Switch Runtime System from Dalvik to ART?

bmuc1017

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am back to android after several years. I have been an iPhone user for a while. I recently just got the Note 4 and I am very impressed. The only thing I am worried about is after sometime if the OS will start to lag. Any suggestions on how to keep everything running smoothly?

Lastly, my buddy who has a Nexus told me to switch the Runtime System from Dalvik to ART. Has anybody noticed any improvements on the battery life or applications?

Thanks for the help!

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Seems pretty good so far, but I can't really comment on battery life yet as I haven't been using ART long enough. Apps do open pretty snappily. The only issue I've noticed is that the system keeps 'updating apps' every time I restart. I think that eventually settles down, but its my initial go at ART.

Also, there's no reason not to switch as you can 1) easily switch back if you want and 2) ART is the future of Android as it's the only runtime in Lollipop, no more Dalvik.

iamdld

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I switched back to Davlik. Like Trigati mentioned the system recompiled the apps on every restart. This was a major pain and I won't be switching back until it is corrected.

bmuc1017

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. Yeah I noticed the same thing on how it recompiles apps on my restart. I really don't like that. I guess I will switch back because I do like to restart my phone often to make it fresh. Any idea when we will be getting Lollipop?

scorpio001

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
All apps working for me except for S Planner, it kept crashing. Had to go back to Dalvik cos i use S Planner a lot.

Overall the device runs bit faster.
Unsure about battery life though.
Reboot time takes a bit longer in ART. No recompiling of apps though.
My Note 4 recompiled the apps only once.

If S Planner worked i would've stayed using ART.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz