Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Alarm won't ring in silent

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Alarm won't ring in silent

Well, my GN4 is playing the alarm sound even if the phone is in Mute mode. If I have an alarm turned on, I would definitely want it to go off, no matter what the phone's sound setting is at (though blocking mode could also work during the hours set to block calls and notifications). Reesh, you're sure the alarm is "on," right? (showing green like the 6:48 alarm in this screenshot) - sorry, I don't mean to insult you, just trying to eliminate all possibilities . . . .
View attachment 144885
Yes. The alarm goes off but there is no sound. It shows up on the screen to snooze or dismiss, no sound. I have checked thru all the settings, cleared cache/settings, restarted, still nothing. I've uninstalled several apps still no dice! Gah the trouble shooting continues.

From my smokin' hot Note 4

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Here are my settings. I don't get it...
37683d5888ee51038ebf5a98ddcea7a5.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414763922846.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414763922846.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 43
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414763934415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414763934415.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 41
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414763943558.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414763943558.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 44

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Okay, try this and see if it works. Instead of just putting 'Sound Mode' on mute, put it on completely silent (no mute, no vibrate). See if that makes a difference. I know with some apps, they won't work properly unless vibrate is off as well.

Unless that's what it's in, then I have no idea. I don't have access to my Note currently....

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Okay, try this and see if it works. Instead of just putting 'Sound Mode' on mute, put it on completely silent (no mute, no vibrate). See if that makes a difference. I know with some apps, they won't work properly unless vibrate is off as well.

Unless that's what it's in, then I have no idea. I don't have access to my Note currently....
Ok explain to me what you mean. When I have it in loud and slide it down it just goes into vibrate and it still didn't work. The only sound modes I have are sound vibrate and mute. I wonder if it was silent before?

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Like I said, I don't have my Note available at the moment so I can't quite remember the quick buttons on the notification window.

But, try first turning the sound on, then using the notification window quick button to set it to the non-vibrating mute (don't use the volume sliders or side buttons), and see if the alarm works. If not, I've got no idea. And if that's how you've been turning on the mute, then I *really* have no idea why your Note is being so bratty. I'm out of ideas.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Like I said, I don't have my Note available at the moment so I can't quite remember the quick buttons on the notification window.

But, try first turning the sound on, then using the notification window quick button to set it to the non-vibrating mute (don't use the volume sliders or side buttons), and see if the alarm works. If not, I've got no idea. And if that's how you've been turning on the mute, then I *really* have no idea why your Note is being so bratty. I'm out of ideas.
Yea That's exactly what I've been doing. But I'm wondering if it has always said mute and not silent. I hope it works itself out I don't want to factory reset because of this.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Yea That's exactly what I've been doing. But I'm wondering if it has always said mute and not silent. I hope it works itself out I don't want to factory reset because of this.

Okay, that's how I set my phone to mute/silent as well.

I really don't know about the terminology, its not on a menu I look at very often/almost never - I was just going by the screenshots. 'Mute' is obviously the title of the 'no sound/no vibrate' choice I was thinking of. Yeah, I've got no clue at all. If I think of something or find something in the settings, I'll post here. Hopefully, though, someone else will have more ideas.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

I hate to state the obvious but all else has failed. On the actual alarm setting page, you do have the slider on volume up, right? That is what always has set the alarm volume before. If I turn that down, the rest of the sound sliders do not move.
Good Luck!

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I hate to state the obvious but all else has failed. On the actual alarm setting page, you do have the slider on volume up, right? That is what always has set the alarm volume before. If I turn that down, the rest of the sound sliders do not move.
Good Luck!
Yes. All the way up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414772661604.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414772661604.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 45

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Weird.... I put my phone on mute and the alarm most definitely rings

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Weird.... I put my phone on mute and the alarm most definitely rings

Mine did too until like Wednesday. I uninstalled all apps that I installed til now. I'll see if anyone else has suggestions otherwise I'm factory resetting.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Mine did too until like Wednesday. I uninstalled all apps that I installed til now. I'll see if anyone else has suggestions otherwise I'm factory resetting.

Yeah I have had weird issues in the past only solved by factory data reset. Hopefully you can fix it without one though. Or consider using a third party alarm

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I have had weird issues in the past only solved by factory data reset. Hopefully you can fix it without one though. Or consider using a third party alarm

That's my only problem I really don't want to use a third party one. I have in the past but keep coming back. I'm already backing up my data perhaps this will fix a few other problems too.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Try wiping the cache partition before you factory reset, it may work and if it does would save you a lot of time.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

this might not work for everyone, but to be SURE that my alarm will work during the night (wake up alarm) I just put the phone on Airplane and make sure all the volumes (all 7) are on MAX. that way there will be no mistakes.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Try wiping the cache partition before you factory reset, it may work and if it does would save you a lot of time.
I had already done that...twice. lol I already factory reset and it worked. Oddly enough my screen also seems sharper lol. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

This is extremely frustrating. I think I found a setting earlier today that I was going to suggest checking on, but now, I can't for the life of me remember where I found it. Hopefully I'll remember it. Right now, I can't even remember how I found it.