Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Smart Remote: Actually tried a piece of bloatware and love it!

Gumbyshu

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm not doing it right, but do I need to have a cable provider to use Smart Remote? I have Hulu Plus and Netflix, and didn't see an option without a cable provider. Is there a way around that? I just want to turn the TV on and off and control the volume.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called Galaxy Universal Remote. It allows for custom programming, macros, and layout options. Also has widgets. It doesn't include TV program listings, but I don't need that function anyway. Developer is quick to respond if you need additional codes for device functions.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Had to download Watch On and when opening the app and selecting my zip code and provider I get a notification that the service is ending 6-15-15 and it recommends to use Smart Remote by Peel. In in the Seattle area with Comcast.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I use this app all the time and love it. I don't mind the software that Samsung puts in their phones as I find most of them useful. But I hate the bloatware that AT&T puts in and have disabled everyone of their apps except the MyAT&T app.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm not doing it right, but do I need to have a cable provider to use Smart Remote? I have Hulu Plus and Netflix, and didn't see an option without a cable provider. Is there a way around that? I just want to turn the TV on and off and control the volume.

You can use it. Scroll down when picking your cable provider and choose "antenna" or whatever it is.

You can choose a provider though, that info is just for the channel guide. Off and on doesn't matter what cable company.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Had to download Watch On and when opening the app and selecting my zip code and provider I get a notification that the service is ending 6-15-15 and it recommends to use Smart Remote by Peel. In in the Seattle area with Comcast.

Watch on is made by the same developer as this app on the phones now. It basically looks the same.

trekgraham

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Id love to see them add recommendations for things to watch on pay streaming services like Hulu Plus, Netflix, HBO Now, etc like Buddytv did (no longer available on Android)

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Smart Remote: Actually tried a piece of bloatware and love it!

It was much better before it had all the garbage ad banners. But I agree that the IR is much improved on the Note 4.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I use this app all the time and love it. I don't mind the software that Samsung puts in their phones as I find most of them useful. But I hate the bloatware that AT&T puts in and have disabled everyone of their apps except the MyAT&T app.

Ditto.
I've got all AT&T bloatware disabled except myAT&T, my only caveat being I also have all Google bloatware disabled except Play and Gmail. I find much Samsung bloatware pretty useful and am bummed that they are doing away with their Wallet app.
I've been using their remote app since getting my Note8 well before getting this Note4.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Ditto.
I've got all AT&T bloatware disabled except myAT&T, my only caveat being I also have all Google bloatware disabled except Play and Gmail. I find much Samsung bloatware pretty useful and am bummed that they are doing away with their Wallet app.
I've been using their remote app since getting my Note8 well before getting this Note4.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Yeah I also disabled all of Googles bloatware except Google Play and Gmail. I wish we could completely uninstall all bloatware without rooting our phones.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I've tried the Peel remote before. Can't say I liked it at all. I did try the Smart Remote and all in all it's not too bad, but I've got Logitech Harmony remotes throughout the house and prefer them over using my phone. Harmony remotes are amazeballs. Sometimes I do pull up the smart remote app when my g/f is watching one of her shows and I'll change the channel on her while I'm in the kitchen. I've been doing this for almost a year. She still doesn't know it's me. She thinks our DirecTV receiver has some sort of random glitch. :D