Mediocre Wi-Fi performance

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Before I got my Note 4, I had a Note 2 on AT&T and I still have it. Comparing the Wi-Fi performance between the two phones, I noticed how much weaker the Wi-Fi performance of the Note 4 is. I did a series of speed tests, and I was able to confirm that the Note 2 definitely had a better Wi-Fi chip than the Note 4.

I live in a 6-floor university dorm that has one router on the 2nd floor. But I can get a signal in my room on my phones, both of which get anywhere from 1-3 bars of Wi-Fi when I'm in my room. I get around the same speeds when I'm standing right under the router (the Note 2 still outperforms the Note 4). Download speeds on the campus network these days ranged anywhere from 0.8 to 16 mbps. I kid you not; speeds were very inconsistent even when doing speed tests on both phones. (Upload speeds were blazingly fast on both phones.)

In real-world testing, I have tested streaming two YouTube videos (1 short and 1 long) and downloading a large app (~700 MB) from the Play Store. They are streaming the same videos and downloading the same app. And this is where things take a weird turn:

Directly under the router, the Note 4 buffers the videos much quicker than the Note 2, but it downloads the app slower. The opposite is true for the Note 2 (it buffers slower but downloads faster). Away from the router in my room, however, the Note 2 consistently downloads and buffers faster than the Note 4. When streaming the video, the Note 4 actually keeps stopping the videos to buffer, and the download hangs often and starts back up downloading anywhere between 60-200 KB.

Are any of you experiencing similar situations? Is my Note 4's Wi-Fi chip defective? What is so different about the Note 4 that its Wi-Fi performance is inferior to the Note 2? I'll provide more details about my settings later.

In case things like these matter: the routers that my school uses are Cisco ceiling routers. They operate on 802.11n dual-band. (I could tell it was dual-band because my Note 4 could connect to either of them at will.)

Last edited:

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
re: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Wi-Fi performance sucks!

How is the network performance comparatively between the two devices> Maybe it is not the Wi-Fi chip but the general level of overhead for the N4 vs the N2. I have no way of knowing. But it has been opined that there is more overhead just for the big display among other things.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Not exactly sure what overhead was even after looking it up or how it would apply to the Note 4 if at all. And I did provide a detailed comparison between the two in the original post.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Coming fro. The HTC m7, the WiFi performance had been stellar for me

Posted via AC app on the NOTE 4

iSpark

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I returned my Note 4 to AT&T mainly for this reason, WiFi really was a let down. I also returned it for random reboots. :-\
It seems the Note 4 is a hit or miss depending on what day it was made. :eek:

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Well I am not using the term exactly as it is intended. But there is a good deal of the available horsepower in the N4 going to driving all those pixels to the screen just as an example. Maybe that has an impact on the data processing and maybe it is the data processing that you are seeing and not the signal processing. This is real time right. So your N4 is trying to download and then drive media to the display.

That is why I asked about the comparative Network performance. If the same can be said N4/N2 for the network performance then it makes it more difficult to point to the Wi-Fi chip as the culprit.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

It's really frustrating how an otherwise awesome phone has mediocre Wi-Fi performance. All I want to know is why there is such a big difference in speeds between the two phones and why there are differences even within different tasks like downloading an app or streaming a video.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Note 4 WiFi is far from mediocre performance - mine works flawlessly. A few complaints on this site, out of over 5 million sold, does not make for mediocre performance...

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

I agree it's not mediocre when I'm close to the router. But what I'm trying to say here is why there is a big difference in speeds on the Note 4 vs. the Note 2 when I'm away from the router but still connected to it. I'm not even getting a tenth of what the Note 2 is getting in download speeds according to testmy.net. The problem is that the progress bar frequently hangs during the speed test.

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Wifi is working great for me... pulling 75-100mbps on my Cox Internet 100mbps service.

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

I get close to 20mbps down/2.5 up which is what I pay for from TWC (the ONLY option in Cincinnati) on my Note 4. That is coming from my bedroom and the router is in the living room.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but have ANY of you read the original post in detail? I appreciate your time to post on here, but posting about what speeds you get don't help me at all.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but have ANY of you read the original post in detail? I appreciate your time to post on here, but posting about what speeds you get don't help me at all.

I think what people are getting at is it may be that particular unit that's the problem, NOT the note 4 line. We are all getting outstanding WiFi signal and speeds from the same phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

I think what people are getting at is it may be that particular unit that's the problem, NOT the note 4 line. We are all getting outstanding WiFi signal and speeds from the same phone.

Precisely. It could be your specific phone OR it could be your university's internet. I either had really fast internet during my time at Ohio University or I had really really slow speeds.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Yes. There may be something wrong with your device.

But it is also very likely that your school wifi network is a possibility. 1 WAP for a 6 floor dorm? That's ridiculous. You might be experiencing issues with performance simply due to traffic on the network.

WiFi performance on mine has been nothing short of excellent. It has performed flawlessly on every network I use. It seems to have a stronger antenna than my S4.

You really need to test the wifi on both phones in an area with a properly configured wifi network, with verifiable connection speed, before throwing your device under the bus. Regardless of the manufacturer.

Last edited:

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

The WiFi on the Note 4 works great for how I use it. You are apparently stuck with trying to get a WiFi signal "in a 6-floor university dorm that has one router on the 2nd floor," so I understand how any differences that are perceived between two phones may be significant to you. But I think that is at the extreme end of bad or questionable WiFi configurations, not really relevant to the vast majority of users, and not a sufficient basis to broadly proclaim, "Wi-Fi performance sucks!" Just my two cents.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Yes. I read it.

You have to understand how wifi works. What's the routers capabilities? Is it an AC router? Or is it just a/b/g/n? What channel it set at? Are you using 5GHz or the 2.4GHz band? Set for both? The note 2 only goes to a/b/g/n using 2.4GHz while the N4 uses a/b/g/n/ac or a combination thereof. 2.4GHz band has longer range while 5GHz is for short range but is faster because of the way it uses bandwidth. None of this you specified in your OP.

There are so many factors that can impede performance of any wifi device. My guess is that being in a dorm, everyone is competing for bandwidth and is using the same settings as your note 4.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Below is an example of mine. The first one is right next to the router... The other is across the house in my room.

**Note** My roommate is even streaming to the Chromecast (Netflix) and his gf on her tablet doing whatever.

Attachments

• 1414851988692.jpg
    1414851988692.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 1414851997767.jpg
    1414851997767.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 56

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Yes. I read it.

You have to understand how wifi works. What's the routers capabilities? Is it an AC router? Or is it just a/b/g/n? What channel it set at? Are you using 5GHz or the 2.4GHz band? Set for both? The note 2 only goes to a/b/g/n using 2.4GHz while the N4 uses a/b/g/n/ac or a combination thereof. 2.4GHz band has longer range while 5GHz is for short range but is faster because of the way it uses bandwidth. None of this you specified in your OP.

There are so many factors that can impede performance of any wifi device. My guess is that being in a dorm, everyone is competing for bandwidth and is using the same settings as your note 4.

And now that you mention it, here's where I'll chime in on the details of my Wi-Fi connection. This is straight from the Service Mode (*#0011#) and going to WiFi.

State: Connected
SSID: [name of network]
AP MAC: [string of alphanumeric characters]
BSS CH: 1 [Frequency: 2412 MHz]* (see notes at the bottom)
WSEC: [WPA2-CAP-CCMP][ESS]
Hi/Op: Open
RSSI: -74**
Modulation: BPSK (sometimes this is 16 or 64 QAM, whatever that means)
CR: 2/3
PER: %
TX: 12 dbm
Link speed: 52Mbps*** (but speed tests disprove this)
NETWORK: 802.11n****
IP: [address]
MAC: [address]
WiFi Power Save Mode [ON]

*When I am directly under the router, my Note 4 can connect to either this or the 5745 MHz frequency.

**Obviously this is the signal I get when I'm in my dorm room. When I'm under the router, it jumps to the mid-30s. I do have to appreciate that the Note 4 does get a better signal than the Note 2.

***When under the router, the link speed is ~130 Mbps, but again the speed tests show only about 10-25% of that even when directly under the router.

****When the network is first connected, it briefly says 802.11ac before switching over to 802.11n.

My Note 2 displays similar information.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes. I read it.

This is an interesting and informative post. I'm on the market for a new router. Do you have any recommendations of what is best? I would prefer to have AC capability as well as 2.4 & 5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech