Are People noticing higher Data Usage with the Note 4?

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep I've noticed more data. I called Verizon this morning to ask about it and they doubled my data for the life of my plan for free! Nice!

Posted via the Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing this?

This could be the answer.

Sometimes I come in from outside. It used to be that my S4 would always automatically hook into my wi-fi network. Sometimes the Note 4 does. Sometimes I look down--and it hasn't. I have to manually reconnect. It may well be a lot of data was inadvertently on 4g....

El Ver

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
If you are having unusually large amounts of data usage, check to see if your mobile data is turned off while using WiFi. Realized the other day while logged into WiFi that mobile data and WiFi were running concurrently and increasing my data usage when there should have been none.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed more data used. Don't know why, usage hasn't changed and I'm on wifi the vast majority off time. Also, my phone shows I've used less than a gig of data, but Verizon says I've used 1.51 gigs. Why the discrepancy?

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You used .51 on your other phone during this billing cycle. You probably used more than usual when you set it up. This thread will probably die in a month or two....

I've noticed more data used. Don't know why, usage hasn't changed and I'm on wifi the vast majority off time. Also, my phone shows I've used less than a gig of data, but Verizon says I've used 1.51 gigs. Why the discrepancy?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You were probably in your current cycle with your old phone before switching.. So the Note 4 only knows the data you've used so far with it and not the previous phone.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing this?

This could be the answer.

Sometimes I come in from outside. It used to be that my S4 would always automatically hook into my wi-fi network. Sometimes the Note 4 does. Sometimes I look down--and it hasn't. I have to manually reconnect. It may well be a lot of data was inadvertently on 4g....

I've noticed this too! WiFi isn't always reconnecting on its own.

lmandl

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've used over 40GB with 13 days to go before my month is over. I don't use Flipboard. Haven't streamed any movies. It's over double what I normally use. I'm grandfathered into unlimited with Verizon, thank god.

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I've used over 40GB with 13 days to go before my month is over. I don't use Flipboard. Haven't streamed any movies. It's over double what I normally use. I'm grandfathered into unlimited with Verizon, thank god.

Whaaaat???

OMG LOL! I am reading all of your data usage and it's blowing my mind!!! How in the hell on a mobile phone do you guys all use that much? I have 5GB and thought that that was a hell of a lot, I don't think I have ever used 2GB ever. I don't stream a lot mind you, but WOW!!! On an interesting note, I am going on a course for a month and unless I can pay someone in the barracks to piggy back off of their wifi, I will be testing the limits of my limits!

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

Holy cow that's a lot of data usage! Do you use for work or something? !

Chris Ferguson77

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
My mom has the same phone on T-mobile and is having the same problem. More data used per month with this one than she normally uses in three months combined. The store reps are clueless and make up reasons. They told her it was because all new smartphones use more data. My mom had the previous Notes and never got close to the amount she has now. Funny how my Sony Xperia Z3 doesn't do the same thing if "all new smartphones" use more data. Since this is across the board on all carriers I think Samsung is to blame and they won't admit it because it would cost them too much money.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Now that I am past that 1st month, my current data projections from a return to my normal patterns seem to me to be back to normal. I am still monitoring that. There are a couple of programs I like to use now that I didn't in the past--like Flipboard--which is not, of course, the phone's fault. But overall, the big spike of that first month seems gone.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That's incredible...both to use that much and to not have the reason be obvious. I went slightly over my 2 gb because I loaded up the Note 4 before I turned on WiFi and paid $10 for the 1 extra GB and now 10 days into cycle I have used about 20mb. Verzon has logs. You can match them to what you were doing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am within my second billing cycle and all my data reflects my usage.

Attachments

• 1416419727968.jpg
    1416419727968.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 28

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Clearly AT&T being spanked recently by the government should mean unlimited is unlimited . No more throttling of those of us on unlimited plans.

Rocking the Note 4

That isn't true. The verdict hasn't been handed down at all yet.. They've just been called out / taken to court.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow! No wonder you carry around extra batteries...How do you have time to be an Ambassador? :)

Haha :). Some of that is during the dead times at work but mainly during lunch. I have found a 22 min episode of Family Guy on the Xfinity App registers about 1.2 GB of data since it streams full HD ... It can eat it up in no time!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Haha :). Some of that is during the dead times at work but mainly during lunch. I have found a 22 min episode of Family Guy on the Xfinity App registers about 1.2 GB of data since it streams full HD ... It can eat it up in no time!

Yeah, every time someone tells me how they don't need space on a SD card, I remind them how much space things like HD videos can eat up, too. ;)