On screen time /battery

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Had anyone noticed only about 4-5 hours on screen time with the note 4. I have a Canadian model and notice the device drop in battery life quite quickly work on screen time. Auto brightness off, dim brightness, I have also disabled bloat ware, location services etc. I have done everything possible in saving battery life until I start losing features I use.

Is this battery life normal for on screen time? How do I get in screen time to last longer, any tips?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Had anyone noticed only about 4-5 hours on screen time with the note 4. I have a Canadian model and notice the device drop in battery life quite quickly work on screen time. Auto brightness off, dim brightness, I have also disabled bloat ware, location services etc. I have done everything possible in saving battery life until I start losing features I use.

Is this battery life normal for on screen time? How do I get in screen time to last longer, any tips?

My 1st day with it I had horrible battery life. I narrowed this issue down to exchange mail. I changed my exchange mail to imap and it instantly got much better. Yesterday I got almost 7 hours of screen on time.

I do have a lot of the Samsung and AT&T bloat removed and or disabled.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting about 5 hrs. but most options aren't held back so I'm good with that.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4 using Tapatalk

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Being an AMOLED screen having a dark wallpaper is going to make a difference. Using dark themes specially for reading apps is going to give you more SOT.

If you read a lot and the apps you use don't have dark themes you could try Pocket for offline reading. It's great and night mode is very pleasant.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Being an AMOLED screen having a dark wallpaper is going to make a difference. Using dark themes specially for reading apps is going to give you more SOT.

If you read a lot and the apps you use don't have dark themes you could try Pocket for offline reading. It's great and night mode is very pleasant.

Thanks, I understand what you are saying but what I don't understand is why other people have reported (even in this thread) that they can get 7 hours on screen time. I do use plenty of apps that have bright or white colours, but I expected to have the same or better battery life as my S5. I love this phone so much, but watching the battery drain while I browse or play with it really gets under my skin.
I have also wiped the handset and tested the different display modes. What's your thoughts on the different display modes? Wouldn't adapt display affect the battery opposed to say cinematic display?

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

Take a look here and let me know if anything looks unusual, is this decent usage according to the info?

Attachments

• 1415082384629.jpg
    1415082384629.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 69

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It's quite difficult to compare battery life with other people. Usage may vary a lot.
Your graph says almost 18hs and 45% left but there's no account of SOT. If your screen is off most of the time Android system and OS are going to be high, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just a question of percentage.

Google services looks a bit high. Not sure but it could reflect several updates on the Play Store. I always update apps manually avoiding the play store to look for updates on its own and updating in the background. Some people say that Google services high battery use is related to Google Now. If you use it have a look in the settings or even stop using it one day and see if there's any difference.

I don't have a clue about the display modes you mentioned. Is it something like static or dynamic wallpapers?

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
It's quite difficult to compare battery life with other people. Usage may vary a lot.
Your graph says almost 18hs and 45% left but there's no account of SOT. If your screen is off most of the time Android system and OS are going to be high, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just a question of percentage.

Google services looks a bit high. Not sure but it could reflect several updates on the Play Store. I always update apps manually avoiding the play store to look for updates on its own and updating in the background. Some people say that Google services high battery use is related to Google Now. If you use it have a look in the settings or even stop using it one day and see if there's any difference.

I don't have a clue about the display modes you mentioned. Is it something like static or dynamic wallpapers?

I have the moto 360, smart watch, and use the voice activation on it regularly. That is probably why the play services are running higher. Does that make sense?

The display modes are found in settings, under display, numerous Samsung devices have these features. Adapt Display mode, sadist the colour and display to the app or Web page you are looking at so you get the best image. The gallery app for photos reflect this setting greatly. Other modes are pretty standard, cinematic is bright, and the other ones are quite dull. Thought maybe adapt display would cause some sort of battery drain.

Let me know what you think about the play services being higher, now that I have a moto 360 watch, and if anyone has any testing done with the display modes any review or suggestions would be welcomed.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the watch but it makes complete sense. These are the processes included in Google services, according to Gsam.

Attachments

• 1415107382530.jpg
    1415107382530.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 125

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Install gsam and let it run for a full cycle. Then post the results.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415112131858.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415112131858.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 64
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415112143969.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415112143969.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 61
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415112148965.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415112148965.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 59
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415112154876.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415112154876.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 57

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Same here.

What about the antenna radio in the device. I feel like people are telling me that I'm breaking up alot more with the note 4. To be honest though I can't tell if it's any different than any other phone, I mean I've definitely noticed my Bluetooth getting all messed up since I've had the handset, but that also could be coincidence. My jabra bluetooth visor mount may be done for.

It may seem stupid but I need to work out these quirks and kinks that I notice on my phone. It definitely helps asking the community for the help.

So basically has any one heard or experienced weak signal, dropped calls, poor connectivity with bluetooth etc?

All your help is greatly appreciated!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would try another Bluetooth headphone. I use the gear for phone calls and it works fine. Granted the gear call quality isn't great but people can hear me and it doesn't drop

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I would try another Bluetooth headphone. I use the gear for phone calls and it works fine. Granted the gear call quality isn't great but people can hear me and it doesn't drop

Have you had issues with the note 4 dropping calls while connected to bluetooth? I get a serious echo when I'm using my Bluetooth and people are telling me that I sound like I'm cutting in and out. Also, I've noticed while on speaker phone people are usually saying "what?" or complaining of how they cannot hear me. Worried I have a lemon, I've noticed some hiccups while the handset is operating, but could be software. It's almost like the screen will not respond sometimes in certain apps, would this have to do with the UHD display? Sorry for all the questions but I cannot find the answers....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No drops here. Did you have a problem with the old device with the same carrier?