03-26-2016 05:35 PM
121 12345
tools
    Not for me -- at work the wifi is 1 Mbps .. streaming is non-existent on it .
    So I'm gathering from the 18GB dedicated to just one app that part of your job responsibilities is to watch TV on the Xfinity TV Go app?
    11-05-2014 06:08 AM
    The WiFi where I live is useless. It won't even power a youtube video

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-05-2014 07:56 AM
    To the people that average more than 10 Gb if data a week... Do you all not have wifi at work and home?
    Yes I have wifi at work but my work tracks wifi usage. Personally I don't want my employer to know what sites I am visiting. At home, I have a Verizon wireless 4GLTE broadband router with voice, so using wifi or 4GLTE still uses "mobile" data. I had twc 15/1 before but they are very slow at peak times (sometimes sub 1mbps down) .The Verizon 4GLTE broadband router is faster especially during peak. No problems with streaming in fHD. On twc, a single hd (not fHD) stream would stutter badly sometimes.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Attached Thumbnails Are People noticing higher Data Usage with the Note 4?-uploadfromtaptalk1415203375840.jpg  
    Tkbredx likes this.
    11-05-2014 10:06 AM
    How can I disable the flipboard? If I go into app mgr. I can clear the cache but the Uninstall is grayed out?

I believe you hold down on the home screen like you're adding a widget. Then click settings. You should find something about flip board I believe.

I installed Nova and uninstalled touch wiz so if this isn't the way my bad. I think I remembered correctly though. Lol
    11-05-2014 11:04 AM
    I disabled it too...before going to Nova. If this isn't everything needed there are 68 results in SearchForum> disable flipboard. :-)

I believe you hold down on the home screen like you're adding a widget. Then click settings. You should find something about flip board I believe.

I installed Nova and uninstalled touch wiz so if this isn't the way my bad. I think I remembered correctly though. Lol
    11-05-2014 11:27 AM
    So I'm gathering from the 18GB dedicated to just one app that part of your job responsibilities is to watch TV on the Xfinity TV Go app?
    Nope. Not all of it is at work -- But some is -- I am just quick at my job and can get things done quickly. Just depends on what breaks .. days where everything is humming and no complaints .. it gets quiet .
    11-05-2014 11:47 AM
    I, too, noticed my data usage has gone up & I've mostly gone to Google Play to download apps & ringtones. I'm on Sprint & have never gone over 2 gigs, according to the rep when I got the Note4, so she lowered the data usage to 2 gigs to lower my monthly bill; said I was overpaying unnecessarily. For the 4 yrs. I've been w/Sprint I had always been on the Unlimited Plan.

So after reading these posts, my question is: Am I supposed to always connect to wi-fi when at home and usual places I go to where it is available? I have always unchecked it when it turned on by itself. I always thought I should be using Mobile Data.

In Data Usage I have Mobile Data checked and Limit Mobile Data Usage unchecked. Please advise me on the correct way I should be connecting so as not to go over my data usage and end up paying for the overage.

Thanks in advance!
    osvanberg likes this.
    11-06-2014 04:04 AM
    I, too, noticed my data usage has gone up & I've mostly gone to Google Play to download apps & ringtones. I'm on Sprint & have never gone over 2 gigs, according to the rep when I got the Note4, so she lowered the data usage to 2 gigs to lower my monthly bill; said I was overpaying unnecessarily. For the 4 yrs. I've been w/Sprint I had always been on the Unlimited Plan.

So after reading these posts, my question is: Am I supposed to always connect to wi-fi when at home and usual places I go to where it is available? I have always unchecked it when it turned on by itself. I always thought I should be using Mobile Data.

In Data Usage I have Mobile Data checked and Limit Mobile Data Usage unchecked. Please advise me on the correct way I should be connecting so as not to go over my data usage and end up paying for the overage.

Thanks in advance!
    I do like this: I have mobile data always ON and WiFi also always ON . I then connect manually once and configure those WiFi networks I want to use and connect to. The phone will then remember these details and autoconnect to those WiFi networks as soon as you have availability, eg at home, at work, at your favorite hotshot etc. This makes the Internet/net usage totally seamless and automatic. When I'm in a place where the phone feels one of my WiFi networks I set up, the phone will autoconnect to it and use WiFi for all network activities. Saving heeps of mobile data usage. When I'm not near any of my WiFi networks, the phone will instead automatically use the mobile data plan for all network activities. Always connected, but in two different ways. Brilliant in my book.

People always say "having WiFi on all the time will drain battety". BS IMHO! I have been using all my smartphones like this for the last 6-7 years, no problem. I'm a heavy user and get 4-6hours SOT on my current device (S4 Mini) and one solide day of use (approx 15 hours between charging). Charge it during sleep and you are then good to go again!
    tiarosi likes this.
    11-06-2014 04:54 AM
    Think of data like electricity. Using mobile data you pay the electric bill. In WiFi you don't. Then do what you like. Sometimes Verizon is way faster than WiFi but sometimes it doesn't matter to me. If you remember the rule you can choose as needed. 2gb is usually plenty for me but downloading all my apps into the new Note before I remembered to turn on WiFi wrecked me until Saturday...
    tiarosi likes this.
    11-06-2014 07:44 AM
    Thank you both for your replies & advice. I don't know why, but for some reason I always thought it was the other way around, that wi-fi would incur charges for using it. I think I'll click on Limit Mobile Data & see how that goes.
    11-07-2014 02:25 AM
    Yep I've noticed more data. I called Verizon this morning to ask about it and they doubled my data for the life of my plan for free! Nice!

11-07-2014 01:05 PM
    Anyone else experiencing this?

This could be the answer.

Sometimes I come in from outside. It used to be that my S4 would always automatically hook into my wi-fi network. Sometimes the Note 4 does. Sometimes I look down--and it hasn't. I have to manually reconnect. It may well be a lot of data was inadvertently on 4g....
    11-07-2014 04:30 PM
    If you are having unusually large amounts of data usage, check to see if your mobile data is turned off while using WiFi. Realized the other day while logged into WiFi that mobile data and WiFi were running concurrently and increasing my data usage when there should have been none.

tiarosi likes this.
    11-08-2014 11:59 AM
    I've noticed more data used. Don't know why, usage hasn't changed and I'm on wifi the vast majority off time. Also, my phone shows I've used less than a gig of data, but Verizon says I've used 1.51 gigs. Why the discrepancy?

11-08-2014 01:35 PM
    You used .51 on your other phone during this billing cycle. You probably used more than usual when you set it up. This thread will probably die in a month or two....

I've noticed more data used. Don't know why, usage hasn't changed and I'm on wifi the vast majority off time. Also, my phone shows I've used less than a gig of data, but Verizon says I've used 1.51 gigs. Why the discrepancy?

11-08-2014 03:28 PM

You were probably in your current cycle with your old phone before switching.. So the Note 4 only knows the data you've used so far with it and not the previous phone.
    11-08-2014 04:40 PM
    Anyone else experiencing this?

This could be the answer.

Sometimes I come in from outside. It used to be that my S4 would always automatically hook into my wi-fi network. Sometimes the Note 4 does. Sometimes I look down--and it hasn't. I have to manually reconnect. It may well be a lot of data was inadvertently on 4g....
    I've noticed this too! WiFi isn't always reconnecting on its own.

monsieurms likes this.
    11-08-2014 07:34 PM
    I've used over 40GB with 13 days to go before my month is over. I don't use Flipboard. Haven't streamed any movies. It's over double what I normally use. I'm grandfathered into unlimited with Verizon, thank god.
    11-10-2014 12:46 AM
    I've used over 40GB with 13 days to go before my month is over. I don't use Flipboard. Haven't streamed any movies. It's over double what I normally use. I'm grandfathered into unlimited with Verizon, thank god.
    Whaaaat???

OMG LOL! I am reading all of your data usage and it's blowing my mind!!! How in the hell on a mobile phone do you guys all use that much? I have 5GB and thought that that was a hell of a lot, I don't think I have ever used 2GB ever. I don't stream a lot mind you, but WOW!!! On an interesting note, I am going on a course for a month and unless I can pay someone in the barracks to piggy back off of their wifi, I will be testing the limits of my limits!
    monsieurms and hdhuntr like this.
    11-10-2014 04:15 AM
    Holy cow that's a lot of data usage! Do you use for work or something? !

11-10-2014 05:23 AM
    My mom has the same phone on T-mobile and is having the same problem. More data used per month with this one than she normally uses in three months combined. The store reps are clueless and make up reasons. They told her it was because all new smartphones use more data. My mom had the previous Notes and never got close to the amount she has now. Funny how my Sony Xperia Z3 doesn't do the same thing if "all new smartphones" use more data. Since this is across the board on all carriers I think Samsung is to blame and they won't admit it because it would cost them too much money.
    11-19-2014 04:21 AM
    Now that I am past that 1st month, my current data projections from a return to my normal patterns seem to me to be back to normal. I am still monitoring that. There are a couple of programs I like to use now that I didn't in the past--like Flipboard--which is not, of course, the phone's fault. But overall, the big spike of that first month seems gone.
    11-19-2014 06:59 AM
    That's incredible...both to use that much and to not have the reason be obvious. I went slightly over my 2 gb because I loaded up the Note 4 before I turned on WiFi and paid $10 for the 1 extra GB and now 10 days into cycle I have used about 20mb. Verzon has logs. You can match them to what you were doing.

11-19-2014 11:33 AM
    I am within my second billing cycle and all my data reflects my usage.
    Attached Thumbnails Are People noticing higher Data Usage with the Note 4?-1416419727968.jpg  
    11-19-2014 11:55 AM
    I am shocked you don't get throttled.
    Clearly AT&T being spanked recently by the government should mean unlimited is unlimited . No more throttling of those of us on unlimited plans.

Rocking the Note 4
    11-19-2014 07:54 PM
121 12345