Samsung Galaxy Note 4 New to android and note

Ravinder Bindra

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys

I'm Ravinder and I'm from the UK. I'm new to the whole android thing. My previous phones have been an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. What made me come to android? I fancied a change as I was getting a little bored with the iPhone and the awful battery life. My 5 was a shambles in this department. Good phone but I just found myself doing the same thing over and over again.

I initially ordered an iPhone 6 plus but it took weeks for it arrive so in the end I cancelled the order. I saw details about the note 4 online and the more I read about it and saw the pics the more it appealed to me, so here I am - a proud owner of a white note 4. :)

To be honest, I don't really know what to do with it yet. So far I've mainly spent time online and downloading a few apps but would love to make it mine - what can you recommend to a newbie to okay about with on this device? I would like to customise the background. Is it possible to have a different background for each screen/page when swiped? Can someone also explain to me what the shoe sign is on the home screen next to the clock? I have so many questions but forgot them all! I will ask as soon as I remember. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: New to android and note

Welcome to Android Central! For a general introduction to Android, check out this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/399060-guide-getting-started-android-2014-a.html. It's not geared towards Samsung's TouchWiz, but a lot of it should still make sense.

You can't make the background change with each homescreen, but there are lots of neat wallpapers you can install from Google Play Store, including live wallpapers.

The shoe icon is the pedometer function of the S Health app.

Enjoy your phone!

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

Congrats on the Note 4, the learning curve can be steep transitioning from ios to Android, plus TouchWiz, but after some time it will be like second nature. I recommend tinkering with TouchWiz a bit and downloading a third party launcher such as Nova or Apex. Then perhaps some icon packs to change the looks of your icons. YouTube is a great resource to learn more about the Note 4's functionality. And of course here on the forum.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aziel Oropeza

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

Imo, once your used to the whole android OS, consider rooting your device

Sent from my GS3R using Tapatalk

Mr973

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

First thing is down load a app call deep sleep battery. ..then download greenify..This will save you a lot of battery. ..welcome to the dark side. ..Go big or go back to apple. .note 4 tmobile.rooted with twrp....

Posted via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Hey guys

I'm Ravinder and I'm from the UK. I'm new to the whole android thing. My previous phones have been an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. What made me come to android? I fancied a change as I was getting a little bored with the iPhone and the awful battery life. My 5 was a shambles in this department. Good phone but I just found myself doing the same thing over and over again.

I initially ordered an iPhone 6 plus but it took weeks for it arrive so in the end I cancelled the order. I saw details about the note 4 online and the more I read about it and saw the pics the more it appealed to me, so here I am - a proud owner of a white note 4. :)

To be honest, I don't really know what to do with it yet. So far I've mainly spent time online and downloading a few apps but would love to make it mine - what can you recommend to a newbie to okay about with on this device? I would like to customise the background. Is it possible to have a different background for each screen/page when swiped? Can someone also explain to me what the shoe sign is on the home screen next to the clock? I have so many questions but forgot them all! I will ask as soon as I remember. Thanks.

Zedge. They have many wallpapers for the resolution of the N4 and they have live wallpapers and ringtones as well. All for free.

Welcome to the forums and Android!

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Imo, once your used to the whole android OS, consider rooting your device

Sent from my GS3R using Tapatalk

I would never recommend a newbie root their phone, even after getting comfortable with the OS.

There is the potential that they would void their warranty or worse brick their device (make it completely unusable). This is especially true with a new phone in the market where there is some uncertainty about how to root it (I know some have rooted the Note 4).

I can understand the desire to root your phone (for complete customization) but make sure you warn people about the risks, especially people new to Android.

Rooting your phone is not as simple as changing your wallpaper, deciding your don't like it, and changing it back. There are huge consequences if it's not done correctly.

Last edited:

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

Once you are comfortable with phone a launcher you choose may let you set a different wallpaper for each page. You will just have to ask the question or google it to see which launchers pop up with this capability...nova is a good launcher but I don't think it allows this function...there are launchers that will let you copy and automatically install everything you like from a screen set up you see in their gallery.
Play with the phone and remember there is a long press menu on just about everything you see...just long press on something if a settings menu doesn't pop up. Watch the videos on you tube they are sooo much help...if you have time you will love learning the new operating system and have you phone looking great in no time...check out he sticky thread above about homepage set ups/screenshots...you will get a ton of ideas...most of all have fun with it and make it your own.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463