    01-14-2015 12:05 PM
    Maybe I'm not doing it right, but do I need to have a cable provider to use Smart Remote? I have Hulu Plus and Netflix, and didn't see an option without a cable provider. Is there a way around that? I just want to turn the TV on and off and control the volume.
    05-29-2015 02:44 PM
    I use an app called Galaxy Universal Remote. It allows for custom programming, macros, and layout options. Also has widgets. It doesn't include TV program listings, but I don't need that function anyway. Developer is quick to respond if you need additional codes for device functions.
    05-29-2015 02:57 PM
    Thanks, I'll give that a try
    05-29-2015 04:01 PM
    Set it up. And go to walmart and start turning off the tvs lol.

05-29-2015 04:03 PM
    Watch on - Samsung
    Smart Remote - Peel
    Watch on is actually made by peel also.

05-29-2015 04:04 PM
    Had to download Watch On and when opening the app and selecting my zip code and provider I get a notification that the service is ending 6-15-15 and it recommends to use Smart Remote by Peel. In in the Seattle area with Comcast.
    05-29-2015 04:13 PM
    I use this app all the time and love it. I don't mind the software that Samsung puts in their phones as I find most of them useful. But I hate the bloatware that AT&T puts in and have disabled everyone of their apps except the MyAT&T app.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4
    mountainbikermark likes this.
    05-29-2015 04:23 PM
    Maybe I'm not doing it right, but do I need to have a cable provider to use Smart Remote? I have Hulu Plus and Netflix, and didn't see an option without a cable provider. Is there a way around that? I just want to turn the TV on and off and control the volume.
    You can use it. Scroll down when picking your cable provider and choose "antenna" or whatever it is.

You can choose a provider though, that info is just for the channel guide. Off and on doesn't matter what cable company.
    05-29-2015 07:17 PM
    Had to download Watch On and when opening the app and selecting my zip code and provider I get a notification that the service is ending 6-15-15 and it recommends to use Smart Remote by Peel. In in the Seattle area with Comcast.
    Watch on is made by the same developer as this app on the phones now. It basically looks the same.
    05-29-2015 07:19 PM
    Id love to see them add recommendations for things to watch on pay streaming services like Hulu Plus, Netflix, HBO Now, etc like Buddytv did (no longer available on Android)
    05-31-2015 03:11 AM
57 123