02-12-2015 11:05 AM
213 12345 ...
tools
    Without trying to be negative, it does seem a little odd that you guys are pleased with 10-12-14hrs of battery life and 5hrs of screen/usage time. Just reading this thread objectively, it appears as you guys have all just become accustomed to this standard, because when you look at those numbers from afar, that really is poor battery life. (perhaps what those people are trying to communicate)

I am very aware of how different the devices are, but i could actually use my old blackberry with the screen on for the equivalent of 48 hours and could leave it on stand by for a week without charging it. The note 4 does have extremely bad battery life in comparison. (Apples to oranges, maybe, but some blackberry passport users are reporting 20 hours of screen time on full charge)
    11-04-2014 10:15 AM
    I
    I took possession of the phone with about 50% battery and played with it until about 25%. I charged it a while in my car, but not long enough for a full charge. I did that later, at home. I'm now at 81% and not plugged in.
    If i had to guess, i think this is what the majority of people do when they get their new phone. they setup as much as they can before it needs a charge, they start charging it, get impatient while it charges, unplug the charager when its at 30% and continue to set it up. Samsung probably knows this which i dont think any battery harm could come as a result.

I
    I have read different things about changing the battery. You can fully change it and let it fully deplete, or you can use the phone right out of the box and let it deplete, or pretty much do what you want and it won't harm the battery or cause issues with memory. I've no clue which piece of advice is correct or if all of it or none of it is.
    again its probably safe to say that because carriers, nor samsung, explicitly state how to charge your battery when you first get it, you cant really screw it up. if you could do something that would damage your batteries calibration or conditioning, i promise you carriers would have been instructed to explain this after they give your device for the first time, or there would a huge warning in the box from samsung so its the first thing you see when you open the box..

batteries have come a long way since the 90's and anything you hear about on forums on how not to harm a battery is probably just an old wives tale from years ago.
    CatLady2010 likes this.
    11-04-2014 11:04 AM
    Without trying to be negative, it does seem a little odd that you guys are pleased with 10-12-14hrs of battery life and 5hrs of screen/usage time. Just reading this thread objectively, it appears as you guys have all just become accustomed to this standard, because when you look at those numbers from afar, that really is poor battery life. (perhaps what those people are trying to communicate)

I am very aware of how different the devices are, but i could actually use my old blackberry with the screen on for the equivalent of 48 hours and could leave it on stand by for a week without charging it. The note 4 does have extremely bad battery life in comparison. (Apples to oranges, maybe, but some blackberry passport users are reporting 20 hours of screen time on full charge)
    I average about 6 hours of screen on time on weekdays and 7 on weekends. I have to admit though that when I see that I've been staring at my phone screen that long, it makes me question what I am doing with my life

I consider 6 hours of screen time to be pretty impressive.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    11-04-2014 01:11 PM
    How long my battery lasts depends on usage (duh) , however, I can easily get a whole day with moderate use. Can you provide more daily usage details, e.g. talk time, Internet use, etc...?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-04-2014 01:40 PM
    I'm with sprint and using note 4 and this is my battery stats.

USMC97
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-note4-battery-stats.-38hrs.jpg   Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-note4-battery-stats..-38hrs.jpg  
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    11-04-2014 01:47 PM

Why should it be odd to be pleased with that?

Comparing the Note 4 to the blackberry is silly; the blackberry has a bigger (non-removable) battery and doesn't have as much to power, so it's a no-brainer that it'll last longer. Regardless, while I wouldn't turn down the battery life of your blackberry if it was possible on the Note 4, I didn't buy the Note 4 because of it's battery life. I imagine most of the people you're referring to feel the same way.

It sounds more like you're expecting too much from a phone with a huge amount of tech that needs to be powered. It seems reasonable nowadays to expect to go a full day of moderate use before needing to charge. It's impressive, by that metric at least, that the Note 4 can go significantly longer than that assuming you manage your usage appropriately.
    11-04-2014 02:38 PM
    After what I've learned about lithium-ion batteries, I don't let my battery run down if I can help it. I plug it in while I'm driving, all day at work, and as soon as I get home. The only exception is when I'm out and about, and I can usually get a full day out of the battery, but I have "power-save" turned on.

The less you can discharge and recharge your battery, the longer it will last.
    11-04-2014 02:39 PM

You are correct, but the old blackberries are not a reasonable comparison to any modern smartphone. From processor to display to application capabilities, the difference is enormous. It is no more reasonable to compare battery life on a smartphone to a Blackberry than it is to compare a smartphone to an old Nokia 5110.
    11-04-2014 02:48 PM
    After what I've learned about lithium-ion batteries, I don't let my battery run down if I can help it. I plug it in while I'm driving, all day at work, and as soon as I get home. The only exception is when I'm out and about, and I can usually get a full day out of the battery, but I have "power-save" turned on.

That is a lot of work for me to do that ... I simply just use my battery .. when it runs slow I swap between my spare and keep going. I don't want to be tied down .
    E Murray likes this.
    11-04-2014 02:53 PM

Lithium Ion batteries don't really have much of an issue with charge/discharge like other chemistries (NiCd, for example) do. What degrades Lithium batteries over time is temperature extremes and the degree of discharge the battery is subjected to. Unlike Lithium batteries used for hobby purposes, (RC Cars and planes, for example) most consumer lithium batteries for cellphones and other rechargeable home devices are constructed with onboard circuitry that monitors cell voltage and prevents over discharging. So when your phone is telling you your battery is a "0" it just means it is shutting it off well above the limit that is harmful to the battery.
    11-04-2014 02:53 PM

That sounds like a huge pain. What are the returns we're talking about? I mean, the note 4 has a removable battery, so is there really a major benefit to trying to extend it's life a little longer in return for the inconvenience of always charging it? If the battery dies, it's not a huge expense to replace it.

Edit: LaTuFu's comment came as I was typing my post. With that, it definitely sounds like a waste of effort.
    CatLady2010 likes this.
    11-04-2014 02:54 PM
    I have a Verizon Note 4. My previous phone was a Verizon GS4. My Note 4 gives me much longer battery life, which is remarkable for a few reasons:

1. I used Samsung's Power Saving Mode on my GS4. I did not enable it on my Note 4.
    2. I left location services off on my GS4 except when I needed it for specific apps at a specific time (navigation, checking in with Facebook, etc.). On my Note 4, location services (the power saving option) is ALWAYS on.
    3. I estimate that I use my Note 4 at least 25% more daily than I did my GS4.

On a typical work day, my GS4 was at approximately 15 - 25% remaining battery life before going to bed (I use it from about 7AM - 11PM). On days where I find myself texting a lot or making phone calls, it is not uncommon for the battery to be under 10% by bedtime.

After almost a week with my Note 4, I have not fallen below 40% after a full day of use. Checking battery statistics, I still have about 50% after 16 hours on battery. I'll try to post a screenshot later; I'm only at 6.5 hours on battery today.

I use two battery saving apps so to speak. The first is Snapdragon Battery Guru. The second is Tasker where I have a profile that turns on WiFi and silent mode at work, disables WiFi for my commute home (I take the train), then turns on WiFi and sound when I get home.

For settings that I adjusted to save battery:

1. Screen brightness at ~40%. At 50% it is a little too bright for me.
    2. Screen timeout after 15 seconds of inactivity.
    3. Location - mode is power saving
    4. Mobile networks - preferred network mode is LTE/CDMA (default was global)

As impressive as the display is (and it is awesome), I am most surprised by the battery life I'm getting. I was hoping for at least as much battery life as my GS4, considering the Note 4 had a bigger and brighter display. I never thought I'd get significantly better battery life.
    11-04-2014 03:02 PM
    I have a Verizon Note 4. My previous phone was a Verizon GS4. My Note 4 gives me much longer battery life, which is remarkable for a few reasons...
    Your battery life, usage, and other stuff with your S4 and N4 closely mirror my own experiences all the way around. Although I don't use tasker or snapdragon.
    11-04-2014 03:05 PM
    Camera was a big selling point for me too, I've taken a few shots and they turned out incredibly. Also I was really impressed with the 50% charge in 30 minutes, which works out great when I lose 10% per hour. Really Really contemplating listing this on ebay, collecting 600+ dollars for it and then buying a One Plus for $350 and cashing in.

Has anyone with Verizon received that firmware update?
    I don't believe we're expecting an update from Verizon. At least not anything that I've heard of. One of the other carriers had an update but that doesn't necessarily mean it's something the Verizon version needs. Someone suggested to me that i should disable the battery % on the notification bar. I did that and it's made a nice difference. Though you may end up needing to swap phones or try a new battery, try a few battery saving tips first.

11-04-2014 03:09 PM
    Mine is giving me great battery life.
    11-04-2014 03:23 PM
    Gsam battery app is what I use.

Charging from a pc's USB outlet is not a good source of power. Use the supplied fast charger, or another AC charger. USB ports are notoriously slow charging. I'd agree and say your radio is searching for a signal too often, draining battery life. Return/exchange at Verizon. Good luck.

11-04-2014 03:42 PM
    That is a lot of work for me to do that ... I simply just use my battery .. when it runs slow I swap between my spare and keep going. I don't want to be tied down .
    Agreed. Spare batteries are pretty cheap and very easy to swap. With this new fast charger, I go fro. 5% to 50% in no time, so half the tine no swap is needed. I use my batteries and don't waste any time worrying about it.

DETERMINOLOGY likes this.
    11-04-2014 03:47 PM
    Just checked charging current on my PC usb. 786ma is not notorious and it was still rising. It's just not real fast. It's about the same as my wireless setup.

OP, you might look for a post I put in one of the other many 'horrible battery' threads. There could be many reasons. Mine was fantastic until I tried Words with Friends for my daughter. Then it was bad. Then I found the fix and it is fine again.

I really doubt that the proper solution is returning the phone. Returning a phone is quite a PIA and to have it suggested as often as it is in this thread, let alone in others, just doesn't make sense.

I don't know what the engineering standard is but it has to be a tiny percentage of actual swap-worthy problems. They all work when they leave the factory. Everything is tested. There are SO many apps and combinations of them now that it just about has to be something that was done to the phone and not the phone itself.

An example might be Note 3s after KitKat. The phones weren't broke but they didn't work right (battery, signal issues). You CAN take your phone back to Verizon. Set it up exactly the same and I'd bet you have the same problem...I didn't intend a rant here. Just reached my limit of "take it back's for the morning.

Gsam battery app is what I use.

Charging from a pc's USB outlet is not a good source of power. Use the supplied fast charger, or another AC charger. USB ports are notoriously slow charging. I'd agree and say your radio is searching for a signal too often, draining battery life. Return/exchange at Verizon. Good luck.

11-05-2014 08:54 AM
    Battery stats after a typical day of use.

Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-battery-ss-110414.jpg
    11-05-2014 02:09 PM
    Camera was a big selling point for me too, I've taken a few shots and they turned out incredibly. Also I was really impressed with the 50% charge in 30 minutes, which works out great when I lose 10% per hour. Really Really contemplating listing this on ebay, collecting 600+ dollars for it and then buying a One Plus for $350 and cashing in.

Has anyone with Verizon received that firmware update?
    Just an FYI the One Plus will not work on Verizon. Try the Droid Turbo if you want a huge battery but the Note 4 should be getting better battery life. If I were you I would give it a few days.
    11-05-2014 02:24 PM
    My battery life is pretty much the same as my Note 3, neither good nor bad - which in the greater scheme of things can be considered as a bad thing. I've been through several cycles of draining the battery, since I got Da Machine. However, I get 7 1/2 to 8 hrs of battery life . And I do all the needed adjustments for power consumption, before people suggest the obvious fixes.

Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-screenshot_2014-11-05-13-43-53.jpg  
    11-05-2014 03:47 PM
    What SOT?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    11-05-2014 04:13 PM
    Sprint Galaxy Note 4

USMC97
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-note4.-46hrs.jpg   Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE  BATTERY LIFE-note4.-46hrs...jpg  
    11-05-2014 07:25 PM
    11-06-2014 08:22 AM
    My battery life is pretty much the same as my Note 3, neither good nor bad - which in the greater scheme of things can be considered as a bad thing. I've been through several cycles of draining the battery, since I got Da Machine. However, I get 7 1/2 to 8 hrs of battery life . And I do all the needed adjustments for power consumption, before people suggest the obvious fixes.

What is your screen-on time? Since you're saying you always tend to get poor battery life, it could be to do with how you're using the phone. If you tap on "Screen", you can get some more detailed usage stats. You can get even more by tapping on the battery life graph. Screenshots of those things would make it easier to try and help you.
    11-06-2014 09:05 AM
213 12345 ...