Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE BATTERY LIFE

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey Yeatzee,

Thanks for the info. I've actually had the phone since October 23rd....and I keep my screen brightness right around this level (see screenshot).

I've also noticed a few instances I can't send a single snapchat in locations where on my iphone 5s I had perfect reception...which seems kind of weird so maybe it's a faulty phone?

View attachment 145500
We've had the phone the same amount of time then. I'd say it is a faulty antenna then, causing the phone to roam looking for a signal destroying your battery life. My note 4 has much better service then any other phone i've had in the same area's and it gives me more bars then my girlfriends iphone 5s in the same spot. Your brightness is higher then I go indoors, but thats not enough to account for that battery life. I keep GPS off and bluetooth off when not in use, but I've used both quite a bit and it didn't rape my battery life either. I've recorded a screen shot of every day (minus 1 or 2 odd days where I charged in the middle for various reasons) I've had the phone to watch battery life and this is what they say (i can post the pictures if you want but it just takes up bandwith)
12h46m with 23% life left and SOT of 5hr10min
10h56m with 13% life left and SOT of 6hr8min
13h47min with 19% life left and SOT of 5hr43min
12h25m with 9% life left and SOT of 6hr12m
15h47m with 13% life left and SOT of 4hr44m
22h15m with 36% life left and SOT of 4hr16m
14h35m with 31% life left and SOT of 4h 24m <-- current battery

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
my Phone has now been on my USB 3.0 in my computer, almost have not touched on the screen. 49% battery and it's been plugged in since 9:06 and it is now 10:30....that is not normal from 41% to 49% in that long.

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
my Phone has now been on my USB 3.0 in my computer, almost have not touched on the screen. 49% battery and it's been plugged in since 9:06 and it is now 10:30....that is not normal from 41% to 49% in that long.
USB 3.0 to my knowledge does not boost power, like I said already your computer is not going to give it nearly enough power use a wall outlet even for just 15 minutes it will give you 20% added

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
We've had the phone the same amount of time then. I'd say it is a faulty antenna then, causing the phone to roam looking for a signal destroying your battery life. My note 4 has much better service then any other phone i've had in the same area's and it gives me more bars then my girlfriends iphone 5s in the same spot. Your brightness is higher then I go indoors, but thats not enough to account for that battery life.

This.

Reception should be great...and a faulty antenna could easily be driving the radio into overtime searching for a signal.

Philip600rr

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I had to do a factory reset on the 1st day. Due to stuff not working right. Battery life was marginal the 1st day but I was on it for a solid 4hrs setting it up and downloading all my apps etc. Now battery life is good but not as good as my S5. Fast charge is the equalizer....

Posted via Android Central App

adam9997

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty convinced that the Verizon Note 4 has some sort of Wifi issue. I've noticed on few occasions that the wifi connection gets dropped and the phone gets stuck in the "obtaining ip address". I noticed this on my home fios and office dlink routers. Only way to reestablish connection is to either put the phone on the airplane mode or simply restart it. When it loses wifi connection it drains the phone battery pretty quickly. Otherwise my battery life has been excellent roughly 50-60% left by 4pm on office wifi. My wifes note 4 has the same issue, of course she didn't notice the wifi disconnect and she quickly accumulated 4.5GB of data in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully this will be addressed by a software update similar to S5.

56note4

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
i am not having this issue... i do keep my brightmess really low and constantly use greenify to hibernate all my apps and close all my apps and i am dilligent about shutting off wifi and bluetooth when not in use... most days after 16 hours of use I have 40% left.... i am connected to a corporate vpn server and receive continiuous emails throughout the day ... this battery DESTROYS my previous iPhone 5s battery

56note4

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty convinced that the Verizon Note 4 has some sort of Wifi issue. I've noticed on few occasions that the wifi connection gets dropped and the phone gets stuck in the "obtaining ip address". I noticed this on my home fios and office dlink routers. Only way to reestablish connection is to either put the phone on the airplane mode or simply restart it. When it loses wifi connection it drains the phone battery pretty quickly. Otherwise my battery life has been excellent roughly 50-60% left by 4pm on office wifi. My wifes note 4 has the same issue, of course she didn't notice the wifi disconnect and she quickly accumulated 4.5GB of data in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully this will be addressed by a software update similar to S5.
i have verizon and have had zero issues with WiFi

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

I use my Note 4 at home (on a Cisco Meraki) and at work on a Rukus WiFi network and I don't haven't had any issues with WiFi so far.

adam9997

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
This only happened to me twice and on wives phone three times so maybe it's an app issue, but I've seen similar wifi issue posts. I know S5 had similar issues and it was quickly addressed by an ota update

adam9997

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Just offering possible cause to a claimed "horrible battery life" thanks for your concern and input though.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcoltrane123

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Like I said before....first Android phone in about 5 years so I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but here you go.
View attachment 145492
View attachment 145493
View attachment 145494
View attachment 145495
Dude, look at your first screenshot, see that SOLID blue line under WIFI?! That graphic covers SIX hours plus and your wifi is on constantly for the entire SIX hours!

Why?

Look at the other shots, barely any wifi transfers at all. Check your browser(s), Google Play, etc. How much are the up/down transfers? I'd wager not much.

You are burning thru your battery with an "always on" wifi radio that is barely being utilized. This is where your battery usage is going.

Screen use is the primary battery killer. Second is WIFI (and/or other radios) use. "Always on" is wholly uneccesary.

The third battery offender (perhaps second for many) is Facebook and the other such social network apps. Which are almost constantly "phoning home" using wifi or data. Even when the phone is sleeping, the apps use wakelocks to turn on the phone to phone home.

So, you need to manage wifi much better, and possibly your social networking apps.

For comparison here are a few screens from my Note 3 over a 3 day period. Through great effort I get extraordinary battery use which cannot be compared; but note my wifi "on" use. It is not constant and equals probably a third of yours—over 3 days of (for me) mild use. I am a truly heavy user of this "handheld computer".

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415064957675.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415064957675.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 104
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415064978498.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415064978498.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 105
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415064995049.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415064995049.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 105

cbeattie411

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
My battery life had been phenomenal. Verizon

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-03-21-57-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-03-21-57-52.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 247

Lightshield

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I purposefully tried to kill my battery on my Verizon Note yesterday and ended up with almost 5 1/2 hours screen on time, connected to my Moto 360 the whole time, screen on Auto. I was pretty pleased.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Why would I ever waste my data sitting at work when I could be in Wifi

You shouldn't have to turn off wifi to get better battery life, it's 2014. I leave WiFi on 24/7 on my phones, regardless if there is a connection available and it doesn't effect my battery life much at all. I would try returning the phone to a Verizon store, doing a DOA (dead on arrival) and getting a brand new Note 4 before the 6th when your 14 days are up to see if that will correct the problem. I will say, having a Turbo with a smaller screen & bigger battery, I would not get over 24 hours use out of it and I blame that on the 4k screen. It's going to use a lot more battery than any 1080p phone or <720p that the majority of iPhones have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20