Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE BATTERY LIFE

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I can't be the only person who is having this issue, and maybe someone can tell me if they think I got a faulty battery or something.
Ok first want to throw out there I have had an iPhone for the past 4 years and have not had a droid since like 2010 when I had the R2D2 edition Motorola that came out.

I keep reading how everyone loves the battery on this Galaxy Note 4 but mine is crap. Literally, the worst phone battery I have ever had, worse than any flip phone I had in 2001. I keep my screen brightness bar at about 25% of the full bar, maybe a bit less, so it's not like I am blasting the screen brightness all the way up and it is not on Auto. My numbers are as follow:

Screen: 40% of battery
Android System: 12%
Android OS: 10%

I have friends with the One Plus One phone and they show around 5% or less on system and OS after a full day of use and have around 70% battery at 5pm after it being unplugged since 8am. My phone on the other hand is below 20% by 5pm. Now I read that there was some firmware update to help the battery and maybe Verizon has not released that yet? I'm hoping that is my problem but this phone is literally a nightmare. My iPhone 4 has better battery life and that battery is 3 years old now.

I almost want to just list the phone on Ebay and buy the One Plus or the Find 7. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:':)':)'(

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Try doing a wipe and resetting the phone back to factory and see if that helps. When I got my phone the carrier had set it up bypassing all the stuff I wanted to learn about, so I never really tested the device the first time around and watched it's battery life. I haven't had to charge my device for 3 days now. My battery is at 23%.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have the Verizon variant as well, but my battery life is pretty good. I can pretty much get an entire days use out of it. I keep my screen at auto brightness and I even have bluetooth on constantly connecting to my Moto 360. Maybe you have either a bad battery or a bad phone? Maybe you should try and return it and see if another one does the same thing.

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I want to say this without sounding too dramatic or like I am exaggerating, but I think I lose around 10% of my battery per hour. A very generous estimate would be 5% of my battery an hour.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what I am losing, but I would try to exchange it first. Other than the battery life, how do you like the phone?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Post screen shots of your battery life including SOT on both devices.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I've been incredibly impressed by my version note 4 battery life. 2 days ago I got 23 hours and 15 minutes with 36% left on the battery before deciding to charge it (fell asleep without charging it the night before) and today I have 41% left with 13 hours of usage. That's normal usage, not heavy usage just day to day stuff constant texting occasional YouTube videos lots of Bluetooth and music, Internet surfing and news reading, no games or GPS stuff though. I will say power saver mode in its stock form without messing with the settings is really effective I've been using it and it has definitely helped. I'd say your battery is defective, you don't have it set up properly (apps included), or you are really a heavy heavy user.

wishwish82

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Surfing the net, browsing through this forum just now for about 10 mins drained 5% of battery. Just got my phone from Verizon on friday. Anyone know if it's been released with the firmware updated?

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I really do like the phone, but this can't be normal. Now please note on this screenshot today was the first time I have used the Here app for more than maybe 10 minutes, I had it on for about 1 hour 30 minutes, it's not using data the map has been downloaded for offline use.

Edit* I have also disabled most of the verizon bloatware that has come on the device, and I am constantly closing all open running apps, so it's not like 20 apps are running at a time, usually just 1-2.

Screenshot_2014-11-02-21-06-57.jpg
Screenshot_2014-11-02-21-06-43.jpg

CatLady2010

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Note 4 for about 12 hours now. I'm not at all sure what to expect from the battery. The guy in the store said nothing about conditioning the battery or anything else about it. He set it up, showed me some features, and sent me on my way.

I took possession of the phone with about 50% battery and played with it until about 25%. I charged it a while in my car, but not long enough for a full charge. I did that later, at home. I'm now at 81% and not plugged in.

I have been playing with the phone a lot, mostly setting things up and getting to know the features. What I've been doing could well affect battery life, as far as u know.

I have read different things about changing the battery. You can fully change it and let it fully deplete, or you can use the phone right out of the box and let it deplete, or pretty much do what you want and it won't harm the battery or cause issues with memory. I've no clue which piece of advice is correct or if all of it or none of it is.

My last two phones were iPhones, and the battery life got worse over time. I noticed that the battery depleted much faster when I used the camera for long periods of time (such as taking long walks along the river). The camera on the Note 4 is what attracted me to this phone. Will I have the same battery problem with this phone? I suppose it's quite possible.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Camera was a big selling point for me too, I've taken a few shots and they turned out incredibly. Also I was really impressed with the 50% charge in 30 minutes, which works out great when I lose 10% per hour. Really Really contemplating listing this on ebay, collecting 600+ dollars for it and then buying a One Plus for $350 and cashing in.

Has anyone with Verizon received that firmware update?

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Surfing the net, browsing through this forum just now for about 10 mins drained 5% of battery. Just got my phone from Verizon on friday. Anyone know if it's been released with the firmware updated?
No firmware update, and no complaint from me. Post your screens hots so we can help better.

I really do like the phone, but this can't be normal. Now please note on this screenshot today was the first time I have used the Here app for more than maybe 10 minutes, I had it on for about 1 hour 30 minutes, it's not using data the map has been downloaded for offline use.

Edit* I have also disabled most of the verizon bloatware that has come on the device, and I am constantly closing all open running apps, so it's not like 20 apps are running at a time, usually just 1-2.
First and foremost, screen shot what shows up when you click on the graph and screen shot what pops up when you click on the screen tab under the graph. That's need info to help you. Secondly constantly closing apps in the recent apps and emptying the ram is a waste of time and just makes things slower, the phone has 3gb of ram for a reason it can handle it android is made for that.

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
It will get better as it cycles through a couple times, use it from 100% to as low as you can muster rinse and repeat. Really not a big deal either way just charge it using the provided charger to 100% and use the phone normally.

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
If you look at my first screenshot to the ones just posted from 9:02 to 9:36, it's plugged into my computer, from 41% to 45%? I've only used hangouts for texting in that time

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
If you look at my first screenshot to the ones just posted from 9:02 to 9:36, it's plugged into my computer, from 41% to 45%? I've only used hangouts for texting in that time
That has little to do with the phone and everything to do with your computer. It is only giving the phone a small amount of power hence the slow charging, plug into the wall with the provided charger and you'll be impressed.

Like I said before....first Android phone in about 5 years so I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but here you go.
How long have you had the phone? Mine was great out of the box and got even better, but its not unrealistic if your phone is a day or two old that the battery needs to get a couple good full cycles (and real ones, not charging it off and on from you laptop giving it just enough juice to charge it a tad) to break in. All batteries have a break in period where they get better after a couple duty cycles.

It just looks like bad battery life mainly, it shows you are losing signal quite a bit though so a part of it could be your phone roaming for a signal or an antenna issue. Also having GPS and bluetooth on when not in use will unnecessarily drain you battery not helping the cause, and GPS will obviously kill it faster then just about anything save for games. Is your brightness at max as well? 40% drain from your screen alone is rather high. You should expect from a properly broken in and working note 4 to give you high 5's to low 6 hours of screen on time a day.

My suggestion would to A. if it is new give it a chance to break in and do like I said with the battery or B. get a replacement unit. The note 4 is a proven beast when it comes to battery life, don't discount all note 4's because of your phone there are a ton of factors at play here.

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey Yeatzee,

Thanks for the info. I've actually had the phone since October 23rd....and I keep my screen brightness right around this level (see screenshot).

I've also noticed a few instances I can't send a single snapchat in locations where on my iphone 5s I had perfect reception...which seems kind of weird so maybe it's a faulty phone?

Screenshot_2014-11-02-21-06-57.jpg