7 year iphone guy switched to a Note 4

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Whats up everyone,

As the title says, after being a long time apple user (sure...fanboy :), I finally took the plunge. In the last 7 years, I did try the first galaxy, and returned it, and then the note 2, which i also returned..but i really liked that phone. Always been interested in the "phablet" market, but when apple released the plus and didnt put a true multi task support, and take advantage of that huge screen i knew it was time to go.

So far I'm loving this phone, its pretty damn incredible....touch wiz is little meh, but I can deal with it. I do have a few questions that I tried searching, but couldnt find a solid answer, hopefully you guys can help out.

1. The battery is amazing, I get basically a full days use, so I'm not complaining. However last night I went to bed at 34% (i think) and I figured no reason to charge...I woke up on like 13%....is this a notification thing?
2.When playing music, is there a way to get the music to stop pausing for a second when i receive a text?
3.Is there a better gallery app than samsung for photos, or should I just stick with stock? Not that its terrible...but I'm just used to how the iphone organized it, so I was curious if something similar was possible.
4. Is there any way to adjust the senstivity on this thing? The screen and even the buttons (not the physical home button) are extremely, overly touchy. It's such a big phone that sometimes I accidentally palm something near the bottom while reaching, and i end up hitting something I didn't want to.

4. Last and most important.....

I did a ton of searching on how to port my direct itunes playlist on this phone, and came up with so many different things, that I didnt know what to believe. Theres a ton of apps you have to buy that do it for you, which I'd honestly rather not do if there is a free way to do it. I tried the exporting playlist file method, where you drop it into the music folder on the device, but that gave me no luck...any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post lol...but I was stuck in the iCloud for so long I feel like it dumbed me down a little bit lol.

Thanks,
Rocco

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums and Android.
1. The battery is amazing, I get basically a full days use, so I'm not complaining. However last night I went to bed at 34% (i think) and I figured no reason to charge...I woke up on like 13%....is this a notification thing?

It depends. If you can show screenshots of your battery stats (the list and the graph) that would be helpful. You may have had an app that stuck or something. Screenshots can be taken with power and home buttons as I recall. Check this out: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-tos/441906-how-read-your-battery-stats.html
That will show the shots I am looking for.

2.When playing music, is there a way to get the music to stop pausing for a second when i receive a text?

I think PowerAmp can disable that. That is a paid app, but the first week or two is free, and it is only a one time $4. And worth every penny.

3.Is there a better gallery app than samsung for photos, or should I just stick with stock? Not that its terrible...but I'm just used to how the iphone organized it, so I was curious if something similar was possible.

I use the stock one, never really bothered to check Play to see about other options.

4. Is there any way to adjust the senstivity on this thing? The screen and even the buttons (not the physical home button) are extremely, overly touchy. It's such a big phone that sometimes I accidentally palm something near the bottom while reaching, and i end up hitting something I didn't want to.

I don't think so. That sort of thing is usually baked into the ROM.

I did a ton of searching on how to port my direct itunes playlist on this phone, and came up with so many different things, that I didnt know what to believe.

Probably the best way to do this is to Download Google Play Music Manager. That can convert iTunes to playable songs on Android devices.

Couple more links to check out:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/399060-guide-getting-started-android-2014-a.html

Switch to Android

Any questions, by all means ask.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I was seven years also....iPhone 4 worked flawlessly for 7 years until I shut my old friend off. Only glitches were courtesy of Apply firmware ???upgrades??? if you know what I mean.

I would not necessarily call it freedom. What are we more brainwashed by...Apply or the telecom industry:
"we must communicate (but only across the interlocking mechanism of the Internet)"......"we must use airtime" (sorry...dating myself) ....."we must use bandwidth" ....we must...............compute.........24/7............everywhere"

"I must know if the underwear I am about to buy are made from latex, spandex, nylon,cardboard, polyester, polypropylene, polystyrene or....oh no......just plain cotton?????" "Is there a review on that". "You mean there is but I must take your "survey" to view it!!!!!!!"

Already see people within ten feet of each other text messaging each other!

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums and welcome to android.

Probably the best way to do this is to Download Google Play Music Manager. That can convert iTunes to playable songs on

Any questions, by all means ask.

Awesome, thanks for your help. I'm doing a little pre sunday football running around, once I'm done I'll post the screen of the battery usage.

As far as making my itunes music playable, it plays...I got all my music ported over, that part was easy. My problem is that I'm used to having all my music organized in 20 or so playlist...thats what I'm trying to get over. Not that its make or break, but I know it's doable, I just cant figure out the best, easiest method.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
"So far I'm loving this phone, its pretty damn incredible....touch wiz is little meh, but I can deal with it"

Touchwiz gets lots of puppy p-o-o-p dumped on it, but it is actually a very powerful front end. Most functions in Touchwiz have multiple options and Samsung has to choose one as default so when you turn on your phone for the first time it works. But that doesn't mean it is the best choice for you or even the best choice. Take the time and make the effort to learn Touchwiz and its many options.
I have tried many if not most of the launcher overlays and have always come back to Touchwiz for my launcher because simply it works better without an extra app and extra layer between me and my phone. Could Touchwiz be different, absolutely. Would it please any more people, absolutely not. When you have options, then you have those who don't like or can't bother with choosing. It is always easier to whine than learn.
Enjoy your trip with Android and Touchwiz, they will be as suitable for you as you allow them to be.

bapte

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
"So far I'm loving this phone, its pretty damn incredible....touch wiz is little meh, but I can deal with it"

Touchwiz gets lots of puppy p-o-o-p dumped on it, but it is actually a very powerful front end. Most functions in Touchwiz have multiple options and Samsung has to choose one as default so when you turn on your phone for the first time it works. But that doesn't mean it is the best choice for you or even the best choice. Take the time and make the effort to learn Touchwiz and its many options.
I have tried many if not most of the launcher overlays and have always come back to Touchwiz for my launcher because simply it works better without an extra app and extra layer between me and my phone. Could Touchwiz be different, absolutely. Would it please any more people, absolutely not. When you have options, then you have those who don't like or can't bother with choosing. It is always easier to whine than learn.
Enjoy your trip with Android and Touchwiz, they will be as suitable for you as you allow them to be.
Before going with the note 4 I did a lot of research on it. Apparently everyone hates TouchWiz, was the vibe I got.

But as I am using the note 4 and having tested out other recommended launchers, TouchWiz is the one I'd rather use as well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
1. The battery is pretty awesome. The battery drain could have been from an app miss behaving. Reboot and see if it happens again.

2. Depending on the app you're using you usually can have it not play notifications. What do you use? Stock?

3. Not sure here. I've always used stock.

4. Unfortunately no. The screen is just very sensitive to touch. Do you have a case? That usually will help with the accidentally inputs.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Before going with the note 4 I did a lot of research on it. Apparently everyone hates TouchWiz, was the vibe I got.

But as I am using the note 4 and having tested out other recommended launchers, TouchWiz is the one I'd rather use as well.

I really liked touch wiz. The only problem that I ever saw with it was that it was a little laggy. Other than that, I really like the features. The only other issue I guess is that I had to determine whether or not those extra features actually made things more convenient and quicker. When I did my comparison of the Note 4 an iPhone 6+, I found that a lot of those features are actually more time consuming and less convenient than other methods.

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Wow...this forum is great, thanks for all the fast replies and help.

As far as hating touch wiz, thats wrong because I dont...im also not nearly familiar enough with it to even make that decision. I too did a ton of research on this phone before buying, and noticed it got dumped on too....and I def dont see it as big of a problem as a lot of hardcore stock android users do.

Its got a lot of great usable features on it...its just BULKY. This phone is such a powerhouse though, that its not even an issue.

As far as being able to MAKE playlist...yea I know I can remake them, I just dont want too lol.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Whats up everyone,

As the title says, after being a long time apple user (sure...fanboy :), I finally took the plunge. In the last 7 years, I did try the first galaxy, and returned it, and then the note 2, which i also returned..but i really liked that phone. Always been interested in the "phablet" market, but when apple released the plus and didnt put a true multi task support, and take advantage of that huge screen i knew it was time to go.

So far I'm loving this phone, its pretty damn incredible....touch wiz is little meh, but I can deal with it. I do have a few questions that I tried searching, but couldnt find a solid answer, hopefully you guys can help out.

I did a ton of searching on how to port my direct itunes playlist on this phone, and came up with so many different things, that I didnt know what to believe. Theres a ton of apps you have to buy that do it for you, which I'd honestly rather not do if there is a free way to do it. I tried the exporting playlist file method, where you drop it into the music folder on the device, but that gave me no luck...any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post lol...but I was stuck in the iCloud for so long I feel like it dumbed me down a little bit lol.

Thanks,
Rocco

Regarding screen sensitivity:

Settings> Device> Display> scroll down, make sure "Increase Touch Sensitivity" is NOT checked.

Posted via the Android Central App on my awesome Note 4

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I've got no problem with the TouchWiz UI and I like many of the features. But I turn off all of those built-in Samsung apps that it will allow me to turn off and it does seem to introduce lags and stutters. The free version of Nova launcher smooths my Samsung quite a bit.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The attached screenshots are an example of the shots. Tapping on the graph bring another battery screen.

Your cell signal looks a little weak. That may be a part of your drain. Also Facebook is another leech on your battery. Do you use it a lot? Is it set to sync often?

Sent from an AOSP M8

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414964576328.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414964576328.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 84
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414964622979.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414964622979.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 84

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
iSynchr and iSyncher wifi for mac is how I downloaded and synced my playlists.

You can also just go into your itunes, music, and drag and drop the entirety into your device if you don't want to set up playlists but if you do. iSynchr worked well for me. Not free but easy to use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2