12-03-2014 06:27 PM
61 123
tools
    I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 and it can handle anything I throw at it. It's a bit pricey but worth it!
    Cool thanks man, I'll check it out.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-01-2014 05:53 PM
    At first I was going to chime in that my wifi is really terrible. I switched over to another router and now it's solid. Originally was connected to default ATT router that was dropping out and hanging out in 1-2 bars. Plugged in an older linksys and boom full bars. So yea before writing off that the wifi is bad, check the other hardware first.
    11-01-2014 06:50 PM
    Something really weird happened last night on my phone's Wi-Fi. When I tried to stream a video, YouTube would say that the connection to the server was lost or that an error occurred. And then when I tried to load a website, Chrome said I was offline. These all happened while the phone was clearly still on the university Wi-Fi network.

So I turned Wi-Fi off and on again, and the connection was restored, but only for about 10-15 minutes. After that time, the same thing happened. I decided to leave it like that and go to bed. When I woke up this morning, I saw that I had an unread e-mail, telling me that at some point in time, the Wi-Fi connection decided to behave again.

And as of this morning, the Wi-Fi is working just fine. But I couldn't tell whether that little problem could have been a network problem or a phone (software/hardware) problem, as turning Wi-Fi off and on again seemed to solve the problem, if only temporarily at first. Please note that my Note 2 held the Wi-Fi and Internet connection during that time while my Note 4 was saying I was offline even with Wi-Fi connected.

Does anyone want to chime in on this?
    11-02-2014 08:54 AM
    My wireless connectivity had degraded to the point of uselessness within the first week of ownership. I tried it on both my home and office networks and while it always said I was connected, no data was being downloaded. It had worked flawlessly before that.

I did some research and found a tip for Note 3 users (apparently it had issues as well) and it worked like a charm for me. The verbiage used in the Note 3 was a little different than the 4, but it apparently relates to the same particular setting.

Go into SETTINGS, then under WI-FI click the 3-dot advanced portion in the upper right section of the screen and make sure ALWAYS ALLOW SCANNING is unchecked. Mine was checked by default.

It seems to have solved my problem, though I'm not exactly sure why/how.
    11-02-2014 01:47 PM
    My wireless connectivity had degraded to the point of uselessness within the first week of ownership. I tried it on both my home and office networks and while it always said I was connected, no data was being downloaded. It had worked flawlessly before that.

I did some research and found a tip for Note 3 users (apparently it had issues as well) and it worked like a charm for me. The verbiage used in the Note 3 was a little different than the 4, but it apparently relates to the same particular setting.

Go into SETTINGS, then under WI-FI click the 3-dot advanced portion in the upper right section of the screen and make sure ALWAYS ALLOW SCANNING is unchecked. Mine was checked by default.

It seems to have solved my problem, though I'm not exactly sure why/how.
    Now that you mention it, I also wonder as well why and how turning off the "Always allow scanning" solves the problem we mentioned. I'm not sure, but I think turning it off solved it for me too. I now have reliable (but still quite slow) Wi-Fi that doesn't drop the Internet connection.

It also makes me feel better how that tells me there is nothing wrong with my phone in terms of hardware problems. At least, I hope so.
    11-02-2014 01:53 PM
    Guys, I made an important discovery! (I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I'm just throwing it out there for the uninformed.)

The Wi-Fi antenna is located near the top of the phone near the camera! I found this out when trying to watch a YouTube video lying down. Holding the top of the phone with my left hand, I noticed the video kept buffering. When I let go of that part of the phone (laying it down or just holding the bottom of the phone), the buffering resumes like normal without the video stopping.

Want more proof? Look at the two photos. One is with my hand on the bottom of the phone, and one is with my hand on the top. You can clearly see the Wi-Fi signal degradation when I'm holding the top of the phone. This is what contributes to slow Wi-Fi speeds.

Remember antennagate from 2010? Looks like a repeat of that here! But even my Note 2's Wi-Fi suffered from the exact same hand position, which goes to show that all smartphones suffer from antennagate, as Steve Jobs said.

In case you can't make out the text in the photos, I'll clarify some of them.

The one on the top (stronger signal):

Percent: 46%
    WiFi speed: 26 Mbps (it also jumps up to 39 Mbps at times when the signal is around here)
    WiFi strength: -75 dBm, 19 ASU

The one on the bottom (weaker signal):

Percent: 31%
    WiFi speed: 6 Mbps
    WiFi strength: -86 dBm, 13 ASU
    Attached Thumbnails Mediocre Wi-Fi performance-note_20141102_154144_01.jpg   Mediocre Wi-Fi performance-note_20141102_153923_01.jpg  
    11-02-2014 02:46 PM
    11-03-2014 12:49 AM
    I have lousy WiFi speeds also.

-How do you switch between ART and Dalvik?
    -How do you switch between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz?
    11-03-2014 08:23 AM
    Guys, I made an important discovery! (I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I'm just throwing it out there for the uninformed.)

The Wi-Fi antenna is located near the top of the phone near the camera! I found this out when trying to watch a YouTube video lying down. Holding the top of the phone with my left hand, I noticed the video kept buffering. When I let go of that part of the phone (laying it down or just holding the bottom of the phone), the buffering resumes like normal without the video stopping.

Want more proof? Look at the two photos. One is with my hand on the bottom of the phone, and one is with my hand on the top. You can clearly see the Wi-Fi signal degradation when I'm holding the top of the phone. This is what contributes to slow Wi-Fi speeds.

Remember antennagate from 2010? Looks like a repeat of that here! But even my Note 2's Wi-Fi suffered from the exact same hand position, which goes to show that all smartphones suffer from antennagate, as Steve Jobs said.

In case you can't make out the text in the photos, I'll clarify some of them.

The one on the top (stronger signal):

Percent: 46%
    WiFi speed: 26 Mbps (it also jumps up to 39 Mbps at times when the signal is around here)
    WiFi strength: -75 dBm, 19 ASU

The one on the bottom (weaker signal):

Percent: 31%
    WiFi speed: 6 Mbps
    WiFi strength: -86 dBm, 13 ASU
    Yep. The antenna's for the phone are located on the top and bottom (those white marks you see on the top and bottom are the indicators) so holding your hand around them will cause signal loss.
    11-03-2014 09:17 AM
    Oh, I was wondering what those white marks were for! Now we know! How did you know about that?
    11-03-2014 09:19 AM
    Oh, I was wondering what those white marks were for! Now we know! How did you know about that?
    I learned them when on of our mods (dpham) posted the filings for the Note 4 as they went through their normal approval process (they show the internals on a diagram) -- So I figured it out then .
    11-03-2014 09:21 AM
    I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but have ANY of you read the original post in detail? I appreciate your time to post on here, but posting about what speeds you get don't help me at all.
    Maybe you just don't get that your Note my have a particular issue no one else is seeing? So instead of sticking to your blanket statement, think it just might be your particular device.
    11-03-2014 09:47 AM
    Err...that's pretty bad news, isn't it? What does that mean for cases? Surely, cases cover the top of the phone.
    11-03-2014 09:53 AM
    I learned them when on of our mods (dpham) posted the filings for the Note 4 as they went through their normal approval process (they show the internals on a diagram) -- So I figured it out then .
    Can you please provide me the link for that? I'm kind of interested in it now.
    11-03-2014 09:54 AM
    Err...that's pretty bad news, isn't it? What does that mean for cases? Surely, cases cover the top of the phone.
    No it is fine. Humans can mess with signals -- Cases do not. An example of this is remember the bunny ears on TVs? Remember if you were getting a fuzzy picture and you went to adjust it you could grab the antenna and it would get a little better? Same with Cell Phones except the opposite since you're covering the whole thing with your hand -- so you block the signal. Cases do not cause this to happen.
    11-03-2014 10:00 AM
    I have lousy WiFi speeds also.

-How do you switch between ART and Dalvik?
    -How do you switch between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz?
    Ok I find out that you can change the Dalvik to ART in the developer options>>Runtime. But how do you change the GHz from 5.0 to 2.4?
    11-03-2014 10:05 AM
    Ok I find out that you can change the Dalvik to ART in the developer options>>Runtime. But how do you change the GHz from 5.0 to 2.4?
    @ Nitro - 5.0 to 2.4 GHz is controlled by the network you're connecting to. Such as 2.4 GHz is commonly used for most wireless (b/g/n) and 5 GHz is usually used for the AC standard. You would have to check your network to see if your router can even support a 5 GHz network.
    Nitro211K likes this.
    11-03-2014 10:07 AM
    I am having No problems with my WiFi at all. I am on Century Link. It also work great on the Network at Church and at work.
    11-03-2014 10:13 AM
    No it is fine. Humans can mess with signals -- Cases do not. An example of this is remember the bunny ears on TVs? Remember if you were getting a fuzzy picture and you went to adjust it you could grab the antenna and it would get a little better? Same with Cell Phones except the opposite since you're covering the whole thing with your hand -- so you block the signal. Cases do not cause this to happen.
    Ah, makes sense. Is it because our magnetic field is interfering with the radio frequency?
    11-03-2014 10:28 AM
    @ Nitro - 5.0 to 2.4 GHz is controlled by the network you're connecting to. Such as 2.4 GHz is commonly used for most wireless (b/g/n) and 5 GHz is usually used for the AC standard. You would have to check your network to see if your router can even support a 5 GHz network.
    My network router (comcast) only has the b/g/n option, no AC. and I assume that the Note 4 has 5GHz as default, this is why I get 50mbps when I am next to the router, and 4mbps when I am in another part of the house?
    11-03-2014 10:30 AM
    My network router (comcast) only has the b/g/n option, no AC. and I assume that the Note 4 has 5GHz as default, this is why I get 50mbps when I am next to the router, and 4mbps when I am in another part of the house?
    The router they gave you probably only operates on 2.4 GHz. The Note 4 isn't set to anything -- It just uses the 2.4 or 5 GHz network that it is connected to -- This is controlled by the router and not the phone.

The router they gave you probably doesn't have good signal range / penetration and that is why when you're next to the router you get good speeds but when in other parts of the house interference / walls drop the strength of the signal which drops the speed as well.
    11-03-2014 10:46 AM
    Ah, makes sense. Is it because our magnetic field is interfering with the radio frequency?
    Exactly .
    11-03-2014 10:46 AM

Really weird that my download speeds are so much worse than upload.
    11-03-2014 11:10 AM
    Before I got my Note 4, I had a Note 2 on AT&T and I still have it. Comparing the Wi-Fi performance between the two phones, I noticed how much weaker the Wi-Fi performance of the Note 4 is. I did a series of speed tests, and I was able to confirm that the Note 2 definitely had a better Wi-Fi chip than the Note 4.

I live in a 6-floor university dorm that has one router on the 2nd floor. But I can get a signal in my room on my phones, both of which get anywhere from 1-3 bars of Wi-Fi when I'm in my room. I get around the same speeds when I'm standing right under the router (the Note 2 still outperforms the Note 4). Download speeds on the campus network these days ranged anywhere from 0.8 to 16 mbps. I kid you not; speeds were very inconsistent even when doing speed tests on both phones. (Upload speeds were blazingly fast on both phones.)

In real-world testing, I have tested streaming two YouTube videos (1 short and 1 long) and downloading a large app (~700 MB) from the Play Store. They are streaming the same videos and downloading the same app. And this is where things take a weird turn:

Directly under the router, the Note 4 buffers the videos much quicker than the Note 2, but it downloads the app slower. The opposite is true for the Note 2 (it buffers slower but downloads faster). Away from the router in my room, however, the Note 2 consistently downloads and buffers faster than the Note 4. When streaming the video, the Note 4 actually keeps stopping the videos to buffer, and the download hangs often and starts back up downloading anywhere between 60-200 KB.

Are any of you experiencing similar situations? Is my Note 4's Wi-Fi chip defective? What is so different about the Note 4 that its Wi-Fi performance is inferior to the Note 2? I'll provide more details about my settings later.

In case things like these matter: the routers that my school uses are Cisco ceiling routers. They operate on 802.11n dual-band. (I could tell it was dual-band because my Note 4 could connect to either of them at will.)
    Putting your tin foil hat on should give you better WiFi reception on your Note 4.
    11-03-2014 11:20 AM
    The router they gave you probably only operates on 2.4 GHz. The Note 4 isn't set to anything -- It just uses the 2.4 or 5 GHz network that it is connected to -- This is controlled by the router and not the phone.

The router they gave you probably doesn't have good signal range / penetration and that is why when you're next to the router you get good speeds but when in other parts of the house interference / walls drop the strength of the signal which drops the speed as well.
    That makes sense, but why is the S4 able to give me a 14mbps while the Note 4 give me 4mbps in the same spot of the house? I guess I would have to go get a good repeater (any recommendations)?
    11-03-2014 11:24 AM
61 123