02-12-2015 11:05 AM
213 1234 ...
tools
    We've had the phone the same amount of time then. I'd say it is a faulty antenna then, causing the phone to roam looking for a signal destroying your battery life. My note 4 has much better service then any other phone i've had in the same area's and it gives me more bars then my girlfriends iphone 5s in the same spot. Your brightness is higher then I go indoors, but thats not enough to account for that battery life.
    This.

Reception should be great...and a faulty antenna could easily be driving the radio into overtime searching for a signal.
    11-03-2014 06:12 AM
    I had to do a factory reset on the 1st day. Due to stuff not working right. Battery life was marginal the 1st day but I was on it for a solid 4hrs setting it up and downloading all my apps etc. Now battery life is good but not as good as my S5. Fast charge is the equalizer....

Posted via Android Central App
    11-03-2014 08:05 AM
    I'm pretty convinced that the Verizon Note 4 has some sort of Wifi issue. I've noticed on few occasions that the wifi connection gets dropped and the phone gets stuck in the "obtaining ip address". I noticed this on my home fios and office dlink routers. Only way to reestablish connection is to either put the phone on the airplane mode or simply restart it. When it loses wifi connection it drains the phone battery pretty quickly. Otherwise my battery life has been excellent roughly 50-60% left by 4pm on office wifi. My wifes note 4 has the same issue, of course she didn't notice the wifi disconnect and she quickly accumulated 4.5GB of data in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully this will be addressed by a software update similar to S5.
    11-03-2014 08:25 AM
    i am not having this issue... i do keep my brightmess really low and constantly use greenify to hibernate all my apps and close all my apps and i am dilligent about shutting off wifi and bluetooth when not in use... most days after 16 hours of use I have 40% left.... i am connected to a corporate vpn server and receive continiuous emails throughout the day ... this battery DESTROYS my previous iPhone 5s battery
    11-03-2014 08:30 AM
    I'm pretty convinced that the Verizon Note 4 has some sort of Wifi issue. I've noticed on few occasions that the wifi connection gets dropped and the phone gets stuck in the "obtaining ip address". I noticed this on my home fios and office dlink routers. Only way to reestablish connection is to either put the phone on the airplane mode or simply restart it. When it loses wifi connection it drains the phone battery pretty quickly. Otherwise my battery life has been excellent roughly 50-60% left by 4pm on office wifi. My wifes note 4 has the same issue, of course she didn't notice the wifi disconnect and she quickly accumulated 4.5GB of data in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully this will be addressed by a software update similar to S5.
    i have verizon and have had zero issues with WiFi
    yeatzee and FeistyRedheadAZ like this.
    11-03-2014 08:31 AM
    I use my Note 4 at home (on a Cisco Meraki) and at work on a Rukus WiFi network and I don't haven't had any issues with WiFi so far.
    11-03-2014 08:40 AM
    This only happened to me twice and on wives phone three times so maybe it's an app issue, but I've seen similar wifi issue posts. I know S5 had similar issues and it was quickly addressed by an ota update
    11-03-2014 08:49 AM
    If you're going to talk about bad wifi then make another post, this has gotten pretty far off topic
    11-03-2014 06:31 PM
    Just offering possible cause to a claimed "horrible battery life" thanks for your concern and input though.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-03-2014 06:36 PM
    Like I said before....first Android phone in about 5 years so I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but here you go.
    Attachment 145492
    Attachment 145493
    Attachment 145494
    Attachment 145495
    Dude, look at your first screenshot, see that SOLID blue line under WIFI?! That graphic covers SIX hours plus and your wifi is on constantly for the entire SIX hours!

Why?

Look at the other shots, barely any wifi transfers at all. Check your browser(s), Google Play, etc. How much are the up/down transfers? I'd wager not much.

You are burning thru your battery with an "always on" wifi radio that is barely being utilized. This is where your battery usage is going.

Screen use is the primary battery killer. Second is WIFI (and/or other radios) use. "Always on" is wholly uneccesary.

The third battery offender (perhaps second for many) is Facebook and the other such social network apps. Which are almost constantly "phoning home" using wifi or data. Even when the phone is sleeping, the apps use wakelocks to turn on the phone to phone home.

So, you need to manage wifi much better, and possibly your social networking apps.

For comparison here are a few screens from my Note 3 over a 3 day period. Through great effort I get extraordinary battery use which cannot be compared; but note my wifi "on" use. It is not constant and equals probably a third of yours—over 3 days of (for me) mild use. I am a truly heavy user of this "handheld computer".
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-uploadfromtaptalk1415064978498.jpg   Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-uploadfromtaptalk1415064995049.jpg   Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-uploadfromtaptalk1415064957675.jpg  
    11-03-2014 07:36 PM
    My battery life had been phenomenal. Verizon

Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-screenshot_2014-11-03-21-57-52.jpg  
    11-03-2014 08:59 PM
    Yeah, I purposefully tried to kill my battery on my Verizon Note yesterday and ended up with almost 5 1/2 hours screen on time, connected to my Moto 360 the whole time, screen on Auto. I was pretty pleased.
    11-03-2014 09:05 PM
    Return the phone. No reviews mentions bad battery life (quite the opposite) nor a common post in forums.
    11-03-2014 10:12 PM
    Why would I ever waste my data sitting at work when I could be in Wifi
    11-03-2014 11:12 PM
    Why would I ever waste my data sitting at work when I could be in Wifi
    You shouldn't have to turn off wifi to get better battery life, it's 2014. I leave WiFi on 24/7 on my phones, regardless if there is a connection available and it doesn't effect my battery life much at all. I would try returning the phone to a Verizon store, doing a DOA (dead on arrival) and getting a brand new Note 4 before the 6th when your 14 days are up to see if that will correct the problem. I will say, having a Turbo with a smaller screen & bigger battery, I would not get over 24 hours use out of it and I blame that on the 4k screen. It's going to use a lot more battery than any 1080p phone or <720p that the majority of iPhones have.
    11-03-2014 11:26 PM
    With my iPhones, when I was in a rural area with poor signal and no Wifi, the batteries would deplete faster. Switching to airplane mode helped a lot. I imagine it will be the same with my Note 4. Fortunately, I live in an area with good signal. However, that means instead of the phone searching for a connection, the apps are searching for updates. I hadn’t thought of it before reading through this thread, but I may need to go into each app and set how often it refreshes, if possible (in setting up my non-Gmail email, I was asked how often to refresh, and chose every hour. (And another thought: when I have no signal, are the apps searching along with the phone?)
    11-04-2014 04:52 AM
    Just my opinion, but
    1. Perform a factory reset.
    2. If a reset doesn't work, you have 15 days to trade in from purchase date. Trade in for a new note 4 and if you are in the same boat, sell on ebay.
    11-04-2014 07:59 AM
    That has little to do with the phone and everything to do with your computer. It is only giving the phone a small amount of power hence the slow charging, plug into the wall with the provided charger and you'll be impressed.

How long have you had the phone? Mine was great out of the box and got even better, but its not unrealistic if your phone is a day or two old that the battery needs to get a couple good full cycles (and real ones, not charging it off and on from you laptop giving it just enough juice to charge it a tad) to break in. All batteries have a break in period where they get better after a couple duty cycles.

It just looks like bad battery life mainly, it shows you are losing signal quite a bit though so a part of it could be your phone roaming for a signal or an antenna issue. Also having GPS and bluetooth on when not in use will unnecessarily drain you battery not helping the cause, and GPS will obviously kill it faster then just about anything save for games. Is your brightness at max as well? 40% drain from your screen alone is rather high. You should expect from a properly broken in and working note 4 to give you high 5's to low 6 hours of screen on time a day.

My suggestion would to A. if it is new give it a chance to break in and do like I said with the battery or B. get a replacement unit. The note 4 is a proven beast when it comes to battery life, don't discount all note 4's because of your phone there are a ton of factors at play here.
    I too disable the GPS (location), however I keep getting an annoying popup window that says that my location is disabled, and asks me if I want to go into settings and enable it, or if I should be reminded later. do you get that also? is there a way to disable this popup?
    Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-location-popup.jpg
    11-04-2014 08:09 AM
    This is what I got after 11 hours of use. I work the grave yard shift. I used my phone a lot last night. My battery life is pretty good. Verizon GNote4.

Sent from my GNote4 using Tapatalk!
    11-04-2014 08:16 AM
    On my current charge, I have gotten 1 day, 14 hours, 32 minutes (on screen time: 7 hours, 45 minutes).

My wifi is always on and no power-saving mode. I still have 12% battery life.
    Preach2k likes this.
    11-04-2014 08:34 AM
    With the wifi battery drain, you could just disable "Always allow scanning" within the Advanced WiFi settings

Sent from my Note 4
    11-04-2014 08:54 AM
    I want to say this without sounding too dramatic or like I am exaggerating, but I think I lose around 10% of my battery per hour. A very generous estimate would be 5% of my battery an hour.
    I think you got a bum phone. You need to replace it. I can get nearly 18hrs with moderate use and %30 brightness. Hope it works out for you.

11-04-2014 09:19 AM
    Two reasons your battery is dying that quick.

1. Your screen has been on for over 2.5 hours when it has been off the charger for a little over 5 hours.

2. Something is using GPS. Look at the big drop in your battery and compare that to the "Location On" bar graph... they match perfectly. Make sure you do not have a weather app constantly looking for your location.

And try Greenify, it will greatly improve your battery life.
    11-04-2014 09:34 AM
    Blake...
    A lot of things factor into battery life... wifi, GPS, are not huge battery killers as some people think... you may have a faulty device but u also have to consider things like how often your weather app updates and how often your email apps sync/push also signal strength is a huge factor...2 bars of 4g will still drain your battery while idle more than 4 or 5 bars...also app notifications, games are huge battery hogs "words with friends", candy crush, 2 of the worst battery hogs out there...i leave my wifi and GPS on ALL THE TIME...and i get excellent battery life but I'm a bit OCD about apps running in the background so im always clearing the recent apps and freeing up memory apps i never use i disable, or remove if i can, my weather widget updates every 6 hours if i need more recent weather info i manually update it.. i have 3 email accounts i use their apps not the native email app from android/samsung, gmail and yahoo I let push but hotmail(junkmail) i manually sync...signal strength you cant really control because of where u work, where u drive, where u live all have different bars of signal strength but i try to use wifi whenever possible to save data...i hope this helps...
    ClintRo and dsignori like this.
    11-04-2014 09:45 AM
    I am not yet ready to say it is a bad phone or bad battery. I think you're dealing with learning curve issues from returning to Android from iOS.

From your screen shots, what I got out of it was:
    --You had your screen on approx 50% of the time measured by that ss. When the screen is on a lot, you're going to eat battery. That's just how it works. You might want to try having it on auto for a while and see if that helps. I have my screen set that low, but I also override with auto most of the time and don't see much of an issue with the battery drain. If I get on for a long time I will go to manual and dial it down, if I think it will help.
    --Your system was on WiFi and Location On was also on approx 50% of the time measured. Whatever is wanting Location info constantly is probably your biggest culprit right now.

There were some other issues I can see, but they are relatively minor and I'd address these issues first and see if it clears anything up.

WiFi/GPS on/off: There is nothing wrong with leaving the WiFi and GPS on with this phone, but if you do, you better make sure you manage your app settings properly. If you don't really need them, nothing wrong with turning them off. With my past Galaxy devices, I had those services off unless I needed to use them. When I got the Note 4, I have been leaving them on just to see how battery life is impacted. I do turn off WiFi when I leave the house or the office, just to avoid the WiFi searching drain, but I am leaving GPS turned on pretty much 24/7 right now. I've been impressed with how well the Note 4 manages resources compared to previous Samsung devices.

But you still have to do your part. Things like, make sure Facebook and other apps are only allowed to "check" for things when there is a WiFi connection, or when you're on the app, etc. Make sure you don't have weather widgets or other widgets refreshing their data too often. I have my weather info update every 6 hours, and if I need it more frequent, I update it manually. So check your settings on your apps and make sure you have them set up correctly. Especially that "home beta" app you had listed. That seemed to consume a fair amount of juice compared to the rest of your system.

I have never seen the need for apps like Greenify if you know how to manage your settings properly. The Android OS does a good job by itself of managing RAM and CPU if you take the time to set up your apps properly. JMHO.
    11-04-2014 09:58 AM
213 1234 ...